Derby Teams

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

And don't forget the Brookies, you guys have a lot of great brookie spots in the north. I can't wait to get home to NS and catch a few limits of spec's!
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

M.T. Livewell wrote:I'm just teasing about the salmon, don't get your down riggers in a knot. :P

In fact, they are quite delicious and look forward to actually trying to catch some. (Believe it or not).

M.T. Livewell

(bet most of you didn't know that the T in M.T. stands for trolling :roll: )
You're gonna love it when I'm done with you on the weekend of the 28th!
BASSSTALKER
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by BASSSTALKER »

I like a few idea's posted here. I like spinners idea about counting the top 10 species. I also agreee that the quarters have to go!. I like the idea of having to break my current points and it will slow the point race down.

I also agree that the point spread for the perch/muskie gotta be changed. I took me 4 years of trying to nail my first muskie (finally got some skill) and I can fish perch with a bobber and worm (were is the skill?)

I also think that rainbows should be in two catagories. Steelhead and Rainbow. I can fish bows but the largest would be maybe 14". and that is a beauty considering the size of the creek! and Markus not all of us can just take off and travel to go fishing for one reason or another!

So what are we going to do?

BASSSTALKER
BASSSTALKER
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by BASSSTALKER »

Oh ya, do all the teams have the same amount or close amount of members, because I can't remember when the REELS had a new member?

not bitcchin just asking

BASSSTALKER
Moosebunk
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Moosebunk »

Great points Basss.

I'm up for 10 species as well, knowing that Whites will probably get thrown off the list and I'll be left with 3 of the 10 species. That aside, if what's counted is the persons single best fish, individual peoples points shouldn't be as far off as say 10000 points. Even if all you can catch is a few decent fish in a couple catagories, the person who cleans up in all catagories with awesome fish is greatly rewarded but, the person with the lesser catch still appears to have contributed, because the point spread isn't astronomical.
big-o
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by big-o »

One big problem is that when teams post thier results on one thread,we all jump in with comments....makes it hard to run thru 20 posts looking for members daily catch!!!, we should make a stickie for each team...where you post only the catch....no comments,...it would make life easyer...I still like the Quarterly thing...give a team a fresh start,but i would carry the points over at the end of the derby...we tally the points and the team with the most points wins!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

10 species sucks. Why penelize a fishermen because he has the ability to catch multi species. He/she should be rewarded for their efforts.

Also, I don't want to hear about not having time and the ability to try these other fish species out. That arguement is very weak. Basstalker, I read your posts, you have the time, you're out all the time. Guys are always lookig for partners for the odd road trip. I've seen a few guys say, "hey, i'm gonna be in the area, can someone hook up with me?" and they go fishing.

It take a little effort and a bit of time management, bu this board is full of oppurtunities for everyone.
topwater
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by topwater »

I personally don't agree with limiting the species to 10 I know there are species I will not catch and I'm fine with that hopfully someone else on the team will catch some :)

As for the perch vs musky thing heres my sugestion the lenths for 100 point fish are fine as they are however the plus /minus for oversize undersize fish should be the same for all species

for example say 5 points
now a 14 inch perch is 130 points a fair point for a very decent fish by the same a 50" musky is 200 points a fair points for a trophy fish

I've taken 5 points but it could be any value

as for team size I dont think any team should be short more than 1 if three teams have 17 and 3 have 16 new players should only draw from the three that have 16 when it gets down that one tam has 16 the next to join goes to that team automatically

now as for the time it takes to do stats some team must be getting a lot more fish then team four is I just did our stats and to do all the changes update my post and send the new spread sheet to John took all of maybe 15 minutes(two finger typest :oops: :oops: :oops: )and I hadn't updated it in two days , now doing this post took just as long . I think Big-o's point is well taken if there was a post for the teams where there are no comments
ie
Topwater
august 5
carp 30"
smallmouth 16", 14" (I wish)

all the info we need to do stats is name, date species and lenght
this would make it so much easier pictures and story could go on a seperate post where comments would be welcome .
M.T. Livewell
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by M.T. Livewell »

Just The Facts!

Talk amongst yourselves. :twisted:

So far 9 brook trout caught in total by 3 anglers

So far 6 brown trout caught in total by 2 anglers

So far 6 coho caught in total by 3 anglers

So far 6 whitefish caught in total by 2 anglers

No splake at all

We have approx 105 anglers and only 27 total fish of those 5 species were caught by 10 or fewer different anglers

Approx 95 anglers have caught none of the 5 species above = 90% have caught none of them

Just giving the pot a little stir. :P

M.T. Livewell
Moosebunk
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Moosebunk »

Scrap the 10 species idea. You'z guys are right, what was I thinking. :roll:

Could we please add

SOCKEYE
DOLLY VARDEN
CUTTHROAT
STURGEON

These are fish I will have the opportunity to travel to and fish this fall. I would like to have them added to our "WORLD WIDE FISHING DERBY."

PS Team 3. I'll scrape together what funds and/or vacation time I have left to try and get me a muskie charter, trout/salmon charter, and maybe a week or two on the rideau so I can catch a few bass, crappie and perch. Anyone interested in joining me???

Also can somebody suggest where I might beable to get some channel cats and gar. I think I can hit a few splake lakes too if I can just get this cell division thing to work. :wink: :lol:
BASSSTALKER
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by BASSSTALKER »

Bunk, PM me and I'll go with you. THe boat aint big she will do!

BASSSTALKER
Rideaufish
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Rideaufish »

I would think all reports should be pm-ed to the capts then you can just brag in the team sticky. 2 more us cents
SkeeterJohn
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by SkeeterJohn »

I must admit that on the whole team 3 has been excellent at getting their results to me... they all post to tell the others how they did but they make sure i get a pm and they seem to verify their score once i post the results...
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

I still say we gotta add ROCKBASS. :lol: Then I could be a team onto myself and still kick arse! I think the rockbass are attracted to me or something. The rest of the fish kingdom is avoiding me like the plague.

W.
Thanks, Dad, for taking me fishing when I was a kid.
Moosebunk
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Moosebunk »

Moosebunk wrote: Could we please add

SOCKEYE
DOLLY VARDEN
CUTTHROAT
STURGEON
Hey, still curious??? C'mon we've got everything else.