WEST END OF LAKE NIPISSING

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
almontefisher
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

WEST END OF LAKE NIPISSING

Post by almontefisher »

Hey all: I am up on Nipissing this weekend from Friday to Sunday and need someone who is a lawyer or understands wordings in the MNR reg book for this lake..lol. Now I just found out that walleye are closed as of yesterday so I will not be targetting those anymore. I am now setting my sites on the bass, pike and most of all the musky.

Can someone tell me if I can fish for musky in the West end of the lake.

http://files.ontario.ca/environment-and ... 001331.pdf

Here is the PDF of ZONE 11....if someone can figure it out I will be very happy!! omg MnR and their wordings..lol :oops:

On a side note has anyone fished musky in Nipissing and what would you suggest I use and try??

Cheers
Peter
Fishing isn't a matter of life and death....
It's much more important.

ORWL
BigC
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: WEST END OF LAKE NIPISSING

Post by BigC »

90% sure you're good to go....I read that and my head hurts.
Probably best to ask a local.

I also know of a 56 1/2 was caught on lake Nipissing last week by a bass fisherman, so just use that stuff :P :P

You have a boat or you from shore again?
almontefisher
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by almontefisher »

BigC wrote:90% sure you're good to go....I read that and my head hurts.
Probably best to ask a local.

I also know of a 56 1/2 was caught on lake Nipissing last week by a bass fisherman, so just use that stuff :P :P

You have a boat or you from shore again?

I have a boat C and will be stocking up on some new musky lures ( cause you know the old ones just wont do ) so I should be set up good for it. As for musky..well if I can beat my all time PB of...wait for it.......24" then I will be a happy boy!!

ORWL
BigC
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by BigC »

Did some googling some guy named Saric has some things to say about Nipissing.

"Since you are fishing for big muskies large lures rule on Lake Nipissing. I use large bucktails with double-10 blades, 10 inch jerkbaits, pounder Bulldawgs, and big topwater. You need to present a big meal and get the lure noticed. More than likely if a musky is using a structural element it may be feeding so give it a big offering!"

Now if you saw my fish from Monday you might want to focus on trolling river mouths with those large baits, say something 13" or bigger...just saying. :wink: :wink:
BigC
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by BigC »

Not me pictured.

55 x 26... 50 lb Lake Nippising Slob, 12 feet of water, short line troll, 40 feet out

Hope you had some luck yourself.
Last edited by BigC on Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
almontefisher
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by almontefisher »

BigC wrote:55 x 26... 50 lb Lake Nippising Slob, 12 feet of water, short line troll, 40 feet out

Hope you had some luck yourself.

Holy crap C nice fish. We tried for musky for about 3 hours and I had one solid hit that peeled line for a whole 10 seconds. Probably just hooked up with bottom but in my head it was the one you are holding. Lol. Successful trip is not the word I would use. We caught a bunch of little snot rockets and I connected with a 37" pike but did not get a picture of it as it was pouring rain and didn't want to get my phone wet. Overall it was a real fun weekend with a bunch of good guys but fishing was slow for us.

ORWL
BigC
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by BigC »

Sorry Peter, not me in the pic (I wish) I saw it was posted on facebook by a guide up there and thought it might be you...
bottom feeder
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by bottom feeder »

Hi, I stayed at starlite marina two weeks ago. Muskie come up the sturgeon river to feed in September and right now the walleye have come in. I watched one guy bring up and release app. Forty a day. Two were ten and eleven pounds all were releases except two keepers per day.
almontefisher
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by almontefisher »

You need to be carefull on that lake as walleye closed Oct 15th. Not many people are catching this as it is in the exception pages. I have heard many a people keeping walleye lately on that lake even a guide was keeping them but it is closed.

Cheers

ORWL
bottom feeder
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by bottom feeder »

Good thing I was there for family obligations, not fishing. What page number in exceptions?
I saw many boats heading out to the lake. They weren't the hunters, who were on the water before dawn. I would not be surprised to hear about a lot of poaching. This is after all the lake in which thirteen illegal nets ere found drifting.
bottom feeder
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by bottom feeder »

I found the regs. Hmm, looks like some skullduggery going on in the near north.