Derby Teams

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
eye-tracker
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: Derby Teams

Post by eye-tracker »

fishforfun wrote:Can the captains and all others check the derby team listing, presently I need to add RRC and nippissingboy if the list is correct I will place them right now. Thanks.
How are all the captains making out, anybody feel it's a little more than they anticipated? Be honest we can always make changes if it will help.
I think the original idea of One fish per species per angler would be easier to keep track of as a team captian. This should also level the playing field.
Sheldon Hatch
Just a guy that likes to fish walleye
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

I'm leaving shortly to head for NY....spending the weekend at outlet malls and BassPro... :D

Bottom Line...I think the quarters are agreed to be gone...noone contested that I dont think...

Now maybe if noone overly objects to it...have the one fish per species per angler debated and if theres little contesting it....that's the way to go...

The picture thing would be great as markus suggested but I think logistically for people it would be tough...

RJ
Fishing Freak
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Fishing Freak »

I think we should stay with the 5 fish per species and do away with the quarters. That way you only need to change fish after your enitial 5 are caught. That way everyone is helping their team.

If it's only largest fish per species then every one is not contributing,and if someone can't contribute then why would the want to participate.

Also I think an oddity species should be add for all species not listed (like Dogfish, and EEl). 100 points per fish 5 fish limit, :D :D :D

Juat my 2 cents
Dave
eye-tracker
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by eye-tracker »

BTW My team list looks fine...
Sheldon Hatch
M.T. Livewell
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by M.T. Livewell »

I think the 1 fish per species would be a dream come true for the captains, but may disclude some of those fisherman who do not get the time to consistently chase bigger fish.

Perhaps the solution is not 1 per species, but not 5. Let's say 2 or 3 may be more manageable.

Quarters gotta go! I was going to fish on Sat evening thinking I gotta chase walleye and catfish and musky, when really, I wanna go bass fishing. I prefer to chase those other fish later in the season, especially with bass season being so short and the musky and walleye bite really picking up in the fall.

M.T. Livewell

Post by Guest »

Why don't we get some of our more computer savvy members to write an online tool so each team member can enter their own fish. Need a little bit of database space, and a nice GUI to make it easy to use, but I'm sure if we put our heads together, we could whip up a little utility to make everyone's lives easier. Each member could enter their catches for the day, and the system would be smart enough to put the fish in the appropriate category, cull any necessary fish, and update the angler and team totals accordingly. Could have real time reporting with this tool as well; no need to captain's to update.

If this derby is something that is going to become a regular event, I'd be happy to contribute to writing a utility to facilitate the derby. Looks like this site supports PHP, and if I could get some database space, I'm sure I could write the utility in a couple weeks.

Let me know if there is interest in this tool, and/or interest from any fellow developers in helping out.

HW
SkeeterJohn
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by SkeeterJohn »

Phew okies that was a bit of a read...

Quarters
The idea of quarters seemed to be to keep the interest level up as points are reaccumulated. On the other hand it doesn't really serve any other purpose as only the larger fish were going to count anyways... So i really think we should continue as is but scrap the quarters.

Final Score
The way it is right now it's going to be quantity not quality that wins... the team who has the most people catch the most species will win... that's one reason we're seeing some teams soar ahead.

I think a change in the number of fish counted to the final score needs to be made... As pointed out on many occasions it's nothing much for the erie guys to catch a 14" perch and score crazy points where around here a 14" perch is hard to find. Limiting the number of fish that count to the team score has to happen somehow.

I would suggest the best two fish per species per TEAM. Keep the scoring as is from day to day to keep it interesting and so that everyone feels they are participating.

Personally i'd like some of the species dropped and some of the points reduced... but i think the sizes are about right.

Any other thoughts...

My view:

1- drop the quarters.
2- team wins based on best 2 fish per species per team

As for making some kind of online scoring system... well that sounds like a winter project to me :wink: :wink:
eye-tracker
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by eye-tracker »

Hawg Wobbler wrote:
Let me know if there is interest in this tool, and/or interest from any fellow developers in helping out.

