Q: bass size limitation in Arnprior?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
someone
Participant
Participant

Q: bass size limitation in Arnprior?

Post by someone »

Hi there,

I went to Arnprior last weekend, fishing near Ottawa river.

Does anybody know if there is size limitation for bass? I asked several people over there, most of them didn't know, one of them said yes, but not the exactly size.

I know in Clayton Lake we cannot keep bass less than 12 ", is it the same in Arnprior?

Thanks!

Mike
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

I blasted an old fart on the Port Dover Pier last weekend. He had 3 dead LM bass beside him that where 3-4 inches long. I asked him what he planned on doing with them and he just stared at me. I told him to just eat the minnows in his bait bucket and to leave the baby bass alone. just a blank stare is all i got out of him.
nighttroller
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by nighttroller »

A 12 inch minimum for Bass everwhere in Ontario. You are allowed 6 in one day, 2 if you have a conservation license.

Markus, I concur. It burns my butt when I see people bringing in stringers of tiny Bass!
toobinator
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by toobinator »

In my humble opinion only, I would rather see a stringer of tiny bass than a stringer of 4 lbers. If I had to see a stringer of bass at all that is.

Ed Toobinator Puddephatt
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

nighttroller wrote:A 12 inch minimum for Bass everwhere in Ontario. You are allowed 6 in one day, 2 if you have a conservation license.

Markus, I concur. It burns my butt when I see people bringing in stringers of tiny Bass!
Where in the regs is this 12IN size restriction listed?? I can't find it.

I know dizision 10 in SE ON has a 11.8" size limit, but I don't see a size limit anywhere else.
spinner
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by spinner »

Markus wrote:
nighttroller wrote:A 12 inch minimum for Bass everwhere in Ontario. You are allowed 6 in one day, 2 if you have a conservation license.

Where in the regs is this 12IN size restriction listed?? I can't find it.

I know dizision 10 in SE ON has a 11.8" size limit, but I don't see a size limit anywhere else.
Markus. I agree that only division 10 in se ont has a 11.8" size limit except that there are size limits all over the nw region as well but they are different.
Not to say that there could not be a special exception for some individual bodies of water as I haven't looked.
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Todd B. »

Division 10 (in the SouthEastern Ontario region) is the only division with a general size limit for bass.

While I get upset see people take home every little, I'd have to agree with the previous posting that it's better than seeing a stringer of 4lbers being taken from the gene pool. If anything they should put in some slot limits to protect the big females.
"There wouldn't have been any butt kickings if that stupid death ray had worked."
nighttroller
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by nighttroller »

I just checked and you are right there is no minimu size limit. I always thought it was 12", I guess that is just a tournament rule! As far as a stringer of tiny Bass I am talking 6 - 10" and in my opinion that should be illegal. It doesn't give them a chance to grow up and spawn. as far as the stringer of big Bass, I agree we are losing the best spawners there.
someone
Participant
Participant

Post by someone »

Thanks!

Actually it's pity that caught a big bass, for it has been living well for several years in the lake until...
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

Don't fold to the pressure of tournament anglers.

If you feel like releasing them, let em go.

If you feel like keeping them, eat em up.

Never keep over your limit and and be aware of possesion limits. Enjoy your catch how you you perfer too.
Cancatchbass
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Agree with the Toobinator...

Post by Cancatchbass »

I agree with Ed on this one.

As for the "Don't fold to the pressure of tournament anglers" comment, I don't see where that is coming from. :shock:

As I have stated before- taking the larger specimens of any species of fish (with the exception of some put-and-take species such as are found in the great lakes) may well result in poorer quality fishing for future generations of anglers.

We've been through all this before. Some anglers are meat fishermen and, yes, keeping their limit of fish is within their rights. But keeping a limit of the larger specimens of many fish species is just plain irresponsible.

CCB
big-o
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by big-o »

Hey Spinner.....good to hear from you again....the link master returns :D :D :D :D :D
Xenos
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Xenos »

I have to agree with Ed as well, When I fish walleye I keep the small ones and let all the big ones go. It just makes sense to me that the big one will make many more new ones than the small one. Who knows maybe I’m wrong.
Jigs
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

bass size

Post by Jigs »

CCB:

Most tournament anglers would have you release EVERYTHING. I believe thats where thats coming from.

I have no problem with that philosophy, I just like to eat a FEW.

Sorry, should have said.........Most tournament anglers I have met.........gotta be real careful not to offend anyone.

Area 10 has a ll.8" size on bass. " Most" everywhere else is wide open. The cats out of the bag now.

Sorry, should have said..........Some but not all tournament anglers I have met.........or probably a few TA's...........gosh I can see the huge backhoe full of shxt getting ready to dump on me.

It probably would be good if not everyone knew that they can keep under 12" but I guess its too late now :roll: Hopefully they can't read, so the little bass are safe for a while?? :evil:

Oh my, did I just offend the illiterate???? :oops: Dang, better quit.

Jigs.