Lake Trout fishing, need advice

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Still Chasing
Participant
Participant

Lake Trout fishing, need advice

Post by Still Chasing »

I have never fished lake trout before. From what I understand they can be found shallow in the spring and in the fall. If so what depth are we talking about, I was hoping to cast for them this time of year. Can I use spin casting equipment? Any other information would be greatly appreciated
banjo
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: Lake Trout fishing, need advice

Post by banjo »

First off (and this usually goes without sayin...but) check the regulations as Lake Trout spawn in the fall and alot, if not most areas they close the season at the end of September. There are some year round opportunities out there.
I haven't fished for them in the fall, but in the spring you need to find where the water (nearer the shorelines) is just warmer than that below. Anything from right at shore to 30 foot depths. They like rocky shorelines and points. A transition from sand to gravelly to rocky boulders would be ideal. Any type of spoon (mepps syclops) works, but I find if you are casting to go with a hard body bait (rattlin' rap type). I would think they would still be a bit deeper than a spin cast outfit will allow you to cast from shore... but it all depends on where you can access them. If you plan on one for supper... a slip bobber and minnow down about 15 feet might just get you one. Good Luck.
flewdogg
Participant
Participant

Post by flewdogg »

Banjo's points are good, especially about their depth and checking the regs. Some year round lake trout lakes are out there though, particularly in North Frontenac, so check the zone regs under "Additional Opportunities" or something like that.

I fish for lakers in the spring and summer, never tried fall, but I will assume fall behaviour is similar to spring, i.e., they come out of the depths as the shallower water temp becomes more to their liking (they like 48-52 degrees F). In spring I troll in the 20-30 foot range using either a three-way rig (15 lb braid main line, 1-2 oz weight on mono dropper line, and some kind of shallow-running crankbait on a flouro lure line) or by using a dipsy diver with a lake troll like this (http://www.luckystrikebaitworks.com/pro ... Path=17_93) and some sort of minnow (real or plastic) on the hook.

If you have a fish finder you should troll around using one of the above setups but when you find some you should consider switching to a jigging approach. I took some great advice from guys on this board earlier this summer and did some jigging for lakers and it paid off big time. Use a heavier jig, like 3/4 oz to 1 oz, preferably white. Slip a white plastic paddletail minnow on the jig or a real minnow if you have one. Put the jig in front of their faces and hold on.

Good luck!
Dcaster
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Dcaster »

Couple years ago i was fishing late fall, cranking for bass and had two different lakers follow my crank right to boat and turn at the last second.....i wasn't in more then 15ft of water....near rocks.......late October early November..........very cool!

Great thread......I'll take all the laker advice i can find...thanks

:handgestures-thumbup:
SalvelinusFontinalis
Participant
Participant

Post by SalvelinusFontinalis »

Jigging works all year long. I find that large white curly tailed jigs, work well. It even works in the summer when it's slow. Everyone who has commented has given good advice. Make sure to check the regulations because trout spawn in the fall and close for a while. There are some year round lakes, which can be found in the reg-book. I've never fished any of the year round places, but they may be worth a try. Spring is probably the best time to catch Lakers or stocked Brookies, Rainbows, Splake etc right as the ice comes off they can be found close to shore in pretty much any depth of water.

Good luck!