new boat advice...kind of

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
johnsmith7724
Participant
Participant

new boat advice...kind of

Post by johnsmith7724 »

Hi all,
I was wondering if I could get some advice. I have been shore fishing the Ottawa area for some time but am looking to get off the shore. I can certainly afford a decent fishing boat, the problem is storage and transportation. I can't store the boat at home and even if I could I do not have the ability to trailer a boat. So, I figured that I could get a boat and a slip at a marina and (while unfortunately expensive :shock: ) not sure if there are any other options available. With that in mind, I wanted to go with something on lake missippi as I know those waters very well (fished there all my childhood...). Unfortunately can not find a marina there willing to store a small fishing boat (actually they are willing they just tell me though that it will probably get stolen so don't recommend it). I see that Pirate Cove marina appears (at least on there website) to allow docking of fishing boats) and it is secured. So that does appear to be an option. But I do not know the Rideau river very well (have fished from shore along the Rideau at kars, Nicholas Island, Black Rapids etc) but have never had very good luck. So the questions I would have:

1) there are insanely huge cabin cruiser boats that generate monster wakes. Could these boats swamp a small fishing boat like I am considering
2) related to 1) but would a 12 foot boat be ok to fish the waters around pirate cove marina (Rideau around Kemptville) or would it be safer to get something bigger (how big would you suggest)
3) most importantly, since I will not be able to move the boat to different lakes/rivers the location of the marina is essential if I am going to enjoy fishing. What is the fishing like along this stretch of the Rideau. I know there is a ton of boat traffic in this area...does this kill the fishing action. What kinds of fish have folks caught/targeted here. Would it be better to find another marina (on the Ottawa river?)

Thanks so much for you advice. Regards, John
ShawnD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: new boat advice...kind of

Post by ShawnD »

Welcome to the board. :D

They're guys on this board that will be able to tell you about the fishing on the Rideau.

If you can afford it, buy a 15 or 16 foot vhull, this size of boat will allow you to get on the water, not get swamped (as much, compared to a 12ft boat) and ultimately not have to pick and choose which days you can and can't go out on the water.

If you can get a spot on the Ottawa River near at the Petrie Island Marina, you'll have access to a VERY big fishery and all kinds of back bays and creeks to get away from the boat traffic. Speaking of which... If you think Rideau is bad, you should see the Ottawa.. :roll:

I used to own a 13 footer, I've been on the Ottawa, Mississippi Lake, etc.. But I didn't want to have to pick and choose the days I can and cannot go out on the water, ( Due to boat traffic, wind and rain ) so I bought a 17 1/2 Fiberglass Bass boat.

The nice thing about a 15 foot aluminum, it can be towed with a car, preferably something like a Rav-4 or a Subaru. AWD is nice to have on those steep gravel launches.
That's my 2 cents.

Shawn.D
President of the Ottawa Valley South Bassmasters
http://www.ottawabassmasters.com/
River Monster
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by River Monster »

I fish the Rideau weekly and love it! Fishing is great once you learn to deal with the weeds. Lots of pike, Musky and largemouth and lately for some reason I've been catching lots of smallmouth and big walleye.

You can really get away with using a handful of lures on the water and catch plenty of quality fish.

I either fish out of bass tracker with a friend or out of my 14ft aluminum. never had an issue with capsizing from the waves of some of the bigger boats.

Boat traffic is pretty busy on weekends so i prefer to hit the water really early. As for weeknights its pretty dead and find the fishing much better in the evenings.

i'm sure you would be fine in a 12ft boat. 14 would be a little better, but it all depends on your budget

I mainly fish the areas around pirate cove, lots of great fishing on both sides of the river

Pm me if you require anymore info
- Rick Ozga
flewdogg
Participant
Participant

Post by flewdogg »

Hey John, welcome. I was in the same boat as you (pun intended) until last year, i.e., had no boat. I bought a 12-foot aluminum runabout last summer and I love it. It's really improved the quality of my catches by opening up new water to me. However, your concerns about "swamping" are valid. Although I haven't been "swamped" per se, I have been buffeted around by large wake left by larger craft on the Ottawa River (nothing too scary, just a "hang on" kind of moment). I don't fish the Rideau on my boat because I have close shore access to it near where I live, but I do go on the Ottawa all the time. I also use my boat regularly on the Mississippi River and Mississippi Lake and have no trouble on either body of water.

Despite my generally good experience with a small boat, if I were you I would go with the advice above and get a 15-16 footer. I am already thinking of upgrading because my current tub only comfortably seats me and one other and of course now I have lots of friends who want to go fishing with me!

Finally, I'm not sure why you can't trailer a boat but if you can you should consider it. It's nice to have options and be able to explore all the great bodies of water we have around Eastern Ontario and Quebec.

Good luck in your search!
Fishoholic
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Fishoholic »

All good advice above. If your nervous about trailering a boat because you've never done it before then a 12 ft is easy to trailer and after doing it a few times you'll be a pro. Plus like stated above having a trailer opens up so many doors. If its because of health reasons then understandable.

