Propane Heater

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
pigeon
Participant
Participant

Propane Heater

Post by pigeon »

I am thinking going to buy a propane heater like the Sunflower style propane heater.

I wonder is this type of propane heater only work in the hub like enclosed area?

Can you really feel the heat from the heater if you are sitting 3 feet away from the heater outdoor in an open area?

What is the minimum BTU rating you need to get?

Thanks
OntarioRider
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Propane Heater

Post by OntarioRider »

I have had success with my sunflower type heater both inside and out of my shelter.
I have turned it on outside the hut and sat/stood near it .. mostly just to warm up hands.
I bought a 10 lb tank for mine recently from Levac in Perth. Much lighter and easier to pack than the 20 lb I used last year.
fishin mission
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by fishin mission »

I use a sunflower and its 6000 btu on low 8000 btu on med and 12000 btu on high i would never change from this heater for anything. Have had it for almost 25 yrs now with no issues whatsoever
i have gone with friends that have buddy heaters they work but on real cold days there just enough to keep you warm only thing with the sunflower heater they make a bit more noise and as long as you have a door cracked open for ventallation your good to go but 12000 btu and your peeling off jackets your so warm ! I have a 5lb propane bottle i hook up to it. In my opinion this is the way to go ,,,,,,but thats just my opinion ! good luck !

Just a note saw a sunflower heater the other day at sail and it only puts out 5000 btu so be careful which one you buy get the BTU reading off the box !
BIGEYES25
Participant
Participant

Post by BIGEYES25 »

I bought one of these for my shack this year and it works great. Just need to be careful how close you get, a good friend melted his gloves without even knowing it.

I'm curious to see how long my 20 lbs tank will last.
fishin mission
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by fishin mission »

I bought one of these for my shack this year and it works great. Just need to be careful how close you get, a good friend melted his gloves without even knowing it.

lol @ getting too close i have a pair of ski pants i had to retire due to a big burn hole in them so i know all about that
my 5 lb propane bottle last me 16hr +........ so a 20 lb would be good for a long freeking time for sure.
reboot
Participant
Participant

Post by reboot »

BIGEYES25 wrote:I bought one of these for my shack this year and it works great. Just need to be careful how close you get, a good friend melted his gloves without even knowing it.

Based on personal experience, don't try to dry clothing close to the heater... Being the genius that I am, I tried to dry the inside of my gloves about 2 feet away from my sunflower heater and ended up melting some of the rubbery linings... Just glad I didn't light the down feathers or the whole thing would go poof :P