Mississippi Lake problems

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
BigDaddyD
Participant
Participant

Mississippi Lake problems

Post by BigDaddyD »

Big Daddy D here with a problem that hopefully someone can answer.
Sunday afternoon Jan 18 I had an opportunity to try ice fishing on Mississippi lake with some friends who live on the lake.
I drove on at a friends private launch off 10th line. we stayed far south from the main city set up, and set up our holes in 10' water and 20" ice.
We caught a good number of Perch and nothing else, 6 of the Perch where above 12" and where kept.

At Home when I cleaned the fish all 6 where full of worms. Is this common on the Mississippi?
I normally fish Rideau and maybe 1 out of 10 will have a worm.

Should I have been fishing deeper?
gatekeeper
Participant
Participant

Re: Mississippi Lake problems

Post by gatekeeper »

Find that fish from shallow,warm water have more of a tendency to have "Worms". There appear to be two types.One looks like meat "Shot" with black pepper,other actually will move when poked in meat. According to MNR neither pose a health hazard to us Humans,but,man they sure look ugly!Usually give these pieces to guests after cooking!My Bad!!
flewdogg
Participant
Participant

Post by flewdogg »

I caught a bunch of perch in Mississippi River a couple years ago, took them home and cleaned them, they were full of little white worms. Just unappetizing, but not harmful apparently. These were from the same system as your perch. Not a coincidence. Contrast this to a few pike I kept from the same river last fall. Was worried they'd have worms too but they were clean, and oh so tasty.
ShawnD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by ShawnD »

I read that freezing them kills off the worms.
President of the Ottawa Valley South Bassmasters
http://www.ottawabassmasters.com/
clint
Participant
Participant

Post by clint »

BigDaddyD wrote:I drove on at a friends private launch off 10th line. we stayed far south from the main city set up, and set up our holes in 10' water and 20" ice.

were you guys in a pick up with a pop up shelter and had a couple dogs with you?
BigDaddyD
Participant
Participant

Post by BigDaddyD »

Yes that was use.
clint
Participant
Participant

Post by clint »

i was the guy on the grey snowmobile that went past you a bunch of times because i kept forgetting stuff at home.
any chance any one was looking outside when i hit the big drift on one of my passes? lol.
BigDaddyD
Participant
Participant

Post by BigDaddyD »

No we missed it. Tunes might have been to loud in side Lol.
Next time you see the blue ram and the blue Clam stop in.
You can let me know where all the good spots are.
I'm Daryl
Or Big Daddy D LOL
chappee77
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by chappee77 »

clint wrote:i was the guy on the grey snowmobile that went past you a bunch of times because i kept forgetting stuff at home.
any chance any one was looking outside when i hit the big drift on one of my passes? lol.
I hit a drift in that same area on Saturday, it must have launched me 4ft in the air. The big ones are
hard to spot in the daytime, much easier at night with the headlites. My sled is a black and red sxviper, my shack is not to far from you lads.
Jholder
Participant
Participant

Post by Jholder »

Yupp gotta watch out for them drifts boys :shock: . I too always saw worms in most of my pannies/bass from that system & or similair styles of waterbodys, didnt worry me much but i tend to only keep pike/walleye for the eaters as they tend to have many less in my experience.
Tight Lines.
Wally
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Wally »

Same here on Lac-Ste-Marie last summer perch and bass were full of worms,not keeping them anymore.
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Pretty tough to find any perch in our area that aren't wormy. If you can find a deep water Perch bite you'll be ok, not easy though. I know of only two.

RJ
BigDaddyD
Participant
Participant

Post by BigDaddyD »

I find the perch on the rideau to not be wormy. but it is a bigger body of water with more movement.
Ill be fishing Muskrat this weekend in deeper water so ill compare the body's of water and fish on sunday.
Corey Gaffney
Participant
Participant

Post by Corey Gaffney »

This lake has always had problems with the panfish being full of worms. Prolly because of how shallow it is. Anybody but driving out down at the large basin end.