Does anyone else see something wrong with this? (MNR regs)

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
FishAllDayMakeUpLies
Participant
Participant

Does anyone else see something wrong with this? (MNR regs)

Post by FishAllDayMakeUpLies »

This has been something that has bothered me ever since I read it. Basically you are deemed as having a sports fishing licence by the MNR in Ontario if you have a handicapped parking permit for Ontario, or are blind and have an ID card from the CNIB, or are not mentally/physically capable to fish and have someone watching over you who has some sort of paperwork (I forget what it is). Those are the 4 situations where the MNR automatically deems you as having a fishing licence. It's such a narrow, I would say discriminatory policy. Here is the link to the MNR website section that list the criteria I feel is discriminatory: http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/en/Business/Le ... 01012.html

I'm not sure if anyone agrees after reading the MNR page but why wouldn't they include people who are on ODSP (Ontario Disability Support Program) as long as they carry a current I don't know what it's called but it's a sort of recap they send you in the mail proving they've put funds into your account etc, and it's attached to a dental card, and drug card. It's on very difficult to forge Ontario Government paper, and proves you are just as, or more disabled than anyone in the MNR's 4 criteria.

Also what if you were receiving disability from CPP. I'm not sure what the paperwork they send you is like but why isn't that enough to be deemed as having a licence. I don't mean to be rude but why do people with those 4 criteria get rights other, very disabled people don't get.

Most people on ODSP don't drive because they can't afford a car, and aren't allowed to have assets, and scrape by on nothing. Someone with a parking permit gets free fishing? I don't, but they have money to drive, or have someone drive them around? I could easily get a handicapped parking permit, if I lie to my doctor and pretend I have a car, or need one to have someone drive me around. I can walk enough to get through a parking lot, just not enough to get much further, I don't really have to have one, and there are lots of other people who are disabled who don't have mobility problems who have cancer, or lupus, MS etc, who don't need parking permits.

I know I sound like a spoiled brat, but It's been something that's bothered me for a couple years and I've wrote the MNR and got no response even when I was very polite and much more eloquent with my wording than I have been in this post. Maybe there are others who are disabled and don't meet the criteria who think it's ridiculous. I don't know though. Maybe I'm not thinking logically who knows. lol.

Here is the link again: http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/en/Business/Le ... 01012.html

I'd love to hear if anyone else agrees or disagrees. I'd like this MNR Rule to change to include all, or don't include anyone. I know I won't be buying a fishing licence if others don't need to. I don't think any charges would stand up in court as long as I didn't keep any fish, or stuck to the "deemed fishing licence" policy rules.

I'm done my bitching.

Sorry lol.
StarTzar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: Does anyone else see something wrong with this? (MNR reg

Post by StarTzar »

Too wordy for me.
BAA - 2016 Team 18 (10 shy of 28)
Renegade Bass - 2013 Team 67 - 2014 Team 28 - 2015 Team 51
BAA (Great organization) 2011 and 2012 Team 7
FishAllDayMakeUpLies
Participant
Participant

Post by FishAllDayMakeUpLies »

Lol, I tend to overdo it on the explanations. Sorry about that.
StarTzar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by StarTzar »

FishAllDayMakeUpLies wrote:Lol, I tend to overdo it on the explanations. Sorry about that.
You don't need to be sorry. I'm the one liner type. 8)
I'm sure that someone will chime in with some explanation. :|
I know who but will refrain from mentioning names. :wink:
StarTzar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by StarTzar »

I read the whole thing and I'm still not sure if I agree or not.
I don't see why you need a card to prove that you are disabled.
If you are disabled, then I would not bother with getting a fishing license.
If you get arrested, I would let the system decide.
MUSKY HUNTER
Participant
Participant

Post by MUSKY HUNTER »

A blind man fishing i guess you wouldnt have to worry about him being in your spots....... lol.....

what is so discriminatory about these guidelines??
almontefisher
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by almontefisher »

I say everyone should pay if they want to fish. Even those 65 year old grumpy guys who constantly complain about everything and how they wish it was like the good ole days. Just sayin!!

What is $30/year?? Let me work it out...about $2.50/month. stop drinking timmies two times a day or .08 cents a day or .003 per hour. Seems like it would fit into anyones budget with CPP OAS ODSP etc etc. Again it is all in your priorities if you ask me. Why is it that almost every person on Welfare has a bigger tv than me, drinks more timmies than me, talks on their phone more than me and can still afford a case a beer a week??? I am all for having ODSP etc for people but I do get a bit frustrated when I hear them complain about the lack of money they get. You can still work on ODSP etc it just claws back the amount you get for free. I am in the financial sector and I help many people on ODSP figure ways out of making sure they do not get claw backs due to life insurance payments etc..set up trusts like Hanson Trusts so they dont get dinged etc so dont feel I am against ODSP etc. I am all for it but we do not owe the world to you unless you are on it and a Vet of the wars..then I owe you my life, my house, my freedom etc. Again it is affordable enjoyment for anyone but you just need to re set priorities.

Sorry to get off track of the origianl post but......

