Back lakes ice

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
cgates
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Back lakes ice

Post by cgates »

Can anyone tell me what the ice conditions might be like on the back lakes in the calabogie area looking to hit some brookies on new years day
Chris
smokercraft
Participant
Participant

Re: Back lakes ice

Post by smokercraft »

I can only confirm that I was out on White Lake on boxing day and the ice was starting to get sketchy. There was about 7 inches of ice previous (4 inches black ice and near 4 inches of frozen slush on top) On boxing day, the clear ice was starting to deteriorate from underneath and get a little bit honeycombed. There was no water on top.... just hard white ice. I don't think I would have been comfortable on the ice after boxing day especially as I know how fast it can go after it gets honeycomb. These cold temps however will make a huge improvement... just not sure how much or how strong honeycomb ice is after it refreezes? With no snow on top, it will help a lot. Anyone been out to white lake in the last day or 2 to confirm conditions? I was on Pickeral Bay. oh... and my ice hut is missing after the crazy wind..... was anchored in but it broke the eye hooks and sailed away!!! Must have been crazy windy! I couldn't believe it did that. I have a good idea where it is and might even be able to see it on the opposite shoreline but the ice wasn't good enough to go wandering around that day. Will attempt to retrieve it next weekend or maybe new years day. Hopefully its still in one piece
Tip-up
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Tip-up »

There is ice but best to take a drive up yourself and check the conditions rather than looking for input online. Checked out some small slews yesterday for crappies and was surprised to see no ice.
arnpriormike
Participant
Participant

Post by arnpriormike »

we have cold nights coming. The ice is fine.