shirley's bay

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
CCLad
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: shirley's bay

Post by CCLad »

The 7 inches was based on Canams previous report. I'll post for sure when I get out there. Next week is supposed to drop all week, next weekend will be a go for sure.
CCLad
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by CCLad »

Givin the balmy weather I wont be venturing out this weekend. Next week they are calling for -15 -18 every night next week. this melt and then a good cold snap I bet we will be fishing a week sat.
tbone1088
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by tbone1088 »

anyone been out since x-mas??? Wondering if we have to start all over again since its been so warm lately...
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scarkner »

I just went to Shirleys to checkout the ice.

WE ARE GOOD TO GO!

The ice clearly broke up into huge chunks, but they have re-formed into a very solid ice surface with ZERO slush and a pretty flat surface (not skating flat, but certainly easy walking). The large chunks are white, but the gaps between them are clear dark ice. Thickness was consistent 6-7 inches of ice out several hundred feet from shore. Bay is still frozen out as far as the eye can see.

I wouldn't drive on it, but will be going out on foot to do some fishing tonight or tomorrow for sure!

Be safe and be cautious. I only drilled perhaps 10 holes and didn't go out as far as the shacks are normally placed.
CyrusG
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by CyrusG »

scarkner wrote:I just went to Shirleys to checkout the ice.

WE ARE GOOD TO GO!

The ice clearly broke up into huge chunks, but they have re-formed into a very solid ice surface with ZERO slush and a pretty flat surface (not skating flat, but certainly easy walking). The large chunks are white, but the gaps between them are clear dark ice. Thickness was consistent 6-7 inches of ice out several hundred feet from shore. Bay is still frozen out as far as the eye can see.

I wouldn't drive on it, but will be going out on foot to do some fishing tonight or tomorrow for sure!

Be safe and be cautious. I only drilled perhaps 10 holes and didn't go out as far as the shacks are normally placed.
Thanks a bunch for the report! I'll check it out in the next week and let you guys know if the fish are biting :D
Cy
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scarkner »

Lots of people out fishing today, mixed results (I managed couple perch and one medium walleye).

Ice is now stable and thick out to the usual ice-hut locations. Still not thick enough for vehicles.

HEY - Bring your skates! Out about 600 feet from shore the ice is extremely smooth (it's actually hard to walk on it is so smooth and slick). Several people were out ice-skating for miles along the river tonight.
RyanW
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by RyanW »

-///
Last edited by RyanW on Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
613 Ice Fishing
On Facebook
CyrusG
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by CyrusG »

I'll be out there this evening looking for some eyes and sauger, if i do good i'll have a report soon enough. Remember to get your licenses if you haven't already, i almost forgot but i'm good to go now :lol:
Cy
RyanW
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by RyanW »

--
Last edited by RyanW on Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
613 Ice Fishing
On Facebook
CyrusG
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by CyrusG »

Right on! You did better than me bud :D I also fished north east of the launch from 4:30-6:00 in 12 feet of water using buckshots tipped with minnows, didn't get any big ones but i got my first eyes of the season.

Cy
RyanW
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by RyanW »

-//-
Last edited by RyanW on Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
613 Ice Fishing
On Facebook
SteveO
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by SteveO »

Thanks for the reports guys. I drove by on my way to work at 8:30 and there were a couple guys fishing from an Eskimo pop up. Glad to see you got some decent action.

Tight lines,
Steve
Yakster
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Yakster »

The twilight bite was good....hit the ice at 3pm off at 5:30. 2x16" and a 13& 14" all fish caught over the span of 30 min in 7. 5 f.o.w.
good ice, Erie as hell looking though and lots of rumbling and cracking going on.
canam04
Participant
Participant

Post by canam04 »

Put my shack out tonight. So for those looking for a reference, where the black shack is there is 10 inches of ice.
CCLad
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by CCLad »

Thanks for the info and reverence Canam, we are putting our hut out today. Much appreciated and we will talk to you on the ice.
Tim.