flouro to braid knots

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

flouro to braid knots

Post by Jimmy_1 »

What is the best knot to tie a flouro leader to ice braid?
cgates
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: flouro to braid knots

Post by cgates »

A small swivel only because I don't think you need a 4foot lead but that's just me I'd go with a foot.... I never trust my knots had to break this summer of good fish when drop shoting I was PO'D
Gord
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Post by Gord »

Double Uni Knot......google it. :wink: :)
I'm a goin' fishin', mama's goin' fishin' and my baby's goin fishin' too.

.......Taj Mahal.... "Fishin' Blues"
rex.stpierre
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by rex.stpierre »

Gord wrote:Double Uni Knot......google it. :wink: :)
YES BIG TIME!!!

Ive reeled in 15+ pound fish from under the ice with that knot...
This year I spent most of my money on beer, women and fishing...the rest I wasted.
ShawnD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by ShawnD »

X3 for the the double uniknot aka blood knot or uni to uni knot.

There's also an alberto knot but I trust the uni to uni knot.
President of the Ottawa Valley South Bassmasters
http://www.ottawabassmasters.com/
curls
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by curls »

I've used the Alberto knot for years with not a single breakage. In fact I had the same piece of FC leader tied on my dropshot rig (to 20# braid mainline) for an entire season without an issue.
biggs
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by biggs »

curls wrote:I've used the Alberto knot for years with not a single breakage. In fact I had the same piece of FC leader tied on my dropshot rig (to 20# braid mainline) for an entire season without an issue.
x2. I think I might do the modified one though?
I go 5-7ish down and 5-7ish back up. If you know the knot, you'll know what I mean.
curls
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by curls »

biggs wrote:
curls wrote:I've used the Alberto knot for years with not a single breakage. In fact I had the same piece of FC leader tied on my dropshot rig (to 20# braid mainline) for an entire season without an issue.
x2. I think I might do the modified one though?
I go 5-7ish down and 5-7ish back up. If you know the knot, you'll know what I mean.
The Alberto is a more modified Albright... I think. I do 5-7 down and 5-7 up as well. I've heard people do it with 3-4 but I figure why risk it.
CyrusG
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by CyrusG »

You shouldn't have any problems with a double uni knot, I've used it on 8-100 pound braid.
Cy
curls
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by curls »

Maple
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Maple »

I go with a tiny swivel between the braid and fluoro. A palomar knot on both sides.

Then you can downsize to a tiny snap at the lure/hook, and jig all day without getting twisted line.
OutdoorActionOntario
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant
Location: Ottawa Region, Georgian Bay region, Kawartha Lakes Region

Post by OutdoorActionOntario »

Let me just say - I love this topic. I know for a fact that the line you are using has such a huge impact on your game on the water - I now put a lot of effort into ensuring every reel has the right line on it for what and how I am fishing. It is so important, yet also one of the most easily overlooked aspects of fishing, in my humble opinion.

Although I'm not writing from a hard-water perspective, I am going to share what I have found with you...

When I spent a lot of money on new equipment and got very "technique-specific" in my bass-fishing, this meant a lot of different line applications.

Since I love to use Braid on my spinning gear, it forced me to pair a proper fluoro leader to my braid as I fish a lot of clear water conditions with highly pressured fish, so I need every advantage over them I can create...

A few times out last season (2014) early on, I suffered a couple of very clear knot failures, and after some research I decided I needed to enhance my understanding of fishing knots and the different knots for different techniques/lines to go along with my burgeoning knowledge of the other equipment I was using...

First - my main braid to fluoro leader knot that I use almost exclusively now due to ease of tying and pure strength: The Seaguar knot (I use the Seaguar Premier Leader material http://www.lebaron.ca/pdf_files_sp13/seaguar.pdf- it is softer, stronger and has a smaller diameter at 12 pound test than you will find on most 6-8 pound fluoro mainlines - I also do at least 5 twists around to enhance the strength, and as always you really need to goober these ones up when you wet them before tightening the knot.)

http://www.netknots.com/fishing_knots/seaguar-knot/

Secondly - A few times out, I was not having my knots break at my connection to the braid, rather they were cleanly severing right where I was tying my Palomar knots to the lure. After very brief research I found out why - the Flurocarbon was cutting ITSELF when I was setting the hook, therefore snapping or drastically weakening my line. I felt pretty dumb that I didn't know this prior to hitting the water but we are always learning in the sport of angling...

I found the following knot, known as the "San Diego Jam knot" and I now utilize this knot for tying any and all fluoro lines to a lure:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlhmcOarvck

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tuJMvzcNWw

FYI I reduced my break-offs to ZERO from the point I started using the San Diego Jam knot in the Summer of 2014 onward as my leader to lure knot...

Full disclosure - I still use the Palomar knot for any mono or straight braid ties to the lure.

I hope you are able to utilize some of these pointers to up your own game on the water. Sorry this is not hard-water specific but these knots hold well regardless of the season I believe you will find.

Tight lines!

~OAO~
OutdoorActionOntario - Ottawa ON
BC FD
Participant
Participant

Post by BC FD »

Double uni knot. Check netknots.com for animated how to tie. We use the double uni for all our rods down south from 15lb braid with 25 or 40lb flouro up to 65lb braid and 125lb flouro. Going to be fishing Charlotte Harbor and the Gulf of Mexico by Feb 15. yee haa! Counting down the days already.Mitch
tbone1088
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by tbone1088 »

In the summer I would go with the double uni knot. However when your ice fishing a small swivel will be better . The reason is simply line twist as mentioned earlier in this thread. Gord Pyzer says that if you can reduce line twist in your ice fishing presentations, your catch rate will go up around 30 percent!!! Fish don't like when your lure is supposed to be sitting still for them to eat and instead it's spinning like a top. This happens for many reasons, most of the time it is from over jigging or the drag slipping when you have a a fish. Either way, it's an easy fix with a swivel.
Farlane94
Participant
Participant

Post by Farlane94 »

For sure it's the Double Uni. A bit weird to tie at first but is fantastic for attaching two lines. Use it for all my leader materials in bass season and it is very strong when done properly.