HW
This is a good idea Hawg Wobbler...

The biggest challange would be developing tool access via user authentication with phpBB. The good thing is the login transport is not SSL so a solution should be straight forward. I am sure the users would not wan't to login with a different user name and password to enter a fish catch.

This is a very do able task with a small relational database model and a few sql procedures to do the calculations. Keeping the design object oriented will allow for changes as the derby changes rules, points, fish and etc.

I think you will need to engage Bobber to get MySql access or create a new MySql database instance for development of the tool.

If you need any assistance I am sure I could offer some help :wink:

now...back to fishing talk
Sheldon Hatch
spinner
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by spinner »

If someone is going to write an online tool, I have a suggestion that could help to make the standings closer which could have a positive impact for overall participation.

We now have 18 species and I suggest that the top 10 species by team by total be counted by each team. I would think that the majority of members are unlikely to catch much more than 10 species on average. The species could vary by team due to strengths and locations of all different members. This also would not eliminate the desire to fish for several species as we are now, it's just that the teams top point getters by species will be used for the total and the 10 species used could change for each team depending on what is being caught by their members at any specific time.
Please note that I am not suggesting to have any species removed, just that each team counts their best 10 weekly and the top 10 could change at any time.
With an online tool (or modified excel program?), this or some other idea(s) may be easily manageable, I think :roll: .
Last edited by spinner on Fri Aug 06, 2004 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
M.T. Livewell
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by M.T. Livewell »

Oooh Spinner, I like that!!! Or at least something like that. It would keep us easterners in the game and not competitive, and not be handicapped because we cannot find the salmonoids.

Eye-Tracker? :? Was that english?

M.T. Livewell

Post by Guest »

MT, it's nerd English. :) We like to speak in acronyms.

User authentication shouldn't be a huge ordeal. I'd have to look at the login for this application and see what was happening. I'd imagine that the user information is just getting thrown in a cookie or session variable, and I'd suspect I can get it from there so that the user doesn't need to login to enter the fish results. They just have to go to the utility, and it'll know who they are based on them having previously logged into the system.

After that, it's just smooth sailing. As you said, a couple of SQL queries, a little bit of code, a GUI, and we're rockin'.

I'll check out the phpBB site and see if I can get some info on how they are storing session data. Once I know that, we'll be able to roll.

Again, this is all based on the premise that this is decided to be a worthwhile tool. We are talking about minimal database space, but then again, space costs money, and I don't know the logisitics of how this site is supported.

If the mods/administrators could provide some feedback, that would be great.

Cheers,

HW
Junior24
Participant
Participant

Post by Junior24 »

Hey folks,
I've been reading and watching the posts about the derby. Really I dont care how you decide to do it, but I would love to be in on the action. I dont know what I have to do to join but I'd love to be part of it and to help out.
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

Keep the species. Let the fishermen go fishing and the computer programers can design another picture gallery to host the pictures of all the fish we catch.

Lets stop crying about Salmon. You guys can get em. JimW, Ransome, BigO, Xenos, Topwater are all testiments to that. Look at the Muski for the SW guys. You haven't seen us cry because we haven't registered one. We have accepted it as a challange and are going to do are best to get a trip in, or just accept the fact we won't be registering points in that category.
eye-tracker
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by eye-tracker »

Markus wrote:Lets stop crying about Salmon. You guys can get em. JimW, Ransome, BigO, Xenos, Topwater are all testiments to that. Look at the Muski for the SW guys.
Markus... I agree with you. I don't fish salmon but plan to do some this fall. In this part of ontario we have great lake trout fishing, I have already scored 575 points on lakers...this equals most of the salmon points caught by others :wink:
Sheldon Hatch
M.T. Livewell
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by M.T. Livewell »

I'm just teasing about the salmon, don't get your down riggers in a knot. :P

In fact, they are quite delicious and look forward to actually trying to catch some. (Believe it or not).

M.T. Livewell

(bet most of you didn't know that the T in M.T. stands for trolling :roll: )