fly fishing

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
darosa4
Participant
Participant

fly fishing

Post by darosa4 »

just purchased my first fly rod, any spots i should try out?
Out4trout
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: fly fishing

Post by Out4trout »

Fly fishing little poppers for bass can be a great way to learn, and you can fish nearly any lake or river around. To get the hang of fly casting, start from a boat big enough to stand up from.
There is a dedicated fly fishing forum on this site, many from here fish trout in the mountain streams in upstate NY.
LeGrand
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by LeGrand »

darosa4 wrote:just purchased my first fly rod, any spots i should try out?
Would help to know where abouts you live to provide suggestions. But any local body of water is sure to reward you, be it a small fish and/or a satisfying one. Especially on a fly you tied yourself.
darosa4
Participant
Participant

Post by darosa4 »

i live in westboro, but am willing to drive about an hour away, i also have chest waders. does meech lake have any spots to chest wade from?
and how much is a quebec licence.
CyrusG
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by CyrusG »

Meech is one of my favorite lakes I've only fished it on my jon boat but my buddy told me there are a few spots you can fish from shore and the fishing can be great. A non resident Quebec license is $70
Cy
NMG
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by NMG »

If you are new to fly fishing, I'd just head down to Dow's Lake. You'll have lots of space to practice casting without hanging up (just watch for people on the pathways) and you'll catch loads of panfish with surface poppers or small leech patterns. Good chance you'll even tag into a bass or two. A floating line and a standard leader is all you need.
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Todd B. »

Lots of wadable stretches on the Ottawa and Rideau, all within the city. Just be sure you wear the proper wading boots and have a wading staff at a minimum.
"There wouldn't have been any butt kickings if that stupid death ray had worked."
Super
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Super »

Try Shirley's Bay near the end of Carling Avenue in the evening.
Very wadeable if you stay to the left and you should hit lots of 12 inch smallmouth which are very exciting on a fly rod.
It is a sandy bottom and no current if you stay left from the parking lot.
David