*******( THE VIEWS EXPRESSED IN THIS POST IS THAT OF THE POSTERS AND IS IN NO WAY THE IDEALS OF THIS BOARD OR MEMBERS OR OWNERS IN GENERAL..ALSO NOTE THESE ARE MY OBSERVATIONS OF LIVING IN A TOWN WHERE 40% ARE ON WELFARE AND ONLY BECAUSE THEY ARE MILKING THE SYSTEM.)******* When you can make as much if not more on Welfare then a min paying job I fully understand why people don't want to get off welfare!

Now onto the next thread!
Last edited by almontefisher on Tue May 20, 2014 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fishing isn't a matter of life and death....
It's much more important.

ORWL
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

almontefisher wrote:I say everyone should pay if they want to fish. Even those 65 year old grumpy guys who constantly complain about everything and how they wish it was like the good ole days. Just sayin!!

What is $30/year?? Let me work it out...about $2.50/day - stop drinking timmies two times a day or .10cents an hour or .001cents per minute. Seems like it would fit into anyones budget with CPP OAS ODSP etc etc. Again it is all in your priorities if you ask me. Why is it that almost every person on Welfare has a bigger tv than me, drinks more timmies than me, talks on their phone more than me and can still afford a case a beer a week??? I am all for having ODSP etc for people but I do get a bit frustrated when I hear them complain about the lack of money they get. You can still work on ODSP etc it just claws back the amount you get for free. I am in the financial sector and I help many people on ODSP figure ways out of making sure they do not get claw backs due to life insurance payments etc..set up trusts like Hanson Trusts so they dont get dinged etc so dont feel I am against ODSP etc. I am all for it but we do not owe the world to you unless you are on it and a Vet of the wars..then I owe you my life, my house, my freedom etc. Again it is affordable enjoyment for anyone but you just need to re set priorities.

Sorry to get off track of the origianl post but......

*******( THE VIEWS EXPRESSED IN THIS POST IS THAT OF THE POSTERS AND IS IN NO WAY THE IDEALS OF THIS BOARD OR MEMBERS OR OWNERS IN GENERAL..ALSO NOTE THESE ARE MY OBSERVATIONS OF LIVING IN A TOWN WHERE 40% ARE ON WELFARE AND ONLY BECAUSE THEY ARE MILKING THE SYSTEM.)******* When you can make as much if not more on Welfare then a min paying job I fully understand why people don't want to get off welfare!

Now onto the next thread!

Almonte fisher I won't get you to help me financially :) :) :) 30.00/ year is a little less than .10 cents a day!!!! Just kidding Bud.
When hell freezes over, I'll be there icefishing!!!

If you can't stand behind our troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

Experience is that marvellous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again
almontefisher
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by almontefisher »

Ya end of day frustration dan. I think I fixed the math.
Fishing isn't a matter of life and death....
It's much more important.

ORWL
troutnmuskiehunter
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by troutnmuskiehunter »

StarTzar wrote:Too wordy for me.
I'm the same as this old fart~~~show me pictures and keep it short and sweet....can't be bothered with some of the books that members write on this forum... :lol: 8)
StarTzar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by StarTzar »

troutnmuskiehunter wrote:
StarTzar wrote:Too wordy for me.
I'm the same as this old fart~~~show me pictures and keep it short and sweet....can't be bothered with some of the books that members write on this forum... :lol: 8)
:laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
Here is a short and sweet one.

Super
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Super »

I think it is just like many other government programs; the original idea is good but then once it is in place, it is not what it was set out to be.
Just like "Grey Power" got many free perks for people over 65 and now the government realizes that half the population will be over 65 soon so they are taking the perks away, ie the free fishing licence for people older than 65.
User pay is always the best policy, the government just has to figure out how to make it not too complicated to pay.
David
campnfish
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by campnfish »

Either have a reduced fee license for the disabled or allow them to fish under another adults license, like children do.

IF you are in the act of fishing you need to have some sort of credentials on you that permit you to fish. I don't see the correlation between someone with a bum knee getting to fish for free, without a license. Loophole-ing the system and trying to get qualified as disabled for the 'perks' isn't what the ODSP system was designed for. Sadly, it is abused as the poster from Almonte pointed out.

I do however, support a different system for those who are physically or mentally incapacitated - ie: you need help with daily living, are confined to a wheelchair or developmentally delayed. Still need a license of some sort, maybe without a fee or a very nominal one.
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scarkner »

I think ODSP is too broad to be used in the context indicated whereas getting a disability permit shows a certain level of "issues". Sure you can lie to the doctor to get a disability car permit, but then you are already breaking the law so why not just fish without a license anyway!

That said, I do agree that for someone who is blind or disabled, I am not sure WHY they need a free permit in the first place. If it is so they can experience the joy of fishing once or twice... then they can either get a day permit or fish on one of the "Free fishing days" in Ontario.

I know lots of young guys who are on ODSP who really do deserve the benefits, but like any hobby, you gotta pay to play. If someone, anyone, chooses to fish then they should choose to pay the license fee.

The ONLY exception to the rule i agree with is the over 65 rule because it is very easy to enforce, very difficult to fake, and these fuzzy-old-farts have (presumeably) paid fees for years into the system already.