Reply from a request for a prize

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
almontefisher
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Reply from a request for a prize

Post by almontefisher »

So I went ahead and emailed a few companies asking if they would be able to supply something very small like a hat or shirt or something for the BOVT and I am really sad to read the responses I am getting from these large companies. Now don't get me wrong I do understand that they must get 50 of these requests a day but in some situations they need to concider what the request is for. This is to help promote a hobby that they make money in and also to promote this to the younger generation so they too will continue fishing and buying these guys products. Here is a standard company line I received from one of my requests. I have removed the name of the organization as I do not feel it is right to show that but the general letter is dissapointing and funny to read.

Peter,

"Company name here" resources that might go to sponsorships have been allocated for another purpose; we donate dollars and goods to non-profit environmental and youth organizations. These groups work in protecting the environment and educating the youth in an effort to keep our industry thriving. By donating to these groups, we are helping to promote fishing and protecting the environment for everyone.

On rare occasions, we help people who are breaking new grounds in the fishing industry. For your request to receive serious attention, we need a sponsorship packet with supporting documentation including:
• Your complete plan
• Timelines
• Youth and environmental contributions
• Previous accomplishments
• Percentage of projected return on investment to justify sponsorship costs
• Anything else you may think is pertinent

We will be happy to review anything you can send us to help us make our decision. Send these inquiries to:

"Company name here"
Attn: Marketing/Fishing Tackle Division

Please allow six to eight weeks for a response. - (this was an awesome end to it!!)

So there you have it. A nice company line response to a very good event that promotes the growth of our sport/hobby. Also this is a major brand name in the industry that probably brings in 10's of millions of dollars from us and most of us use on a daily basis and some of us are even sponsored by them. So every pro that they sponsor I am guessing is meeting these requirements of this company??

"we donate dollars and goods to non-profit environmental and youth organizations. These groups work in protecting the environment and educating the youth in an effort to keep our industry thriving. By donating to these groups, we are helping to promote fishing and protecting the environment for everyone."

So what is the actual cost of a hat, shirt or something else from them to support an event that is building future clients....rant over!!
Last edited by almontefisher on Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fishing isn't a matter of life and death....
It's much more important.

ORWL
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: Reply from a request for a prize

Post by TheMaverick »

Might want to remove that address...lo0ol ;)
If fishin ain't your mission, then you can kiss my Bass!
almontefisher
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by almontefisher »

TheMaverick wrote:Might want to remove that address...lo0ol ;)

Thanks Mav. I appreciate the heads up on that...lol. It is now deleted!! I still think it is a good company and all so don't get me wrong. Most of my gear is from them but I tried getting prizes for our local Lions Club car show this year and all the big companies gave me the same line BS...they all need to add into their marketing a local budget for things like this. It is sad that we give them millions of dollars a year and they don't see that as incentive to supply a $10 item for an event that is good for the local communities!!

Take my company for example. We would rather support a small community need than a big corporation looking for donations. But again we are a large small town organization that has always supported the small people.

ORWL
SeaMonster
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by SeaMonster »

The amount of dudes and their girlfriends who barely fish who get sponsored is actually shocking to me.
As long as you fill in the blanks for their requests, put together a nice marketing plan and the numbers make sense, usually they give a discount and some swag. All about exposure.
Before I discovered fishing forums (and Al Gore invented the internet), I had no idea about any of this.
In the end it's a business.
jona38
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by jona38 »

Did you try the Canadian division? I've found in the past that the big companies in the US don't really care to much about their Canadian customers. A few years back I bought 6 new reels for the upcoming season and at the time this company was giving away a free hoodie with the purchase of these reels. Sure enough the fine print stated that it was for US customers only. I though I'd give them a call to see if they could spare one for a Canadian fellow.... not a chance, they wouldn't even give me the time of day. I sold the reels and never looked back. Jon
almontefisher
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by almontefisher »

SeaMonster wrote:The amount of dudes and their girlfriends who barely fish who get sponsored is actually shocking to me.
As long as you fill in the blanks for their requests, put together a nice marketing plan and the numbers make sense, usually they give a discount and some swag. All about exposure.
Before I discovered fishing forums (and Al Gore invented the internet), I had no idea about any of this.
In the end it's a business.

I agree Sea that it is a business in the end but you shoudnt forget about the people who got you to where you are..the consumer. I am sure the sponsorship's given out do not bring in more revenue than the consumers would bring in.

ORWL
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

If it is the company I think it is, I find this funny because they are or at the very least were a board sponsor...

Adam
almontefisher
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by almontefisher »

lape0019 wrote:If it is the company I think it is, I find this funny because they are or at the very least were a board sponsor...

Adam

Still are a board sponsor Adam!!

ORWL
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

I have no idea who the company is but could maybe shed some light for you Pete.

I can assure you these companies get dozens of requests a week from events just like this one, sure it seems petty to throw a hat or shirt away but if they did that for EVERY request they get they'd be toast. Most companies have budgets that are spoken for on events that are planned the year before and simply can't over extend to every email request they receive, it's simple business that you can't just continue to give stuff away to whoever asks for it.

Now here's where ProStaff comes in. "Pro" stands for promotional staff, not professional. At least that's what it means at my house and business. Most of us who have taken on that role for the companies like the one you are ripping on have some type of product that we could provide to your event. You asked me for some help with prizes for the tourney which I obliged on behalf of the companies I work with. Most if not all of them will be represented in the package I give you to give away to tourney participants.

Hope that helps you understand it a bit better why you may have receive the response you did...

RJ
almontefisher
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by almontefisher »

RJ wrote:I have no idea who the company is but could maybe shed some light for you Pete.

I can assure you these companies get dozens of requests a week from events just like this one, sure it seems petty to throw a hat or shirt away but if they did that for EVERY request they get they'd be toast. Most companies have budgets that are spoken for on events that are planned the year before and simply can't over extend to every email request they receive, it's simple business that you can't just continue to give stuff away to whoever asks for it.

Now here's where ProStaff comes in. "Pro" stands for promotional staff, not professional. At least that's what it means at my house and business. Most of us who have taken on that role for the companies like the one you are ripping on have some type of product that we could provide to your event. You asked me for some help with prizes for the tourney which I obliged on behalf of the companies I work with. Most if not all of them will be represented in the package I give you to give away to tourney participants.

Hope that helps you understand it a bit better why you may have receive the response you did...

RJ

Clarifies it perfectly actually RJ. Thanks as usual for some great insider info. So almost like double dipping too I guess. Lol.

ORWL