I'm starting to think pike don't grow to 40 inches in Big O

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
rex.stpierre
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: I'm starting to think pike don't grow to 40 inches in Bi

Post by rex.stpierre »

So we know for sure that two pike over 40 inches come out of the ottawa per year... Lol... I'll be doing my best to get one this winter!!! God bless suckers!
This year I spent most of my money on beer, women and fishing...the rest I wasted.
Tip-up
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Tip-up »

Like RJ said, your best chance at a 40'' class pike are much higher up river in the late spring to early summer. 12lb - 16lbs fish are not uncommon when the water temps are right. From what I've seen, river sections that inhabit musky typically won't hold many big northern pike on the Ottawa. There are 20lb fish in the O and we have seen them. Been a few years since I put a decent gater in the boat but my brother caught one about 12lbs this past spring and our buddy caught one over 15 the same tournament. Even further up river towards from where I fish(Chapeau QC) in Petawawa and Deep River the average size is 8-11lbs in the spring so you can only imagine what a big fish would top out at. It's all about water temp and location. Some big ones around the Shirley's Bay/ Aylmer stretches that's a fact! Seen two 18lb'ers that were posted on Facebook from the Upper Ottawa River this spring.

Missed this fish the evening before. Went back the next morning and got her! Caught in Chapeau QC. I don't remember when I caught it(2007?) but its been my PB ever since.

rex.stpierre
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by rex.stpierre »

How long was that one and how much does it weigh?

I fish below downtown Ottawa and in the spring I was averaging 6lbs I would say, all pike, and yes I caught many. My longest was 35 inch but it was skinny. When the water warmed up, the muskies moved into the bays I am used to fishing...and yes, I did hook 40 plus muskies. No 50 inch muskies and not 40 inch pike....I think my odds of getting either are similar because they are both scarce!!!
This year I spent most of my money on beer, women and fishing...the rest I wasted.
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

rex.stpierre wrote: No 50 inch muskies and not 40 inch pike....I think my odds of getting either are similar because they are both scarce!!!
I'd be willing to bet there were 20 times more 50 inch Muskies caught this year than 40 inch Pike in the Lower Ottawa.......

RJ
rex.stpierre
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by rex.stpierre »

Making 40 inch pike even more scarce... So I'm not crazy... I would have bet on a 50 inch musky before a 40 inch pike also...

Funny cause 40 inch pike are more abundant than 50 inch muskies at lake of the woods based on a close friend that guided there for 10 years... Different waters, different structure, different fishing pressure, different food source....
Relic
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Relic »

RJ wrote:
I'd be willing to bet there were 20 times more 50 inch Muskies caught this year than 40 inch Pike in the Lower Ottawa.......

RJ
Absolutely!!

I fish the Ottawa a lot for muskies and have for over 15 years, we catch tonnes of pike every year. I have exactly ZERO over 40 inches.

Contrary to what many believe pike are COLD WATER fish, hence the biggest pike from our country come from areas with cooler climates and deep, cold waterbodies, including the Arctic! In the Ottawa your best chance at big pike is going to up past Rolphton to Temiscaming.
reboot
Participant
Participant

Post by reboot »

Relic wrote:
Absolutely!!

I fish the Ottawa a lot for muskies and have for over 15 years, we catch tonnes of pike every year. I have exactly ZERO over 40 inches.

Contrary to what many believe pike are COLD WATER fish, hence the biggest pike from our country come from areas with cooler climates and deep, cold waterbodies, including the Arctic! In the Ottawa your best chance at big pike is going to up past Rolphton to Temiscaming.
Yeah, I've fished up just past Temiskaming and got a beautiful 40+" pike... Just the head itself was about as big if not bigger than the average size bass here in Ottawa :D
lapointeric
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by lapointeric »

Tell me more about this documentary about the Ottawa!

E
lapointeric
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by lapointeric »

Found them:

http://aquahacking.com/en/video-zone

Haven't had a chance to watch them yet, but I don't think they cover the topics you were hoping for (ie fishing, marine life).

E
rex.stpierre
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by rex.stpierre »

lapointeric wrote:Found them:

http://aquahacking.com/en/video-zone

Haven't had a chance to watch them yet, but I don't think they cover the topics you were hoping for (ie fishing, marine life).

E
I watched it... it really doesn't touch on what a fisherman really wants to here about. It's more about the sustainable use of Ottawa river water.
tbone1088
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by tbone1088 »

rex that spot I was talking about is the macdonald cartier bridge, jacques cartier is the park right beside it. Check it out in spring and fall for bigger fish, hopefully you can get one or two over 40 inches they are there bud, good luck.
MUSKY HUNTER
Participant
Participant

Post by MUSKY HUNTER »

They exist in right area's at the right time I caught a 42" 2 years ago. Was fishing in early November
cprince
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by cprince »

ildogg wrote:
PIKE 44inches.jpg
Leave it to you to find the big ones.. but buddy... you gotta have a better pic than that!!!

;)

Nice one Ill man! Look forward to seeing reports from you bud!!

Craig
cprince
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by cprince »

ildogg wrote:
238.jpeg
Sometimes the buddy on the camera doesn't always get the best picture. l.o.l. you know how it goes.
Here's my biggest Musky for this season. Same guy on the camera.
Jebus!!!!

Huge pickle there Ill!!

(When did you grow a friggen beard?? Did you even shave the last time I saw you?? LOL!!)

Craig