Stay away from Hardwood Lake?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
arnpriormike
Participant
Participant

Stay away from Hardwood Lake?

Post by arnpriormike »

I know this isn't fishing related, but...fishermen travel lots and tell stories! We know all the back roads and secret fishing holes!
Well, here's one for you guys to figure out for me:
Since I was a teenager, people have been telling me the same thing every time I mention fishing the area of Hardwood Lake. They say, in general, "stay away from that place."
People that don't even know each other, from different towns. It happened again last weekend and it's bugging me!
Does anyone else know why, or heard the same thing?

Just wondering.....
campnfish
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Stay away from Hardwood Lake?

Post by campnfish »

Thar be dragons in them hills....

There's a little kids camp on the lake, how bad can the place be?

Now I have to go and check the area out.
Dcaster
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Dcaster »

So basically here's what is happening.....IMO

You are talking to trout fishermen.

I'm betting your curiosity would pay off huge when visiting........

hardwood lake is spring fed trout lake neighboring crown land by Algonquin park...well at least that's what i could find out in one search.
jsdx
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by jsdx »

Which one ? There are three Hardwood Lakes in the area, one in Algonquin Park and two outside of it. Not sure which one you should stay away from.

So, either a trout fisherman is protecting their excellent spot like Dcaster's theory (my bet too) or some guy long ago said "you gotta try Hardwood Lake, it's great" and everyone has been fishing the wrong lake and had no luck so they're telling you not to waste your time.

A few years ago we fished a "Lake X" and the map had the "X" on the wrong lake. We pounded the lake, got nothing but sunburns. It was labelled wrong on map, and the GPS. We decided to try the "next lake over" and we bushwhacked to it and voila brookies. Told my story to a guy and he said "yeah, lake X is wrong on the map, fishing is great because no one can find the lake".

Only way to know is to go yourself 8)
jsdx
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by jsdx »

Which one ? There are three Hardwood Lakes in the area, one in Algonquin Park and two outside of it. Not sure which one you should stay away from.

So, either a trout fisherman is protecting their excellent spot like Dcaster's theory (my bet too) or some guy long ago said "you gotta try Hardwood Lake, it's great" and everyone has been fishing the wrong lake and had no luck so they're telling you not to waste your time.

A few years ago we fished a "Lake X" and the map had the "X" on the wrong lake. We pounded the lake, got nothing but sunburns. It was labelled wrong on map, and the GPS. We decided to try the "next lake over" and we bushwhacked to it and voila brookies. Told my story to a guy and he said "yeah, lake X is wrong on the map, fishing is great because no one can find the lake".

Dcaster
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Dcaster »

jsdx wrote:Which one ? There are three Hardwood Lakes in the area, one in Algonquin Park and two outside of it. Not sure which one you should stay away from.

or some guy long ago said "you gotta try Hardwood Lake, it's great" and everyone has been fishing the wrong lake and had no luck so they're telling you not to waste your time.

Yes, yes, I didn't think of this, that is a huge possibility especially if there are three in the same area.....wow.

I say hit all three starting with the hardest one to get too....lol.
SalvelinusFontinalis
Participant
Participant

Post by SalvelinusFontinalis »

There are probably dozens of hardwood lakes in Ontario. Which region are you talking about?
Tip-up
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Tip-up »

I've done a ton of fishing the area of Hardwood Lake South of Palmer Rapids and also the lake itself one time. Never heard such a thing and have chatted with many locals while out fishing, all who are very friendly.

There are no trout around there, don't waste your time and ''Stay away from Hardwood Lake!'' :roll: :shock: :lol: :lol:
MLR
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by MLR »

Aledgedly back in the 50's a guy went to Hardwood Lake to hook up with one of the local women. The local lads took offence to this outsider, tied a rope around him and dragged down the road and out of town. When the OPP showed up, nobody knew anything and remained an unsolved mystery due to the people of Hardwood Lake looking after their own. After that people were scared to go to or stop in Hardwood lake.