Not monsters, but my PB's so far this summer...

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
campnfish
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Not monsters, but my PB's so far this summer...

Post by campnfish »

So I'm a trout fisherman and was recently invited to my Aunt and Uncle's cottage in the Pontiac. I thought 'awesome! Trout country!' and packed all my trout gear, ready to get some specks and bows.

Unfortunately, due to the natural ebb and flow of the eco-system on their lake and the surrounding lakes, the trout population was suffering and very few had been caught that year. Blame the long winter, acid rain, Obama, whatever - the trout were absent.

I don't normally fish for bass (a sin, I know) but decided that I would rather try to catch something than sit on the deck all day, lamenting the lack of trout and drinking away my sorrows. After getting some tips on plastics and presentation from one of the Robs of Bassassins earlier in the week, I was eager to field test my new-found knowledge.

Now my aunt and uncle are from the old school, and insisted on using minnows (yes, dead ones, we're in Quebec folks). They laughed at me when I wacky-rigged a soft plastic, and continued to poke fun at me as we slowly crept along, casting into structure along the shoreline.

Then this happened:
bass2.jpg
bass2.jpg (31.55 KiB) Viewed 1207 times
"Oh sure, even a broken watch works twice a day!" My Uncle says....
bass.jpg
bass.jpg (128.64 KiB) Viewed 1207 times
The peanut gallery fell silent after that. The minnows stayed in the bucket, and my soft plastics suddenly got a little more respect, and a lot more use. 3.1lbs on the top, and my PB 4.2lbs on the bottom. Not award winners, but they came at just the right time and made me feel like a pro, especially since I got them on 4lb test and an ultra-light Diawa Wilderness pack rod!

Tight lines,

Campnfish
lapointeric
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: Not monsters, but my PB's so far this summer...

Post by lapointeric »

Nice job bud!

E
toned
Participant
Participant

Post by toned »

landing those on ultra light rods must of been a ton of fun!

right on and thanks for sharing
MichaelGA
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by MichaelGA »

Great to hear... I love it when that kind of stuff happens. Nice fish - next time you go up take some kinda crazy stupid lure and get them to try it. :O It just might work.
Dcaster
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Dcaster »

Super cool, nice report and nice fish.

Thanks for sharing!