trout stocking

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
rustyhook
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

trout stocking

Post by rustyhook »

Well I've mentioned a plan that I've been thinking of to a few people and they think it could be a great idea. looking at stocking lists from the last 5 or 6 years and you can see that the stocking of many lakes has been decreased by half. They only stock many once every other year and they have cut back on the numbers in many others. The fishing has certainly decreased and has become much worse. The fact that people now fish those lakes that are stocked that year more and reports from people who do fish a lot of trout lakes and the number of bad days is certainly more than when lakes were stocked every year. my plan is pretty simple and could work to give a better increased fishing experience.

here is that plan

$50 a year membership - all money goes to stocking those lakes that are only stocked every other year. you get the stocking list via the MNR/fish online
$100 a year membership - We will have a list of 7 lakes that will get a significant number of fish. the night before opening those in this level will get the list of 5 lakes.
$200 a year membership - 2 lakes will get the most fish and those in this will get those 2 lakes e-mailed to them as well as the other 5 the night before opening day. Jan 1st.

I know some open before Jan 1 so the date of the e-mail may change depending on the lake.

I would think the MNR would want to work with us on this as it will give increased fishing opportunity and possible more revenue from increase license sales. I think more people will fish as it is a long way to go knowing that there is a much better chance to come home with fish. it isn't cheap anymore with the price of gas, licenses, tackle, transportation etc... The only way to really look at it is that it will increase those fishing who in turn spend money on gas, tackle atv's, snowmobiles, boats etc.... It will also bring in more people from out of province once word gets out how good it will be. Possibly increasing the limits as it is your money going into it and it is put and take.

a couple hundred people would be a lot of money towards this and 10's of thousand additional trout.

would need to pick 4 different people each year to manage things and get the lists of lakes for people to vote on etc..

they have groups that do this for the great lakes salmon and trout why not this area?

any thoughts or suggestions?

there is so much that could be done. Possibly close a lake or 2 for a year to get them started. Make a trophy lake down the road, It could be fun to be part of something that will certainly increase fishing opportunities. Could easily create a website for members to get information, vote on lakes etc.....
Out4trout
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: trout stocking

Post by Out4trout »

I appreciate you putting this together.
However, that would be a multi-tiered system where fishing is best for those with the deepest pockets. I believe in equal opportunity for all, especially when everybody's license $ is used to fund the stocking.

For that reason, I wouldn't support such a program.

There are many ways to increase the quality of our fisheries, without increasing cost, and still providing equal opportunity for all.
Here are a few
(1) Close ice fishing for trout on alternate lakes alternate years, some lakes close the winter season completely
(2) Slot and catch/possession limit reductions
(3) Make specific lakes "trophy" lakes and C&R only

Quebec has a better system and trout fishery than Ontario - look what they are doing and apply it here.

Cheers
rustyhook
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Post by rustyhook »

I'm sorry but I don't agree to your points. These $$ are going to everyone not just those who are putting money in. They just get a bit of an advantage for a few days/week until word gets out. Quebec is certainly not better. ice fishing is a huge part of our country and to not ice fish then what is the point. I'm not sure why ice fishing is deemed "bad". It works very well for the great lakes stocking and would work great for this as well.
Out4trout
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Out4trout »

No apology needed!
I don't see ice fishing as being bad... I've spent more time fishing hardwater than softwater so far in 2014. My point is that current stocking levels in many of the lakes can't support both a winter and summer fishery. There are exceptions of course, but many of the stocked Speckled trout lakes don't see many fish get bigger than 10" which is pathetic. So I think we are in agreement that the existing system isn't working.
rustyhook
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Post by rustyhook »

Yes, I do enjoy ice fishing as well, there is just something about being able to have that opportunity in the winter. The system works they have just cut it back a bit too much. I'm not sure the reasoning for the stocking of lakes every other year. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense and it has allowed some of the other species to take over lakes (sunfish, perch). Those lakes that get stocked that year get all the pressure as well. If they stocked them all every year again they would distribute the fishing across more lakes again.
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Todd B. »

To improve the quality of trout fishing (soft water) the MNR only needs to look at how BC and MB implemented their trophy lakes. In Manitoba a number of lakes have been designated as "trophy" lakes that have enhanced regulations associated with them (i.e. no ice fishing, artificial lures/flies only, catch and release, rotate open seasons).

No one has ever suggested banning ice fishing on all lakes. Unfortunately studies have indicated that trout are more susceptible to ice fishing and mortality rates associated with ice fishing are higher. What they found in MB was that those anglers that were previously catch and keep anglers welcomed the better fishery even though it meant that they had to abide by stricter rules. That being said they could still fish the other lakes that allowed for catch limits.

In the case of ice fishing, there is no reason why a number of lakes can't be specifically designated as ice fishing lakes with a closed soft water season. All it takes is a good management plan and proper (strict) enforcement. The resulting improvements in the fishery will foster buy in by anglers.
"There wouldn't have been any butt kickings if that stupid death ray had worked."
campnfish
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by campnfish »

Ice fishing decimates the trout population on those little lakes.

