Eccolands Park and Walleye fishing?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
kliven
Participant
Participant

Eccolands Park and Walleye fishing?

Post by kliven »

Hey everyone,

I'm new to this forum, but from what I see, the community seems really friendly!

Normally, I fish for largemouth at Constance Lake, but today, I wanted to try walleye fishing at Eccolands Park. The water was really murky, and I didn't get any bites. I was using a 1/4oz jig + grub, and a makeshift 3 way rig with a trailing jerkbait.

I heard that Eccolands was a good place for small mouth and walleye, but is it usually that murky? Do walleye and smallmouth dislike the murky water?

I'd really appreciate any tips on how to fish for walleye!

Thanks,
Kevin

I also had a ~6 pound muskie jump out of the water for my lure but I set the hook to early and missed it =(
CyrusG
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Eccolands Park and Walleye fishing?

Post by CyrusG »

Welcome aboard! I've never had much luck with the walleye in that stretch but I've heard of others doing well, there's lots of musky in there
Cy
Lvace
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Lvace »

The problem with that stretch is all the wake/water ski boats there on the weekends.... It makes for some tough fishing and there is a lot of fishing pressure there as well.... If you have a boat head to Jock landing and fish up that stretch towards the y in the river and head right, I have had the best results there. There are a few good ones there but size meh
kliven
Participant
Participant

Post by kliven »

Thanks for the tips!

Ivace, I saw the Walleye pics that you posted - that must've been a great day on the water!

What kind of structure do walleye usually relate to? I've always been the bass kind of guy, and I spend all day fishing senkos in the thickest weeds. Whenever I'm in deep water, I'm frankly really lost. :P
tbone1088
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by tbone1088 »

I was a bass fisherman for the first 15 years or so of my life so I know how you feel! Walleye seem like they are from a different planet at times, but a couple tweaks to your location and presentation should put you on the right track. First thing is if your river fishing, the overwhelming majority of the walleyes will be either right on or hovering near bottom, so make sure you fish where the fish are! Second is you have to slow down... usually :) I have more luck fishing with a slow steady cast retrieve than anything else I do, if that doesn't work than I will turn up the speed and see what happens. The last thing to consider is your location, walleyes in rivers like a little current to bring them food. They also have light sensitive eyes which makes them shy around shallower water, keep that in mind. If you want to get really good at walleye fishing you have to put in the work: reading articles, fishing with people better than you and putting in the FISHING time is very important as well it won't happen overnight ;)
tbone1088
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by tbone1088 »

PS if your still having trouble finding the fish, then go find a lockstation or system close by, they are walleye magnets and if you go when the sun is down or setting the fishing pressure is low so they are easier to catch... good luck
kliven
Participant
Participant

Post by kliven »

Thank you!

I've read many articles online, but I just find its hard to apply the information without good past experience. :P

So then would it be more productive to use something like a bottom bouncer in the middle of the river? The thing is, I don't have a fish finder on my canoe, so I have no way of discerning the bottom of where I'm fishing unless its shallow.

Thanks,
Kevin
The Don
Participant
Participant

Post by The Don »

They are there, I took my dad out last Thursday , and he got his PB Walleye.....Chartreuse plugs...Were we actually trolling for Musky when we got slammed by this guy....If your heading there this week I'm pretty sure they are lowering the water today as well taking out the dock..for the winter....As for the old man ..he's 91 yrs old...Almost as old as the fish...LOL...

Good luck
Attachments
Rideau Walleye
Rideau Walleye
IMG-20141010-00191.jpg (756.19 KiB) Viewed 3648 times
daveh_cdn
Participant
Participant

Post by daveh_cdn »

crap that's a huge walleye.
SalvelinusFontinalis
Participant
Participant

Post by SalvelinusFontinalis »

Great Walleye! I know where that photo was taken! Very nice catch! And 91 years old? Wow! Good for him! :)