Mapping lakes not covered by charts

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
bcjohnso99
Participant
Participant

Mapping lakes not covered by charts

Post by bcjohnso99 »

I am considering a project for this winter to generate maps for GPS combo units (like Lowrance HDS, Hummingbird Combos, etc) for some lakes/rivers within a couple hours of Ottawa (ones I might actually go to ;)

Since I don't have any sonar logs (currently I have a Humminbird and a Lowrance but neither can offload sonar logs), I thought I'd try to crowd-source them ;)

This is what I am thinking:
- take sonar log donations from anyone who has some to share
- if in total, I get the majority of a lake or river section, I would try to generate maps for that area
- anyone who contributes a non-trivial amount of data would get a copy of the body of water they contributed to (I don't think I would give all maps to everyone as that might stop some people from sharing data for their favourite lake)
- no money would ever change hands - I am not starting a business, maps would not be forsale
- obviously I get all maps but I think that's a fair exchange for the effort and costs involved

The tool I am considering is: http://www.reefmaster.com.au/index.php/ ... reefmaster

There are obvious logistical issues to be considered but nothing that can't be overcome in this digital age.

For now, I'd like to hear what people think of this idea, and equally important, do people actually have sonar logs to share?

Brian