Minnow Trapping near Ottawa

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
fisherman_Ken
Participant
Participant

Minnow Trapping near Ottawa

Post by fisherman_Ken »

Hey Folks,

Ive been trying to catch some minnows around ottawa the last couple weeks with no success. :( I use a store bought galvanized trap with the two holes on either end. I chucked it in rideau river near downtown a couple times each for a day and also hit up the mouth of a creek where it flows into the ottawa river near orleans last week with no success. I use bread balled up and some dog food for bait. Not sure what im doing wrong as all i have caught so far is 1 tiny rock bass :( which i threw back and have not even seen a minnow. I am good at catching minnows in summer but have never tried this time of year. Any help on locations near ottawa to trap minnows would really be appreciated. :P :P :P

Thanks,
Ken
RyanW
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by RyanW »

Last edited by RyanW on Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
613 Ice Fishing
On Facebook
fisherman_Ken
Participant
Participant

Re: Minnow Trapping near Ottawa

Post by fisherman_Ken »

Hey Choke,

Thanks for the advice. I will give it a try.

ken
arnpriormike
Participant
Participant

Re: Minnow Trapping near Ottawa

Post by arnpriormike »

The closer a creek is to a river that holds bass/pike/walleye, the fewer minnows there will be. Go further upstream where minnows are top of the food chain. In winter, I would cut a large hole in the ice with an axe and drop the minnow trap in the creek. Cover the hole with branches and snow to insulate the hole. Come back the next day and you have minnows!! Culverts are the best!