New Beginnings!

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Bassassins
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

New Beginnings!

Post by Bassassins »

Living so close to Petrie now I knew we needed to have something on the water at the island. I had an old 14ft HARBERCRAFT aluminum boat that belonged to my grandfather brought up to the city for me to work on. It hadn't seen the water in almost 20 years so once we knew it floated I went to work on a plan to make it ours.

NOW I will warn you all that this is FAR from a pro job on modifying this boat and my own plan after lots of reading. So everything I have done was from my own head and I can’t say that it will work for everyone BUT I can say that after a few days on the water we could not be happier – blown away really!
After lots of reading I had seen many different upgrades done to a tin boat – I felt that a lot of the things done where a little overkill and added unnecessary weight by complicating the issue. Why not let the natural frameworks of the boat do all the work for you? Keep it simple?

I started by sanding the old paint off the boat and the trailer – I read aluminum can be hard to paint so I followed some steps that would allow the paint to last longer but without a professional paint job I know it won’t last forever. I sanded, washed with soap and water and scrubbed with vinegar… all before I applied the primer.

Once the primer had dried I applied professional high performance Tremclad – two coats were needed on all surfaces outside, inside and the trainer. Once that was all done I was able to add a clear coat for shine before the decals were put on.

NOW to turn this bad boy into a bass boat!!! I had read so much about adding compartments by building framework etc., etc. – I thought to myself WHY not let the benches in the front do all the work for that? One big compartment will allow us to add a live well, maximizes storage and eliminates the added weight of the “structural” wood. So I pulled out a piece of drywall as its sheets are the same size as the plywood sheets but MUCH easier to cut.

I took my measurements and went to work laying out a template with the drywall.

Once the drywall template was created I cut it apart and used the pieces to draw out my plywood and cut my pieces. I screwed in a couple of pieces of 2X8 underneath for the added support under the doors – I felt that this made the flex point of the bigger door much smaller and ensured that the smaller door wouldn't fall through if stepped on.

With the pieces cut I went to work carpeting them using a staple gun before attaching the finished pieces to the boat – I used indoor outdoor carpet with a low pill to avoid hooks continuously getting caught when laid down.

Once all the pieces were carpeted I used self tapping screws to attach the deck to the inside of the boat. The big compartment I secured with a 24inch hinge and I used two smaller ones for the front.

Final touches were a couple of handles – I grabbed some flat rope, doubled it over and attached two smaller screws from the inside of the door – this way there was no trip hazard. Two small closures were needed for the big door as it kicked once the hinge was added and didn't stay flush – all good now!

This project was less than $300 to complete and with the addition of a few more toys – decals, Hummingbird fish finder, 55lb Minn Kota trolling motor and a 15hp Johnston – we are set! As I said before my first shot at one of these and once we were on the water I couldn't be happier with how she turned out.

SOOO NOW that the project boat is complete our fishing has moved to a new level – you never know where you will see us next… BASSASSINS BABY!!!

Tight Lines all… hope this mod gets your creative juices flowing – life is a lot more fun outside the box!

See you on the water.

Smooth
http://www.facebook.com/TheBassassins
Field Staff - FISHBUM Outfitters, Angler's Choice, Streamside
#ExistToFishCanada #LiveYourAdventure
Troutskiii
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: New Beginnings!

Post by Troutskiii »

Slick design it looks great lads.... I'll use this as inspiration to get my 14ft tinner done, didn't get to it last summer hopefully I can get er done this summer
Yannick Loranger
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Yannick Loranger »

Nice work guys! I'll take a seat on that boat anytime.
Yannick Loranger
Owner and Head Guide
Ottawa River Guided Fishing
http://www.OttawaRiverFishing.ca
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

Awesome write up and great looking mods!
Mick
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Mick »

nice work!!
gonefishin
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by gonefishin »

Great report. Looks great and it must have been satisfying to see all the hard work come together once you put it in the water.
Grizzly Grub
Participant
Participant

Post by Grizzly Grub »

Nice work! Love to see an old boat get tricked out like that. Just a month ago I did the same thing to a 60's era 14' Princecraft Springbok. It's a great idea to use drywall for templates, wish I thought of that! I was just oversizing my plywood slightly and then dry-fitting it constantly until I was happy with the fit...believe me, it was a boatload of dry-fitting! (pun intended).
My front casting deck is much smaller, I needed to leave enough room for the better half's festival chair so she can read her books while I fish my heart out. Problem now is I've have all that nice new carpet in there, its going to force me to sand/repaint the rest of the interior (I know,... I should've done that first). Then once that's done, the trailer will be an eyesore in comparison, so I'll have to fix it up too!! It never ends!
Looking forward to getting lots of use out of the new design, and am sure will think of other improvements for next year...battery storage, maybe fuel tank storage, etc, etc...oh, most importantly, I've yet to get the all important cup holders installed.
Good luck to all you future mod 'ers, it's a fun project.

Last edited by Grizzly Grub on Sat Jun 13, 2015 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
manpatches
Participant
Participant

Post by manpatches »

awesome boat i love it
Gord
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Post by Gord »

Nice work dudes!! :D :)
I'm a goin' fishin', mama's goin' fishin' and my baby's goin fishin' too.

.......Taj Mahal.... "Fishin' Blues"
Fee
Participant
Participant

Post by Fee »

Smooth,

Great work. Also, what software and filter did you use to produce the last picture?

...jm
Lvace
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Lvace »

Really nice job on the boat!!!!!! :text-datsphatyo:
Fishoholic
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Fishoholic »

That's a fine lookin boat. Good work!
StarTzar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by StarTzar »

Excellent work. Boat looks fantastic. It is a very good beginning.
We all start somewhere. Here is my humble beginning .... a long long time ago

BAA - 2016 Team 18 (10 shy of 28)
Renegade Bass - 2013 Team 67 - 2014 Team 28 - 2015 Team 51
BAA (Great organization) 2011 and 2012 Team 7
Bassassins
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Bassassins »

Thanks guys - so happy that you liked it!

Grizzly - something I didn't think of was the cup holder actually... something I need to work on next :) keep spilling my energy drinks and Gatorade when things get exciting!
http://www.facebook.com/TheBassassins
Field Staff - FISHBUM Outfitters, Angler's Choice, Streamside
#ExistToFishCanada #LiveYourAdventure
Fishoholic
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Fishoholic »

Hey startzar that looks almost identical to my "trout tanker". Perfect cuz I can throw it in the bed of the 4x4 and get into any backwoods lake you can get a small truck into. Don't boat and drink........unless there are cup holders hahaha.