Lac Ogascanan

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
manpatches
Participant
Participant

Lac Ogascanan

Post by manpatches »

While at the out doors show this year I can across this fishing camp Lac Ogascanan it seemed really impressive to me! has anyone ever been there before? any tips?
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: Lac Ogascanan

Post by smitty55 »

I have some friends who have gone up there a fair bit and they have always had good things to say about it. Always caught lots of Greys and Pickerel. The owners are great and very helpful. The Maniwaki Rd can sometimes be an adventure depending on time of year. Last year they went to Alwaki Lodge, my favorite place up in the Kipawa watershed. It's a 14 mile boat ride from the paved launch in Kipawa.
Unfortunately it looks like big dollars will win out and there will be a very controversial rare earth mine started up that road, so the road will be rebuilt to allow tankers full of very toxic chemicals travel into that pristine wilderness area. A real shame. Very scary stuff. Google it, you won't believe it that something of this nature could actually be allowed. Here's a link. https://www.google.ca/#q=kipawa+rare+earth+mine

The best way IMO to get some real good info is to got to http://kipawa.net/index.php?sid=81275fc ... 364cfcebe9 and do a search for Lake Ogascanan. For sure there are reports from there every summer with lots of pics and videos along with stories of their week long adventures at Lake O. It's amazing how far so many Americans travel every year, sometimes twice, to enjoy Kipawa's beauty.

Good luck with your trip. Here's my tip. I've been up to Kipawa region lots and the best times we had were in the late July/August long weekend time frame. The fishing is still real good, thermocline is well set up, the water is nice for swimming, blueberries are ripe, and best of all the skitters and blackflies are done. You can be anchored on a nice shoal for the dusk fish in your shorts and sandals. :) Still deerflies, but a quick boot in the boat leaving shore usually loses them. All those factors can add up to a better vacation experience I've found. Regardless, you can't go wrong going up to that area anytime. It's special, as you will find out if you go.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
tr21chris
Participant
Participant

Post by tr21chris »

Funny you ask...I just got home today from a 4 day trip to Ogascanane lodge. The ice just went off on May 10th, the water is about 2 feet high and things are about 2-3 weeks behind right now. The Walleye fishing was very good, we caught Sauger and Blue Walleye as well, and some nice Northerns...only one Lake Trout but we really didn't try for them. The road is pretty good, 4x4 for sure and you can tow a small boat in but it will take you some more time. We were about 2hrs drive in from Temiskaming, nice country...saw a bear..a moose...lots of fresh moose sign. The Mullens are great folks, look after you very well and the cabins are nice. The rental boats run well and are roomy as well. They will put you on the fish and they aren't hard to catch...jigs with salted minnows/leeches/worms worked for us as well as trolling a smithwick rattling rogue in gold/black...good luck if you go, its a nice destination with lots of fish to catch!
Hank Jr
Participant
Participant

Post by Hank Jr »

6 of us made the trip years back it was our first trip to Canada . The owners Brad and Ginny were great made us feel welcome . We all caught pike and lots of Walleye some of us caught PB Walleye over 30" . The only draw back for us was the last part of the drive the road was pretty bad and we were all pulling boats . We still see Brad and Ginny at the sportsman shows still as friendly and still remember us . They have newer cabins now near the top of the lake where we caught most of our fish . You should have a good trip