I have a 12ft aluminum that I use on the Ottawa and never had any issues with big boats. I only have a 4.5 on that one but would recommend a 9.9 as its a little slow on big water. I use it at Shirley's bay all the time and it can get pretty choppy but I've had no issues. Beauty of this boat is I can go out solo and throw it into the bed of my truck and fish ANY lake you can get a truck to. Prime for trout fishing. It it's a matter of space I know a few guys that rent out storage lockers and keep their aluminum boats in there (cheaper than storing at a marina I would assume).

If your going To go the slip route I would get a boat Bigger than a 12 ft. More comfortable and smoother on choppy days. Plus you can bring more people fishing. I also have a 17ft with a 115 for bigger waters like the Ottawa. It is way more comfortable to fish out of here and you dont have to worry as much about choppy water and big boats. Plus If family just wants a day on water sans fishing then we can go out tubing or whatnot. Even the 17 ft boat is easy to trailer and I can take it out for a solo fish no problem.

Each boat has its uses and I switch back and forth depending on what I plan on doing that day. You'll have to determine the type of fishing and uses it will e primarily used for and make a decision based on that. If your physically able to trailer a boat and fish often enough I would suggest a trailer because you may be kicking yourself in the butt of your confined to one stretch of water for a whole season. I know I would!
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

John,

River monster fishes out I my bass tracker almost weekly with me. This year we have caught pike, Muskie, walleye and bass.

As stated above, the boat traffic on the weekend is busy but manageable. I would go with at least a 14' as some of the boat wakes are a little crazy and I have come close to getting swamped in a 14 footer.

The fishing is great in that area and you really don't have to travel too far.

If you have any other questions, feel free to pm me.

Adam
johnsmith7724
Participant
Participant

Post by johnsmith7724 »

Hi all,
wow this was great. Thanks so much for the info really appreciate. Sounds like this stretch of rideau would certainly be a good stretch to enjoy fishing at.

Regards, John
clint
Participant
Participant

Post by clint »

have you talked to the people at Johns marina on Mississippi Lake?
I know that they have slips on their big dock now.
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by TheMaverick »

On an "ok" day you’ll catch a 12lbs bag of Largies (5 fish)……on a rough day I’d say 10lbs, and then there’s the 8lbs bag :? :lol:
If fishin ain't your mission, then you can kiss my Bass!
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

That's subtle...
ShawnD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by ShawnD »

Man slow day for me... I've got nothing for that.. :lol:

But I just got a coffee, give me a minute la la!
President of the Ottawa Valley South Bassmasters
http://www.ottawabassmasters.com/
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by TheMaverick »

lape0019 wrote:That's subtle...
ShawnD wrote:Man slow day for me... I've got nothing for that.. :lol:

But I just got a coffee, give me a minute la la!
Lulz! ;)
If fishin ain't your mission, then you can kiss my Bass!
JasonK
Participant
Participant

Post by JasonK »

I have my RV in a storage yard in Orleans and there are lots of boats in amongst the RVs and other trailers. Cost is about $50/month and there are quite a few places around Orleans that have these secured outdoor storage yards so that could be an option depending on where you live. We fish out of Oziles at Petrie and it looks like people store their boats there on trailers and just put them in when they use it.

I was in a similar situation, wanting a boat and no room to store at home and not wanting to pay for storage for another toy and went with a high quality inflatable boat. I don't think I would use it as much if I had to set it up every time I wanted to use it so I got a shore berth at Oziles for the season. I just show up with my motor and fishing gear and I'm on the water in 15 minutes or less.

PM me if you want more details on the inflatable or the shore berth.

Jason
Mudpout
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Mudpout »

If you really want to get out on the ottawa a twelve footer will be "iffy" at best. You will have to pick your days, and even then you will be confined to back bays during day time hours. On weekends during the day its borderline suicide! Learn your winds and how they effect the river. A 15k NE wind on lake of two is enough to keep anything under 15-16 on shore, yet on a smaller lake or river that could be a downright comfortable day. i went from a 12, to a 15 to an 17+ as budget and tow vehicles evolved. My last boat was a 15 foot crestliner with a 30hp, awesome boat, could tow it with my little 4 banger impreza no prob and on most days very fishable.....most days. Lake of two definitely scared the crap outta us a few times. Next step was an 1775 pro v, very stable boat yet this weekend, while on the ottawa, i was working a shoreline and saw a massive wave coming, managed to turn my nose into it, when the nose dropped after the first wave, the second come right over the bow and dumped a butt load of water inside. woulda been royally screwed in a tinny there and prob lost all my stuff.

Doesnt take much of a vehicle to tow a lil 14-15 footer nor storage space. I could launch my crestliner with my fourwheeler. heck ive even seen a bmw 3series towing a boat, lil mazda's, you name it. No matter what you get though, you will always need an extra 2 feet lol.
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

TheMaverick wrote:On an "ok" day you’ll catch a 12lbs bag of Largies (5 fish)……on a rough day I’d say 10lbs, and then there’s the 8lbs bag :? :lol:
Now that's funny.. :lol:

Rideau would be my choice and stick to evenings or weekdays and you will never have any issues. It's an amazing river that produces quality fish.

RJ