Ganaraska river in Port Hope

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
fishin mission
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Ganaraska river in Port Hope

Post by fishin mission »

I am headed to Port hope in early September for the Salmon run and have yet to ever catch a Salmon.
Just wondered if anyone can give me some info on what lures to use.Where would be the best place to start fishing. I have heard Cleo's, Williams wobblers, and some Rapala's.
I am a Newbie to this type of fishing so any help would be very appreciated. Thanks in Advance ,,,,,DANO
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Re: Ganaraska river in Port Hope

Post by Jimmy_1 »

You'll need a Doughbeans Salmon tastic XLVAG rod!
LeGrand
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by LeGrand »

Free Centerpin reel with a float.
fishin mission
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by fishin mission »

Jimmy :

I don't use doh bin rods i use a canadian tire special lol
and i like to come in last at a fishing tournament. I end up being first if you turn the page upside down.
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

Go TEAM CT!
ganman
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by ganman »

fishin mission wrote:I am headed to Port hope in early September for the Salmon run and have yet to ever catch a Salmon.
Just wondered if anyone can give me some info on what lures to use.Where would be the best place to start fishing. I have heard Cleo's, Williams wobblers, and some Rapala's.
I am a Newbie to this type of fishing so any help would be very appreciated. Thanks in Advance ,,,,,DANO
Are you fishing from shore or a boat?

Too early for many fish in the river itself.
fishin mission
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by fishin mission »

Ganman:

Fishing from shore but i am thinking about bringing my boat but more than likely shore fishing !
almontefisher
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by almontefisher »

I always used a bag of Roe on a small hook with 4 ft of mono 6lb line attached to 10lb mono. Simple cast and drift rig. Very effective!!
Fishing isn't a matter of life and death....
It's much more important.

ORWL
fishin mission
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by fishin mission »

Almonte:

Thanks for your reply i have heard this about the roe bags although i have never tied one or fished for salmon i will definitely give that a go.
Thanks again !
ganman
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by ganman »

fishin mission wrote:Ganman:

Fishing from shore but i am thinking about bringing my boat but more than likely shore fishing !
It is a little early for fish in the river. If they are in I would get some of those egg in jars with scent, believe it or not big blue plastic eggs worked best for me and usually they were in anise scent. I think they were made by Atlas. I would pickup some other colours and brands as well. Get yourself some sponge...yep sponge. Tear it up into spawn sac sized chunks and soak in scent. I'd use a #2 octopus bait hook and about a 30" piece of 10 lbs. fluorocarbon attached to a 3 way swivel. You could use mono, I never found Chinook line shy. Steelhead and browns are different. I would go smaller hook and lighter line for them but you won't see them at that time. Play around with the length of your leader until you find what works for you. On the bottom ring of the 3 way tie in a 6" piece of 6lbs. line. I'd use several split shot so you can experiment with your drift and add/subtract weight according to current speed and depth. Of course you tie your mainline to the other ring.

Drifting is sort of like flippin for bass. You strip off as much line as you handle then flip it upstream on an angle and follow downstream. The drift should be natural and drag free (no line pull). Position yourself across and slightly downstream of the spot you want to fish but you will probably see the fish anyway. You can get pretty close to Chinook as long as you're not making a commotion. It pays to have a long rod (just like everything in life) to cover more water. It should have some backbone. 8-10 ft. and rated 8-15 lbs. would be perfect. Long and light noodle rods are okay for bows and browns but I find them too light for Kings. An 8 footer would be a great rod for casting from the pier. Make sure your reel has lots of line capacity. Use mono not braid.

For fishing off the pier I'd cast heavy spoons and I have had luck with Rattle Traps or the Cordell and Rapala versions. Use the big size in blue and silver work well, same in spoons but have a few darker ones in case the water is dirty or its cloudy.
fishin mission
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by fishin mission »

Ganman:

As always some great info i will put some of it to use and i appreciate your input
We need more guys like yourself on fish hawk who isn't afraid to share some info.

Thanks a lot and i will report my fishin mission......DANO
Spence Scout
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Spence Scout »

Most of the Salmon i nthe rivers have no interest in feeding, they are there to simply spawn and die.
Roe bags, Moonshine Spoons. Cleos, small cranks, can work at the mouth when they are moving in to spawn fairly well. Id get a 8'6-10ft medium action spinning rod for peer chucking as they call it. And if your float fishing go much lighter. You wont have very good odds landing one a a basic typical spin combo. You need more rod to absorb the fight and tire out those bigger fish.. anymore questions dont hesitate to ask..