To Slave For Lakers. Report.

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Moosebunk
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

To Slave For Lakers. Report.

Post by Moosebunk »

During 1938 while in Yellowknife on business, Warren Plummer and his father had heard stories from local folk about an incredible fishing area called the "Taltheilei Narrows" on Great Slave Lake. Curious, the two traveled by canoe some 150 miles with a 4hp motor to discover the legends were true. In a short time afterwards, Taltheilei Narrows became the site for Plummer’s Great Slave Lake Lodge. Adventurers began visiting to enjoy some of the finest fishing, scenery, and outfitting service in the Northwest Territories, a tradition that continues to this day. Trophy lake trout up to 60 pounds, arctic grayling and northern pike, can all be caught from the lodge. Choosing to jig the narrows for lakers to 45 pounds or, trolling the bays for that chance at a 60, Great Slave Lake Lodge and it’s surrounding northern beauty provides the perfect stage for anyone’s Arctic fishing memories.

But could July 2014 be the year all this history is lost???

Early winter Brenda had asked if we could go fishing come summer. When she requests such, that usually means we'll be breaking the bank and heading some place to be overly pampered while afforded the incredible. Okay by me. Back 2008 she cut her teeth on the travel fishing experience at Plummer's Lodge Great Bear Lake and Tree River. A return trip in 2011, it was evident that being together and fishing like this is time we both deeply cherish. Trying to make every three years become our ritual, this winter after inviting a number of friends to join in with the hope of creating a group trip, the two left standing were just Brenda and I... Fine by us, our only concern afterwards became where to go. Lake Athabasca and Great Slave were the choices, although Brenda wanted Great Bear and the Tree again more than anything. All things considered, I chose Great Slave for these reasons. Protected waters, for the safety the area provides and the knowing that there are never any "no fishing" days. As well, Slave is quite likely the lake trout jigging mecca of all, and Plummer's as an outfitter provides services second to none for experiencing such. Finally, it is a place possessing a long fishing history, yet at the same time is completely new and interesting to us.

I was eager for it. After earlier angling growth and experiences on James Bay jigging walleyes to more recent years dropping jigs for lake trout all over my local Hell's half acre, I thought it good time to tackle Great Slave's legendary lake trout.

"To Slave for Lakers."

To read the full picture loaded story follow here...

http://bunksoutdoorangle.com/to-slave-for-lakers/

Thanks,

Bunk.
Last edited by Moosebunk on Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moosebunk
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Re: To Slave For Lakers. Report.

Post by Moosebunk »

Last edited by Moosebunk on Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moosebunk
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Moosebunk »

Last edited by Moosebunk on Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moosebunk
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Moosebunk »

Last edited by Moosebunk on Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cprince
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by cprince »

Geeze bunk... wt-hell? That is a trip of a life time for most people, but you seem to have your ducks in a row to keep doing it over and over!

Nice to see you with that smile that a 30lb+ Laker can tattoo on your face!!

Thank you for sharing with us, and congs on that monster!

Craig
CyrusG
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by CyrusG »

I took the time to read through this like i do to every of your reports and all i can say is WOW :shock: , I've mentioned fish hawk to a few guys out on the water and tell them to check out your reports because i can't think of any that are better, I met Len a little while ago on the water and while he was showing me pics of monster pike i asked him if hes seen some of your reports, only to find out you were with him during that trip :lol:
Cy
Olivier Livernoche
Participant
Participant

Post by Olivier Livernoche »

Sweet report, awesome pics.

Congrats!
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

Another epic trip in the books Bunk. Thanks for sharing all that with us. Defininetly a trip that dreams are made of.

Dan aka WB
When hell freezes over, I'll be there icefishing!!!

If you can't stand behind our troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

Experience is that marvellous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again
scuro
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scuro »

Thanks for all the detail and time put into that report. A very pleasurable read that was both enjoyable and educational. Oh...and awesome fish! :twisted:
...anything to bend the rod
MichaelGA
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by MichaelGA »

Amazing - almost no words.

Thanks for sharing.

When you start guiding shoot me a PM - I'll be glad to join you on an adventure.
Gord
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Post by Gord »

STUNNING!!!! :o :o :o

.......NUFF SAID!! ;) :)
I'm a goin' fishin', mama's goin' fishin' and my baby's goin fishin' too.

.......Taj Mahal.... "Fishin' Blues"
Eli
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Eli »

Awesome all around.
Small world man...four of us were camped on an island in the East Arm at the same time you were there :D
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by zippyfx »

Moose, as always, an incredible report... I was wondering what you were upto...
lapointeric
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by lapointeric »

Thank you for transporting me from my office to a vacation of a lifetime—if only for a few minutes. Another epic report.

Cheers,

E
mb_fishing
Participant
Participant

Post by mb_fishing »

Although the fish in your reports are great I love the pictures of the landscapes even more...this really brings life into your reports. (The stromatolites images in this report were amazing!) Would be great if you could share photo details occasionally...shutter speed/aperture etc. as you are truly mastering this aspect.

Breathtaking pics and story...and of course happy to hear the lodge made it...

Thanks for sharing!