mystery tackle box

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
toned
Participant
Participant

mystery tackle box

Post by toned »

Just wondering if anyone's registered with them and what do you think?
http://mysterytacklebox.com/

I've came across them mentioned on several boards over the last few months and finally signed up (did the 3 months)...I missed July's mail out but looking forward to august
ShawnD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: mystery tackle box

Post by ShawnD »

I always thought of signing up, just haven't taken the plunge..
They are a few other companies out there doing this. I wonder which one is the "best"
President of the Ottawa Valley South Bassmasters
http://www.ottawabassmasters.com/
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

I know someone who got it as a gift. He said he gets one good lure and than a few test packs of soft plastics. He says for the money you spend, you get pretty good tackle but the downside it you do not get to pick what you want.

When it comes to tackle, I would leave out the mystery. I know what I want and like and I would just rather grab that than see what comes in every month.
Duper
Participant
Participant

Post by Duper »

My wife got me a 6 month subscription for Christmas 2012. Pretty cool concept: you pretty much get one hard bait and a few sample packs of plastics in each box. Every now and then you will get some hooks and/or weights. All useful stuff and with each lure you get you also get a link to a website that shows the lure in action. The one cool thing I got was basically a drop-shot box which came with drop-shot weights and hooks as well as a couple different types of drop-shot baits included a package of handpoured baits. I had never drop-shotted at that point but after using these and having success it is now one of my main techniques of fishing for bass. The $20US+tax price tag per box seems about the value of what you get, I really don't believe you are getting a deal at that price but it does makes you want to get your moneys worth and try what they give you and there are good baits but after 6 months I had enough plastics accumulated to last me a couple of years. I also received crankbaits, senkos, frogs, crayfish, etc. Good brands too. (Strike King, Live-target, Trigger X, River2Sea)
OutdoorActionOntario
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant
Location: Ottawa Region, Georgian Bay region, Kawartha Lakes Region

Post by OutdoorActionOntario »

My sister signed me up for this just as a nice thing to do (what a great Sister, eh?)

I am supposed to be receiving my first month's shipment any time now (was sent July 10th)

Once I recieve it I will post back on here about the contents and my first impression.

One thing I like about it, is that they tend to send a lot of product I simply haven't seen on Canadian shelves.

Second, if they send plastics, they also send the terminal tackle for the technique for that bait, and I like this idea because I think it would get a lot of recreational anglers to think outside of their boxes and to try something new.

Last, it is just fun to get tackle in the mail, whether it be Mystery Tackle Box or a bass pro order or anything else. I can't think of anything better, other than money, to receive through the mail.

I will report back once I get my mystery box for July. Until then, Tight Lines everyone.
OutdoorActionOntario - Ottawa ON
River Monster
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by River Monster »

I like the concept, but i don't ever see my self subscribing. I'm pretty picky when it comes to my lure color selection

I think it would make a great gift to kid or someone just starting off
- Rick Ozga
cprince
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by cprince »

Cheese of the month clubs have never been my thing. Like River Monster said; I'm picky. Chance are I would get stuff I would never use and it would end up at the bottom of a box.

I suppose if you are a have it all kind of person, it would be fun to see if you get something new.

Craig
xped
Participant
Participant

Post by xped »

Part of the the fun is picking out tackle! I leave the mystery to my kids when they buy me tackle on my birthday!

Neat concept...but after awhile i could imagine having a bunch of useless lures that never get wet. I do like watching Flukemaster's YouTube channel where he attempts to catch a fish on each of the items in the box.
Out4trout
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Out4trout »

Rather than join a club like this... I ought to start one!!
I have too many unused lures as it is... don't need more. :)
Bis4ben
Participant
Participant

Post by Bis4ben »

I signed up for the three months. Discount code "GET499" got me my first box for $4.99. My total for three months is $34 odd dollars, that includes the shipping. My first box came yesterday. Personally i was a little disappointed with the lure. It was a river-2-sea "s-waver" ... but maybe it'll prove me wrong. The sample packs of plastics are nice - it's a good way to try a couple new things without investing in the entire package. In any event, if the next two boxes aren't an improvement i will not be continuing with Mystery tackle box.

My Contents for July,
- river-2-sea s-waver ... $14 value.
- Bio spawn worms
- some more worms - different make
- plastic crayfish bait ... i've never used, looking forward to
- a football jig with an interesting rattle on it !
- and a sample scent package.
Brian
Participant
Participant

Post by Brian »

I had never heard of this before and found it quite interesting, so I signed up for the 3 month deal as well. I'll see how it pans out. I did it more out of curiosity than anything else. And perhaps they will send me something new to try that I haven't tried before. Might just learn something. If nothing else it gives me something different to try when the go-to-lures aren't producing.

In researching this a bit after reading about it here, I found another competitor called Tackle Grab. Price is the same, free shipping to Canada, the same sort of deal but with a bit of a twist as they send you stuff more suited to your personal type of fishing (I guess you answer some questions or something - not sure, I didn't sign up). In reviews the two come out pretty close. Maybe I'll give it a try for a month just so I can compare.
- Brian
toned
Participant
Participant

Post by toned »

If you end up trying it Brian, let me know how you like it

I did the 3 month mystery box too...looking forward to it next month
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by TheMaverick »

To those that might be interested, you get a good idea of the concept and its contents on Youtube.
There’s a ton of vids in regards to the Mystery Tackle Box…They’ve been showing up in my subscriptions box for over a year now.
If fishin ain't your mission, then you can kiss my Bass!
BassHunterOttawa
Participant
Participant

Post by BassHunterOttawa »

Glad you asked because I just learned about them today and I was thinking about it. They ship the 10th, but it must take a while to get to Canada?

Definitely going to look into it for next year.
Bis4ben
Participant
Participant

Post by Bis4ben »

Never heard of the "tackle Grab". let us know if you end up trying, i'd be curious.

In terms of delivery for the mystery tackle box ... they ship on the 10th of every month - I got mine on the 21st.