Mr Buddy Heater- Preventing Tank freeze up

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
servin28
Participant
Participant

Mr Buddy Heater- Preventing Tank freeze up

Post by servin28 »

I was given a Mr. Buddy heater to me for Christmas this year. I have had it out a couple times and have found that the propane tanks seem to freeze up in about an hour or 2. I usually sit the heater right on the ice, which is probably my number one problem' but i was wondering if anyone has come up with any ideas to keep the heater off the ice and prevent this from happening.
Last edited by servin28 on Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CyrusG
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Mr Buddy Heater- Preventing Tanks freeze up

Post by CyrusG »

I used to have the same problem but now i connect my heater to a big propane tank and it lasts the whole outing.
Cy
reboot
Participant
Participant

Post by reboot »

Is it the outside of the tank that freezes up? I use 1lb tanks with the heater mounted on top of it and after a few hours, the whole tank is pretty much covered in ice and I thought it was normal lol
fishin mission
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by fishin mission »

bring a old plastic milk crate and your heater can sit on it and you can put your flasher inside the crate if you lay it sideways .....
Troutskiii
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Troutskiii »

Keep the tank off the ice and snow, cut a 1ft section of a 2x6 or 2x8 and just sit it on the wood to keep it up off the ground. Will develop some ice on the tank but nothing like having it directly on the ice.
servin28
Participant
Participant

Post by servin28 »

Thanks for all the tips guys, I am going to fishing missions milk crate idea this weekend and go from there,

Cheers,
Ducker2
Participant
Participant

Post by Ducker2 »

I used a Mr buddy heater for the past 3 seasons with the small propane tank. The small tanks always freeze especially when they start to get low. You also waste a lot of propane. I would suggest buying the adapter hose 5.5 ft and a fuel filter for the buddy heater they sell them at princess and use a 20lb tank. I just purchased a big buddy heater and filter ran it yesterday on the 20lb tank with no issues. I also read without using a filter with the hose adapter it can gum up the components. This is the way to go I don't think putting the heater on wood or Styrofoam makes any difference. Just my opinion. THe big buddy heater has 3 settings and a battery operated fan built in. On low setting with the fan running a tank will last a long time and Costco sells propane refills cheaper then 3 pak of 2lb tanks.
servin28
Participant
Participant

Post by servin28 »

Ducker2 wrote:I used a Mr buddy heater for the past 3 seasons with the small propane tank. The small tanks always freeze especially when they start to get low. You also waste a lot of propane. I would suggest buying the adapter hose 5.5 ft and a fuel filter for the buddy heater they sell them at princess and use a 20lb tank. I just purchased a big buddy heater and filter ran it yesterday on the 20lb tank with no issues. I also read without using a filter with the hose adapter it can gum up the components. This is the way to go I don't think putting the heater on wood or Styrofoam makes any difference. Just my opinion. THe big buddy heater has 3 settings and a battery operated fan built in. On low setting with the fan running a tank will last a long time and Costco sells propane refills cheaper then 3 pak of 2lb tanks.
Thanks for the ideas. only concern with using a 20lb tank is the additional weight if I decide to walk anywhere-unlikely but it happens. would the 5lb tanks work with the hose adapter? where did you buy your filter for the hose?

thanks Ducker2
fishin mission
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: Mr Buddy Heater- Preventing Tank freeze up

Post by fishin mission »

I agree with the 20lb tank too heavy i got mine(5lbs) at Bruno's Garage(google it) on merivale road the tank is refitted and good for 10yrs and Sail sells the hoses and so does Princess auto as for the filter sorry can't help you there i dont use a filter on mine i have a sunflower heater no filtre required hope this helps you.
Ducker2
Participant
Participant

Post by Ducker2 »

Princess auto sells the filters & the hoses. I know my farther in law has 5lb refillable tank. They exist but probably purchased at a propane supply company or Canadian tire. This would be an option if your concerned with weight and would probably perform better than a 2lb and you can refill this.
MLR
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by MLR »

What really sucks is the price of the 5 and 10 pound tanks at crappy tire. Why are smaller tanks 20 bucks more than. The 20. Pound tanks
Bass Addict
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Bass Addict »

MLR wrote:What really sucks is the price of the 5 and 10 pound tanks at crappy tire. Why are smaller tanks 20 bucks more than. The 20. Pound tanks
Why are unsalted crackers more expensive than salted crackers.???
There will be an influx of Great Grey Owls in the winter of 2017
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

Bytown Auto Propane on Cleopatra Dr. also sells refurbished propane tanks of all sizes. I think that's who Brunos uses. http://www.bytownautopropane.ca/Propane ... alGas.html. I picked up a 5lb tank there for my dads Road Trek camper van.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
C5
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by C5 »

I have 2 old toques I use to cover the little propane tanks and throw one of the costco handwarmer packs into them the am before I travel (it is the travel that seems to freeze them up.. then another mid day if necessary.. cheap and easy way to keep tanks warm.. I also sit heater on a piece of ridgid styrofoam.. no idea if this helps, but I have another for my feet and that helps for sure.
I find the small tanks more convenient
stay warm my friends
fishin mission
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by fishin mission »

I got a 5 lb cylinder from Bruno auto on merivale road for 35 dollars refitted and good for 10 yrs!