Report a Poacher

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
TheDon
Participant
Participant

Report a Poacher

Post by TheDon »

Hello All,

Caught an 30-40 year old Asian male poaching walleye on the Ottawa River near woodroffe last night. Called the NCC and MNR and nobody came. Took his picture and he chased after me, aggressively hitting me with his rod asking me to delete the photo (he knew he was poaching). I'll post the photo later.

Moral of the story, I waited an hour and nobody came. And for those wondering, I didn't break his rod or beat him up, I just wanted to get him arrested. Now that I think of it, I should have called the cops. Has anyone here successfully reported a poacher? If so, how did you go about doing it?
evan14
Participant
Participant

Re: Report a Poacher

Post by evan14 »

I called the MNR tip line, They did an investigation and called me back a week later saying thank you for the tip and that it lead to fines being imposed. I was happy.
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by TheMaverick »

These threads don’t usually end well. :?
Some members will give you the “O’l pat on the back”, others will tell you to mind your own business.
If posting his picture will bring you a sense of justice then go ahead, but frankly, I don’t see use of doing so.
(If the picture is of you getting chased down and hit by the rod, now that could be funny lolol).

A more rational approach, if you care to make it your personal agenda, would have been explaining to him his wrong doings as opposed to “try and get him arrested”.

If anything, you would have waited longer by calling the cops.
IMO they have more important things to do then deal with this crap.

Moral of my post, call the NCC/MNR, report and move on.
If fishin ain't your mission, then you can kiss my Bass!
toned
Participant
Participant

Post by toned »

I think You did the right thing

if we all 'looked the other way', the world would be a much crap place

people need to be called out on their wrong actions, if they don't, they'll keep doing it and ruin it for all of us (over-fishing, over-hunting, etc)....unfortunately the fact is, the CO's and the MNR can't be everywhere at once, and guys like this will get away with it 99.9% of the time I bet, so if you help point them in the right direction, it's up to them to take it from there...you've done all you can do

I would avoid the confrontation tho, at all costs, it's just not worth it, but I would be sure to report him with a pic or two

Tony
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

I love these threads. Next will be Bass... :lol:

Did he have Walleye on a string on the bank? if not VERY unlikely a charge would ever result never mind getting "arrested".

Why did you feel the need to mention he was Asian at all? If he was anything other than that would you have even mentioned it?

The MNR will send someone if someone is nearby and not already dealing with something. To expect them to be there in under an hour is bit of stretch I'd think.

The fella is probably on this site regularly, maybe he'd enjoy a little 15 minutes of fame.. :lol:

RJ
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

If he hit you with a rod that is assualt.

The cops would be very interested in speaking with him and likely would have laid charges.

They would also have called in the MNR also.

Then this guy would not only face fines for poaching but criminal charges for assault.
TheDon
Participant
Participant

Post by TheDon »

RJ wrote:I love these threads. Next will be Bass... :lol:

Did he have Walleye on a string on the bank? if not VERY unlikely a charge would ever result never mind getting "arrested".

Why did you feel the need to mention he was Asian at all? If he was anything other than that would you have even mentioned it?

RJ
Thanks for the reply. I mentioned he was Asian because I have been watching COPS all of my life and felt the need to give a description. He was just gearing up to go fishing, and was using a floating rapala. To my knowledge, there is nothing on the Ottawa open that would require a rapala (plus he told me he was going for walleye) Growing up near the canal, I've gotten into many arguments with fishermen about keeping out of season fish and over the limits and I used to dump out buckets when I was a young boy. In this case, I won't mention race, to prevent offending anybody.
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

TheDon wrote:
(plus he told me he was going for walleye)
At that point did you tell him season isn't open until the weekend?

RJ
TheDon
Participant
Participant

Post by TheDon »

RJ wrote:
TheDon wrote:
(plus he told me he was going for walleye)
At that point did you tell him season isn't open until the weekend?

RJ
Yes... and at that point I took pictures of him and got beaten with a 6'6 daiwa (after being told "it open april 1st"). As the maverick pointed out, I will post pictures, as they are highly entertaining.
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

So the guy never actually fished? :lol:

Wow, good times.

RJ
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by TheMaverick »

TheDon wrote: I mentioned he was Asian because I have been watching COPS all of my life .
LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLllloooooooooooooo00000000000000ooooooooooooollllllllllllllllllllllll

I'm sorry, I can no longer take this thread seriously!

Paul? Paul Blart?
If fishin ain't your mission, then you can kiss my Bass!
ShawnD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by ShawnD »

I would've done the same thing, except the part where he hit you... That would not have happen...

hE NO CARE, DAS A FIVE POUNDER!
President of the Ottawa Valley South Bassmasters
http://www.ottawabassmasters.com/
Kerrazy
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Kerrazy »

Credit to you for having the courage to confront him. After that, I would have left well enough alone. You knew a top water was not gonna get the eyes attention. So let him cast away.
What I will add is this, if he was, as you say Asian, every bit of that fish would have been consumed. They unlike us, Caucasian folks, truly make use of all fish, carp, suckers, cat fish and even pike. While I enjoy a nice feed of pickerel, and the odd bass or trout makes it to my plate, that is it, for my consumption, and only the fillets. Versus the Asian folks, that will make use of almost the entire fish.

I am not suggesting by any means, what he was doing was morally or ethically correct, but it would have been consumed, rather than hanging on a fish chain, to be released way to late, or thrown out, like so many Caucasians do.

As for posting his pics, well you can decide, but again what is really going to come of it.

Again, Kudos to you for speaking up, just that alone may make a difference, versus saying nothing at all.

Kerrazy
Kerrazy

"Everyone should believe in something. I believe I'll Go Fishing!"- Thoreau
I'd like to thank my sponsors:
Interac - Be in the Black
Jerry, my neighbour, who foolishly leaves his shed and truck open, so I can try all the latest gear!
Kerrazy
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Kerrazy »

ShawnD wrote:I would've done the same thing, except the part where he hit you... That would not have happen...

hE NO CARE, DAS A FIVE POUNDER!
Cause no one strikes a Pepsi holding, Joe Louis eatin' boy from Gatineau. ... Sorry Hull.
Kerrazy

"Everyone should believe in something. I believe I'll Go Fishing!"- Thoreau
I'd like to thank my sponsors:
Interac - Be in the Black
Jerry, my neighbour, who foolishly leaves his shed and truck open, so I can try all the latest gear!
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

Is the Rideau system not open yet for walleye?
Is it not Zone 18?