Canadian Tire Selling Cheap Knock-Offs Again

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
StarTzar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: Canadian Tire Selling Cheap Knock-Offs Again

Post by StarTzar »

smitty55 wrote:
Here's an OOD article http://www.oodmag.com/guns-and-gear/can ... pro-shops/

Cheers
And here is a comment, which I thought was excellent, that I copied off the discussion board concerning that article
Nathan Barnard • a month ago

Trying to compete with the Bass Pro shop that will be landing in the Ottawa area at some point in 2015. Anyone who knows the area will likely skip the Kemptville store and go to Paddletales in Winchester.
BAA - 2016 Team 18 (10 shy of 28)
Renegade Bass - 2013 Team 67 - 2014 Team 28 - 2015 Team 51
BAA (Great organization) 2011 and 2012 Team 7
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

Well I was at CTC today in CP. I just bought a "$200" pair of "breathable" chest waders at half price today. Made in China. Or did I buy an overpriced $100 set of waders. I guess I'll find out. One year warranty. And 2 5l jugs of full synthetic oil at 50% so that was definitely a good deal.

It's all about buyer beware, like scarkner warns. IMO China is ruining this world with cheap crap, but they actually can make a good product when they have to, or if someone is willing to pay for the quality, but that's not what most of the industries of any kind want from China et al.
And for much of society nowadays with the cost of outdoor pursuits, and most just being a casual fisherman, then buying less expensive ctc stuff is fine with them. It's like an all in one stop for many interests. Some even have food now. Go figure.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
Mike586
Participant
Participant

Post by Mike586 »

scarkner wrote:
TheMaverick wrote:X2
Same issue last year with Kamik boots and I can tell you that Kamik was very pee pee off and thanked me profusely in several emails since they didn't know Canadian Tire was doing this, but they had been getting a major black-eye from customers talking about the sudden decline in Kamik quality (which as it turned out wasn't their fault!!!).
I'd say the odds are 99.99% that Kamik was just blowing smoke where the sun doesn't shine.

Canadian Tire is still selling their boots today and the quality isn't any different than last year. Roots, Shimano, Norco, DeWalt, Terra, Roots, and hundreds of other companies sell either cheap low quality versions of their products or moved manufacturing overseas to either provide even cheaper products or maintain quality at a lower price point in order to satisfy budget retailers like Canadian Tire, Walmart, and Home Depots of the world. Its a game that's been going on as long as there's been a dollar to be made. Some are pressured into it, most just happily play along if it means profits.

Some manufacturers that are supplying low end versions of their products just aren't being honest about it. Some will lie and deny they do it, a few will outright say the product was a production run solely for the purpose of supplying budget retailers when asked, some just have confusing product lineups to disguise the fact...

...caveat emptor
StarTzar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by StarTzar »

cgates wrote:that one in the pic is it made by roots or did your friend get one by roots last season and they now dont have that kind (Roots) anymore and went with a cheaper make but still meet the same standards.... not sure i see anything wrong with the one in the image you posted... sound like sour grapes to me!!! So did you buy it or not
Is cgates going to get an answer to his question? :?
BAA - 2016 Team 18 (10 shy of 28)
Renegade Bass - 2013 Team 67 - 2014 Team 28 - 2015 Team 51
BAA (Great organization) 2011 and 2012 Team 7
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scarkner »

StarTzar wrote:
cgates wrote:that one in the pic is it made by roots or did your friend get one by roots last season and they now dont have that kind (Roots) anymore and went with a cheaper make but still meet the same standards.... not sure i see anything wrong with the one in the image you posted... sound like sour grapes to me!!! So did you buy it or not
Is cgates going to get an answer to his question? :?
I think i did answer it. The one in the picture I posted, which is what is actually in the store does not have the name Roots on it.

The product featured in the flyers and on the website (and the product my friend has) actually says "Roots" on the front and is, I assume, officially endorsed by or manufactured for Roots and would therefore meet their quality expectations. Sadly it is not being sold at CT anymore it seems.
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Was in CT today picking up a battery for the lawn tractor and swung by the life jacket department to see what the fuss was about. Found that pictured jacket on the rack with the proper tag on it. No sign of a Roots one anywhere.

Keep a Float life jackets aren't a new line to CT.

RJ
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

I worked at Canadian tire about ten years ago and can say with almost 90% certainty that the product number on that jacket will not match what was on the tag on the shelf. Most of the time, a customer will grab something to try on or take a closer look and doesn't put the product in the right spot. I beleive this is probably what has happened in this case.

Next time you are in the store, find a price checker and check the product code. It will be numbers shown as XX-XXXX-XX. If the number doesn't match what is on the tag, it is in the wrong spot, if it does match, CTC would be opening themselves up to a huge lawsuit. They would be breaking many laws if this were the case.

As for the Kamik comments, it is quite possible that Kamik was trying to build a product that could compete at a lower price point which as stated before, is what a lot of companies do.
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scarkner »

lape0019 wrote:I worked at Canadian tire about ten years ago and can say with almost 90% certainty that the product number on that jacket will not match what was on the tag on the shelf. Most of the time, a customer will grab something to try on or take a closer look and doesn't put the product in the right spot. I beleive this is probably what has happened in this case.

Next time you are in the store, find a price checker and check the product code. It will be numbers shown as XX-XXXX-XX. If the number doesn't match what is on the tag, it is in the wrong spot, if it does match, CTC would be opening themselves up to a huge lawsuit. They would be breaking many laws if this were the case.

As for the Kamik comments, it is quite possible that Kamik was trying to build a product that could compete at a lower price point which as stated before, is what a lot of companies do.
Nope on the Jacket - Perfect match, and same thing on the Kamik boots last year. If you scanned them either at the price checker or at the cash (or when the manager entered it on his computer) all came up showing the wrong brand and wrong product information.