Stocking list. How accurate is it?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
qcconnection
Participant
Participant

Stocking list. How accurate is it?

Post by qcconnection »

Hey guys,

I found what seems to be the information regarding stocking lakes in Ontario. http://www.web2.mnr.gov.on.ca/fish_onli ... er_en.html

I was just wondering how accurate the information actually is on this website?

I don`t care about hot spots or where everyone is going, as I`d like to do my own exploring to find my own honey hole. But just how dead on is this info from experience?
drake691
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Stocking list. How accurate is it?

Post by drake691 »

I find them to be pretty accurate
RyanW
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by RyanW »

Last edited by RyanW on Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
613 Ice Fishing
On Facebook
jsdx
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by jsdx »

The stocking lists are pretty accurate based on the lakes we've tried. About 1/10, the first species we catch is a surprise. Usually a bass on a no-bass lake.

Some of the stocked trout lakes list a whole bunch of additional species and like Choke says, we never see any of those. A few remote lakes that we checked claimed they only have largemouth but then we only catch smallmouth.

Some of the lakes that say they only have perch turned out to be fantastic perch fisheries.
Any stocked lake that also lists bass, you'll catch bass only.
Lastly, any lake that claims "rainbow trout" without stocking is totally mistaken :)
loophole
Participant
Participant

Post by loophole »

It does appear to be largely accurate. I searched on brook trout in my zone and the tool offered Murray Lake as one of the places to go. Except that Murray Lake was purchased by Omya Canada several years ago. The MNR hasn't stocked Murray Lake in 10 years from what I'm told.
ganman
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by ganman »

That site is BS. Another half butt effort by the MNR.
tr21chris
Participant
Participant

Post by tr21chris »

A lot of false info on that website...half-assed...I agree.
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Neat idea but lots of flawed info from the past made its way in. Fire them a note on anything you know to be incorrect and I'm sure it will be adjusted. I know of a few cases where that has happened.

RJ
Fishoholic
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Fishoholic »

The information may not be 100% accurate but it definately helps with a startin point. The stocking info is pretty accurate it's just the species listed in lake are not always correct. They can only do so much with the info and resources they have and with thousands of lakes in the province it is pretty unrealistic to expect them to have 100% accurate info on species in every lake. Things change over time so info they have from 10, 20, 30 years ago may be off.
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

The Ottawa River gets stocked with Wooly Fish and Rubber Fish all the time!

I caught a 12" rubber fish a few years back around Petrie! My PB to date!
Dcaster
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Dcaster »

Hey QC if you want the official stocking lists just e-mail Darwin Rosien (stocking coordinator) at the mnr and ask to be put on the stocking list, and he will send you the "official stocking lists for most of eastern ontario" every year right at the end of the year in an e-mail.
I find them to be very well put together and they all show the past 4-5 years of stocking history.

I just received the newest list this week........and i believe it to be very accurate.

Pm me if you want his official e-mail or the lists.
Cheers
Troutskiii
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Troutskiii »

RJ wrote:Neat idea but lots of flawed info from the past made its way in. Fire them a note on anything you know to be incorrect and I'm sure it will be adjusted. I know of a few cases where that has happened.

RJ
Ding ding ding
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

The website does have it's faults, but the stocking part of it is good. Not the species part in some of the lakes, that's for sure. Overall it's a decent online resource for the average guy wanting to go try fish somewhere. We had to buy top maps on Booth St. and go to mnr offices or get them mailed from individual areas for the stocking lists.

Anyone who wants to get on the email list just contact darwin.rosien@ontario.ca

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
qcconnection
Participant
Participant

Post by qcconnection »

Thanks for all the info guys. Can`t wait to give some of those lakes a go.

Cheers and Merry Christmas!!! Or, Happy Holidays. Whichever floats your boat, or punches your holes...
abrigger
Participant
Participant

Post by abrigger »

I agree with most of the comments posted. As noted by Darwin Rosien, they can only go by the info recieved for the most part. Do your fellow fishing enthusiasts a favour and fill out the form at the end of the stocking lists. It will provide them more info and make the fish online site more accurate. I fill mine out even for lakes in Quebec as it makes my fishing log easier.