Crotch Lake 2014

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Duper
Participant
Participant

Crotch Lake 2014

Post by Duper »

Last week my brother-in-law and I did our annual Crotch Lake Camping trip. Its the 4th year in a row we've gone together and my 7th year in a row camping there. We camp not far from the S Bush Road ramp and primarily do all of our fishing around that area. We were there Mon-Wed. The forecast predicted rain and it was right as we were rained on about half the time there but did manage a few sunny breaks where we were able to get on the water.

With the water level being up for the 2nd year in a row the fishing was a bit tough but I managed at least 1 fish of all the main species including the biggest Pike and Walleye I'd ever seen come out of there. I have caught a lot of both over the years but none close to these two. We managed about 20 fish total and had a great time. Since it was during the week and with the forecast as it was I think we saw maybe 2 other boats on the whole lake. Nice and peaceful.

flewdogg
Participant
Participant

Re: Crotch Lake 2014

Post by flewdogg »

Nice fish! Too bad about the rain but looks like you made good use of the time you had to fish. I've been meaning to try Crotch Lake for some camping for a while now. I camped on Crown land at Long Schooner in June and paid a small fee to North Frontenac for the privilege of parking and the site. It's a stunning place and was worth the cost. Did you have to pay for the Crotch Lake camping?
Duper
Participant
Participant

Post by Duper »

flewdogg wrote:Nice fish! Too bad about the rain but looks like you made good use of the time you had to fish. I've been meaning to try Crotch Lake for some camping for a while now. I camped on Crown land at Long Schooner in June and paid a small fee to North Frontenac for the privilege of parking and the site. It's a stunning place and was worth the cost. Did you have to pay for the Crotch Lake camping?

Crotch Lake is also part of North Frontenac Park so it is the same process as Long Schooner, same website, costs, etc. It gets busy on weekends so I'd recommend during the week if you have the time. There is a lodge at the far end of the lake which I've heard good things about and it gets a little busier on that end of the lake but we prefer to rough it.
campnfish
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by campnfish »

Fishing and camping....two things that are fun on their own and even better together!

Nice catch guys, good to see there's still some decent sized fish in that lake.... :)
Dcaster
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Dcaster »

Cool report, thanks for sharing.

:handgestures-thumbup:
Bassmanpro420
Participant
Participant

Post by Bassmanpro420 »

Have u ever fished silver lake?
flewdogg
Participant
Participant

Post by flewdogg »

Bassmanpro420 wrote:Have u ever fished silver lake?
I fished Silver Lake for the first time this May, just a couple days after the late ice out. Marked a lot of them north of the only island but only caught one, in about 15-20 fow. I hear it's decent for smallies in summer but you don't hear about people catching lakers in the warm months. There's really only one really deep basin so you'd think you could target that with dipsy divers or downriggers and get some summer lakers, no? It gets a lot of pressure due to its proximity to Highway 7, so that probably takes a toll on them.
Duper
Participant
Participant

Post by Duper »

flewdogg wrote:
Bassmanpro420 wrote:Have u ever fished silver lake?
I fished Silver Lake for the first time this May, just a couple days after the late ice out. Marked a lot of them north of the only island but only caught one, in about 15-20 fow. I hear it's decent for smallies in summer but you don't hear about people catching lakers in the warm months. There's really only one really deep basin so you'd think you could target that with dipsy divers or downriggers and get some summer lakers, no? It gets a lot of pressure due to its proximity to Highway 7, so that probably takes a toll on them.

I have never fished Silver Lake. My aunt and uncle used to own a cottage on Little Silver Lake which is about 15 mins away but never made it onto Silver.
lapointeric
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by lapointeric »

Beauty walleye bud. Did you break it's back or something reeling it in? :-)

E
JZ
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by JZ »

Nice job, I have only fished that lake once in the south end, we stayed at tumble home lodge. Doing a boat in camping trip there is on my to do list. In the couple days we were there we got some decent bass but could only get a couple of small walleye which were both just below the slot nice to see there are some bigger ones in there. Didn't even know there was a launch at that of the lake. Is it decent? Any parking?
Duper
Participant
Participant

Post by Duper »

JZ wrote:Nice job, I have only fished that lake once in the south end, we stayed at tumble home lodge. Doing a boat in camping trip there is on my to do list. In the couple days we were there we got some decent bass but could only get a couple of small walleye which were both just below the slot nice to see there are some bigger ones in there. Didn't even know there was a launch at that of the lake. Is it decent? Any parking?

There are actually 2 launches there: one paved and one gravel. Both are in good shape. You can park off the road right around that area. There are a few places to back a trailer into as well. You will need a road access permit &/or a camping permit which you pay for on-line at: http://www.northfrontenacparklands.com/ ... &Itemid=26

Fishing has been good in that area for us. I have never actually targeted walleye on the lake but we end up catching a couple small ones every year using traditional bass lures (tubes, wacky rigs, cranks etc)