This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
RyanW
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by RyanW »

Last edited by RyanW on Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
613 Ice Fishing
On Facebook
tbone1088
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: What line do you use ice fishing?

Post by tbone1088 »

Good question I would like input on this as well. I have heard there is a braid out that has something sprayed on it so that it resists freezing in the winter, anyone know the name of this line? Also I was wondering about the average pound test you guys are using. Currently using 6 to 10 pound test fireline, 8 pound fluoro leader but i'm thinking of going down to 4 and 6 pound leader, what you guys think? Fish mostly at shirleys bay in 10-15 feet of stained water.
fishin mission
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by fishin mission »

I don't know of any line that doesn't freeze i have tried them all and they all still freeze so if anyone tells you there a line out there that doesn't freeze there full of you know what ...... the line would have to be antifreeze coated like the stuff you put in your car :D :D :D I use braid 20lb if im in the shack and 10 lb mono if im fishing outside the shack you can add a leader either mono or fluro I like heavy line as i have caught some good fish through the ice and don't want to lose them at the hole thus the heavy line. BRING ON THE ICE
Christian Gervais
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Christian Gervais »

10lbs for perch and walleye looks like way over kill for ice fishing. I brought a 4lbs bass on a 4lbs fluo. I love the light lines during winter. I only jig from hole to hole.
CyrusG
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by CyrusG »

For pannies i won't go heavier than 4 pound line, for eyes I use anywhere from 4-10 pound. If your targeting big eyes i wouldn't use 4 though :lol:
Cy
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

3 lb mono for Panfish.

15 lb Power Pro Ice with fluro lead for Eyes and Lakers.

RJ
Christian Gervais
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Christian Gervais »

I only fish small species during winter though.......thinking about it.....during summer too... :lol:
reboot
Participant
Participant

Post by reboot »

I've got 4lb mono on my ultralight and 20lb braid with 15lb fluoro leader on my tip-up... Also have 10lb braid with 8lb fluoro leader on a medium rod for when I feel like double fisting rods :P
RyanW
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by RyanW »

Last edited by RyanW on Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
613 Ice Fishing
On Facebook
tbone1088
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by tbone1088 »

the line I was talking about is sufix ice braid, anyone use this and if so is it any good?
Fishoholic
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Fishoholic »

All I've ever used is straight mono and never had any issues. 8 pound and maybe 6 pound when brookie fishing. All about the drag and not rushing and panicking when fish is close to hole. I'm a routine kinda guy and just stick with what's worked. May try some braid to avoid that line stretch on the bigger fish but who knows I find it freezes up a lot more which is kind of annoying.
Moosebunk
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Moosebunk »

8-10lb PowerPro on everything but really big lakers not really found in these parts. Unless you're jigging cannon balls. :lol: