Rain suits

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
U.L.
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Rain suits

Post by U.L. »

Gi'day gents. I am thinking of buying a new rain suit. I have been looking at the new Shimano Dryfender 3t and the Viking line of suits. I figure the best way to find out about suits is to go to the guys that are wearing them. So I ask you, what suits are you wearing and what do you think of them? Thanks in advance for your help.

Cheers
U.L.
If I ain't fishing, I ain't breathing
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: Rain suits

Post by lape0019 »

U.L,

I went through a few cheap rain suits before I got my Bass Pro Shops 100moh goretex suit. I was tired if feeling soaked even though the rain wasn't getting through the suits I was wearing. I took the advice of some of the guys here and spent some pretty good money on the 100mph (with a 25% off coupon) and haven't looked back since.

The BPS pro qualifier setup gets good reviews as well.

From what I have heard from some other guys is that the Shimano suit you are looking at is pretty sweet as well but I don't have any experience with it...

All I can say is treat it as an investment and spend as much as you can/are comfortable doing no matter what brand you plan on going with.

Adam
Jason Daoust
Participant
Participant

Post by Jason Daoust »

I second the BPS 100MPH Suit it's well worth the money.
Of all the liars in the world fishermen are the most trustworthy!
scuro
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scuro »

Gortex stlll feels damp which is a real bummer on cold rainy days when you want to feel warm. We went traditional with wetskins stormfront suits. My wife and I are often called the bananas but we are always the last ones back with heavy rainfalls. The added bonus is the suit doesn't have to be dried and possibly still be wet in places on the next day.
...anything to bend the rod
LeGrand
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by LeGrand »

Tried a few cheat ones. I and the wife presently have a set from SAIL's bins special, and are very satisfied.
ShawnD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by ShawnD »

I'm with the BPS 100PMH suit, went fishing in the pouring rain one time, pouring to the point you can hear yourself think and I was dry when I jumped out of the suit and into the pick up truck.
President of the Ottawa Valley South Bassmasters
http://www.ottawabassmasters.com/
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by TheMaverick »

U.L.

If considering the BPS, and depending on size, Simon has one up for grabs at a very affordable price.

http://www.renegadebass.com/messageboar ... f=2&t=2181
If fishin ain't your mission, then you can kiss my Bass!
U.L.
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by U.L. »

Well gentlemen thank you very much for your input. You have certainly given me alternatives to mull over. It is a major investment. You need to be comfortable on those miserable days. I also like to use them in the late fall with layers under them. They act as a good wind break. Anyways thanks again and happy fishing.

Cheers
U.L.

If I ain't fishing I ain't breathing
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

The only part of my body that really ever felt damp in the 100MPH suit was one of the knees. I knelt down on it and I guess pushed more moisture through the goretex.

In my experience, you feel way dryer with goretex than any other material I have tried (Traditional, Frogg Toggs, Nylone coated etc...).

As for fall fishing, I use mine all of the time because it is a great wind breaker. I have layered underneath but the coat portion also has an insert you can buy so it is like a winter jacket. I just have yet to buy the insert and just wear a few extra layers up top in cold weather. Last year was my first year with this suit and I was very impressed with it.
Last edited by lape0019 on Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Butch420
Participant
Participant

Post by Butch420 »

Wow,I kinda surprised nobody has recommended the frabill rain suits. I've had mine for 3 yrs now and can say its well worth the money, but like the BPS suit not cheap.
cgates
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by cgates »

Also check out Frog Togs
AZx
Participant
Participant

Post by AZx »

I love my BPS Pro Qualifier suit.
zeke13
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by zeke13 »

I was also told "Your rainsuit is really an investment .. it doesn't matter if your boat is filled with NRXs, if you're too wet and cold to focus and/or feel the fish, it doesn't really matter". Of course, I was one the other side of this a couple of seasons ago so at the beginning of last season, I purchased a Shimano Dryfender from Ed at Paddletales. I wore it all last season and I fished well into late November/early December and was warm and dry all year. The suit breathes extremely well so wearing it all year is only a matter of layering underneath. I've heard very good things about the BPS 100 mph suit as well .. in the end for me it came down to availability.
U.L.
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by U.L. »

First of all thanks again for your insight lads. Much appreciated. I don't mind making the investment as long as the product is worth it. Definitly can't concentrate on the task at hand if cold and wet. Butch, which model of suit do you have. Frabill is a consideration. Zeke, glad to hear about the Dryfender as that was one of my options. This info from everyone is making my decision easier for sure. Everyone enjoy opening day and above all be safe on the water.

Cheers
U.L.

If I ain't fishing I ain't breathing.
Butch420
Participant
Participant

Post by Butch420 »

FXE, but as I said its a few yrs old now so they have a few new models out too. Good luck choosing lol