If you want to see how to properly manage a fishery, look at what they do in upstate NY. Many lakes and rivers are catch and release (and you can only use barbless hooks), there are slot sizes, ice fishing is heavily regulated - and there is ENFORCEMENT of the laws and rules.

I have been stopped 4 times on 3 trips to check my license - twice in one day. I have never been stopped on Ontario. When you fish in NY, the CO presence is noticeable. There are boats, trucks etc all over the place around the Saranac Lake / Lake Placid area. I now expect to get stopped if I'm fishing, and don't mind it one bit.

We can count on one hand the number of CO's for Eastern Ontario. I heard that they only go out on the water with the OPP now - you think they're going to check all the little trout lakes up in Lanark? I could go on about our license fees going into general revenue, cuts to the MNR budget....we all know the common refrain here in Ontario. MNR has become a complaint-driven enforcement system and are fairly ineffective even at that.
rustyhook
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Post by rustyhook »

Putting funds together to help the MNR stock the lakes yearly and also increase those numbers in all the lakes has nothing to do with the number of CO's and enforcement. Increased stocking would not require any increased enforcement and would be relatively easy to do. NY state has a large stocking program and they stock larger trout than we do.
CyrusG
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by CyrusG »

The trout fishing is tough here, but i had a great day with the rainbows while camping in calabogie on monday :lol: :lol: I'll post the report in a day or two. Going to have some fresh red fillets tonight :D
Cy
loophole
Participant
Participant

Post by loophole »

Looks like I missed out on the discussion in August. I have been making the rounds in the past few weeks checking out the creeks the MNR stocks in the Lanark Highlands zone. I can't help but wonder a few things about the results of stocking the creeks. Perhaps someone with more knowledge on the topic can answer a few questions. What happens for instance, to the fish that go into Indian Creek? Do they make their way to the Indian River and then into Clayton Lake? Has anyone ever caught an adult speckled trout in the river or in the lake? Same goes for Craig Creek. Do the fish make their way into the Clyde and get devoured by smallmouth? Has anyone caught a brookie in the river? What about Eastons Creek? Anyone ever fished the creek? It looks like it all goes through private property. Where can I fish the creek without trespassing? Thanks everyone.
fishin mission
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by fishin mission »

i think rusty hook poked himself with too many rusty hooks :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Mike P
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Mike P »

loophole wrote:Looks like I missed out on the discussion in August. I have been making the rounds in the past few weeks checking out the creeks the MNR stocks in the Lanark Highlands zone. I can't help but wonder a few things about the results of stocking the creeks. Perhaps someone with more knowledge on the topic can answer a few questions. What happens for instance, to the fish that go into Indian Creek? Do they make their way to the Indian River and then into Clayton Lake? Has anyone ever caught an adult speckled trout in the river or in the lake? Same goes for Craig Creek. Do the fish make their way into the Clyde and get devoured by smallmouth? Has anyone caught a brookie in the river? What about Eastons Creek? Anyone ever fished the creek? It looks like it all goes through private property. Where can I fish the creek without trespassing? Thanks everyone.

Trout that are stocked into Indian creek and Craig's are stocked closer to the highlands. Brown's in the Clyde are around for two weeks after stocking. After that they disperse though-out the system or are eaten by the pike. If they are lucky enough to make it the fall, winter than kills them off. I have never caught a second season trout from any of them, nor have I ever heard of bigger ones being caught.
loophole
Participant
Participant

Post by loophole »

I caught a decent sized chub in the Clyde last fall near Wolf Grove Rd. Had a bit of luck in one of the stocked lakes this week. Caught 2 brookies. One was probably put in the lake this year but the second fish was somewhat bigger.
Last edited by loophole on Thu Nov 03, 2016 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tbone1088
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by tbone1088 »

[quote]Putting funds together to help the MNR stock the lakes yearly and also increase those numbers in all the lakes has nothing to do with the number of CO's and enforcement. Increased stocking would not require any increased enforcement and would be relatively easy to do. NY state has a large stocking program and they stock larger trout than we do.[/quote]

rusty I don't think your listening to other peoples points!! You use NY state as an example of a large stocking program that works... but they have CO's to make sure nobody is overfishing! You can't just keep stocking the lakes and letting people fish it dry, then expect the mnr to stock it again. The rules that we have in place don't work, and when the rules are broken it's doubtful the person will get caught, this to me is the bigger problem. Also, upstate new york is very dependent on the fishing industry for alot of there tourist revenue, so obviously they will put more funds and man hours into maintaining it.
Streamside88
Participant
Participant

Post by Streamside88 »

I agree with following Upstate ny's stocking and management, from the amount of stocking that is done,the amount of enforcement and the shear amount of public access that is very well posted and advertised..... I've fished my whole life in Ontario and NOT ONCE have i seen a C.O. ...ever.... I've been to new york a dozen times and have seen and been approached by C.O.'s half a dozen times... I can look at a public access map and know exactly where i can and cant fish with regulations easily distinguished for each body of water without issues.... even if I've never been in that particular area .... in Ontario yea i can find a lake but god knows if i can access it without trespassing or seeing a private land sign when i get there.... or finally finding a trout lake i dont have to walk down en atv trail for miles just to get there and have someone tell me that lakes been fished out for the year ..... its pathetic and discouraging....