Shallow Pike

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
CyrusG
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Shallow Pike

Post by CyrusG »

I was looking for some new shore spots along the Ottawa river, once i found a patch of weeds it was game on!

Haven't found the big ones yet this year but the small ones still put up a fight :D
Cy
Marko
Participant
Participant

Re: Shallow Pike

Post by Marko »

Nice fish man.
The fact that you got them shore fishing makes it even sweeter
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

Nice looking pike for shore fishing. Are you by chance bringing these home to eat?

Because if not, I would like to make a suggestion on your handling of the fish. Pike are extremely slimey and that barrier is easily removed when left on dirt or rocks outside of the water for a pitcure. I have heard (and anybody else correct me if I am wrong) that the best way to ensure that you do not remove this slime (other than not allowing them to touch anything) should you have to place the pike on something to remove the hook is to bring a towel and wet it before placing the fish on it. The water in the towel is supposed to help the fish retain their slime. This is important to pike and musky because the slime actually helps them prevent infection.

Not trying to put a damper on your post as they truly are nice fish, just trying to inform.

Wish you the best of luck for the rest of the season.

Adam
azabache
Participant
Participant

Post by azabache »

Nice Pike!

Like your pictures & posts, especially as we fish from shore too... :D
Fish On !

Azabache & Junior.
GuinnessGuy
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by GuinnessGuy »

Nice pike! Looks like you had a great deal of success.

And to Adam: Thanks for the tip. I had never heard of that, but will start carrying a towel in the boat.

GuinnessGuy
CyrusG
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by CyrusG »

Thanks for the tip! I almost always unhook my fish in the water using pliers, i caught a bunch more that day all around that size but wanted to take a few to shore for a better pic. You won't see me doing that if i caught a giant but the Ottawa river is full of 18-25 inch pike :D
Cy
ShawnD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by ShawnD »

Great looking Pike, Try setting up your camera on a tripod, that way the angle is already setup and you'll be included in the picture!
The fish won't touch the ground, you'll have a nice picture and everyone's a winner ;)

Keep at er!
President of the Ottawa Valley South Bassmasters
http://www.ottawabassmasters.com/
TheDon
Participant
Participant

Post by TheDon »

Nice fish! The best way to get a pic if you're by yourself is to keep them in a net and take a pic in it. Live and learn, everyone makes mistakes :D . If you're releasing them it's definitely best to keep the mortality rate as low as possible.