How many lures do you lose? Honestly...

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Spence Scout
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: How many lures do you lose? Honestly...

Post by Spence Scout »

Honestly I think the most hard baits including frogs Ive ever lost in an entire season was maybe 10 baits. When I get hooked up with baits I go over and get them. You can use different things to get them unhooked. If you get a bait snagged within reach in the water colom take your paddle or oar and push it down to the bait to un lodge it. Also if you get a floating bait snagged just stop pulling go over to it and get behind it most times it will float up or come off.

Truth of the matter is if your hooking trees, you need to practice your accuracy.

The biggest expense for me is soft plastics and terminal tackle such as jigs, tube heads, dropshot weights etc. Those are meant to be recycled.
Super
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Super »

If you are losing crankbaits or stickbaits on the bottom, you need to buy a lure retriever or make one.
I went on a fishing trip to L'Verendrye Parc and on the first day lost 5 rapalas. I was thinking that I could not afford to fish, until I went back to the campsite and someone showed me a lure retriever.
After you are stuck on bottom, you just go straight over your lure, attach the lure retriever to your fishing line (the retriever has a very string line attached to it) and send the retriever down. The idea is that it hooks on your leader or the hooks and then you pull and the hook that is stuck might straighten out a bit, but it will come up.
Used to be sold at Canadian Tire but I am sure they still sold at any fishing store in Quebec.
It does not help at all for lures that are bit off by pike.
David
rex.stpierre
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by rex.stpierre »

scuro wrote:Not enough! Incoming lures exceed outgoing lures.
I agree.... I found more lures this year then I lost. I buy lures like it's a sickness and I make my own lures..

I lost a crank bait to a pike boat side but I was trolling for walleye with a fluro leader.

I've lost another crankbait to a snag trolling... I've lost a giant cheap jerkbait to the rocks..

I've lost a few hooks to good fish in the winter...

Honestly, I've been using musky lures all summer and If I get snagged, I go swimming... I fish with lures I love and some are just not replaceable... I like fishing the top of the water column too....

I fish 3-7 times a week.
This year I spent most of my money on beer, women and fishing...the rest I wasted.
CyrusG
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by CyrusG »

I loose tons of jigs, dropshots, and divers every year but most spinner baits don't seem to get snagged easily i haven't lost one this year and I've caught a bunch of pike casting around in the shallows. When going for walleye and smallies i find the best spots are full of snags, some days i can go through half a dozen jigs in a few hours if im unlucky but i fish near current most of the time.
Cy
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

cprince wrote:
lape0019 wrote:... That does not include the plastics I go through. Those to me are expendable and need to be thrown out after a few fish.
Adam

This is how I look when I loose 3 Yamamoto Senkos in a row to a rock bass!

PLEASE don't go on about elastics.. cant stand using them... like condoms. Rather rawdog my Senkos.

Craig
No rubber = babies

I know....

Also...I find every season I lose a few. Nightime gar I am always losing hooks or re-tying rigs.