Spring is Slow to Arrive in the South Too!

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
ratsotail
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Spring is Slow to Arrive in the South Too!

Post by ratsotail »

What a crazy Spring we are having! The water is finally up to around 65F, but the fish have been slow to respond and move to the shorelines and bays with the barrage of cold fronts that continue to knock the temps down. I fished Kinkaid Lake yesterday, in southern Illinois, and had a pretty decent day, but all of the fish have not made the migration from dropoffs to shallower bays. I was, however, impressed with the tank White Crappie we caught on the day throwing Gulp minnows on the drops and deep weed lines. Here's a few pics from the day!

This lake is really beautiful and full of multiple species; from Musky to three species of Bass, to Walleye and White Bass, to a full assortment of panfish. Here is a few pics of the bluff-like terrain. There are actually rattlesnake roundups that occur in this region!
Even the Bass are still hanging deeper and we had to work hard for the small ones we caught.
Big fish on the day was a Flathead Catfish caught on a crappie jig on 2 lb. test line.
But the bonus today was catching some beautiful White Crappie. We caught only eight on the day, but the ones we caught were tanks!
Here is a better pic that I took with my buddy for perspective!
This lake has served up Crappie over 4 lbs last year and I plan on making this lake my home field advantage this year.

Tight Lines and I'm hoping Spring does arrive for you guys North of the Border soon!

ratsotail
jona38
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Spring is Slow to Arrive in the South Too!

Post by jona38 »

Nice to see someone getting out. What do you mean by rattlesnake roundups?
ShawnD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by ShawnD »

Great Report! Can't wait to get on the water here!
President of the Ottawa Valley South Bassmasters
http://www.ottawabassmasters.com/
ratsotail
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by ratsotail »

Jona,

I've never been on a rattlesnake roundup, nor do I plan on it, but I gather some think it is sport and a way to cull the snake population down here. I just thought you'd get a kick out of what some do south of the border :shock: :roll: !

Tight Lines,

ratsotail
jona38
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by jona38 »

ratsotail wrote:Jona,

I've never been on a rattlesnake roundup, nor do I plan on it, but I gather some think it is sport and a way to cull the snake population down here. I just thought you'd get a kick out of what some do south of the border :shock: :roll: !

Tight Lines,

ratsotail
Interesting, sounds like a good way to get bit by a rattlesnake. :o :o
slop
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by slop »

Nice little outing buddy, Cool to see a mixed bag of cats, bass, white and black crappie.
If Winnipeg gets a hockey team, Toronto will want one too.....