Let's keep it simple... Let's talk perch

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
lipripper
Participant
Participant

Let's keep it simple... Let's talk perch

Post by lipripper »

Went out fishing at the local boat houses in Iroquois in hopes to catch some perch
Between using gulp grubs, and the occasional worm I Only got one little guy in the course of an hour
The rig I've been using for a while just doesn't seem to get the job done
Basically what I've been doing is probably so rookie I'm sure some folks will get a rise out of it lol
But what I do is have my sinker at the bottom with a 6" steel leader and then attach 2-3 small hooks in
A row approximately 6-8" apart

Any tips or tricks or better rig setups would be greatly appreciated so this guy can master the art of the perch lol

Thanks!
RyanW
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Let's keep it simple... Let's talk perch

Post by RyanW »

Last edited by RyanW on Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
613 Ice Fishing
On Facebook
gatekeeper
Participant
Participant

Post by gatekeeper »

Are there any people fishing west side of roadway to Dam??Used to be good place for Feed of Perch using rig you're using.
tbone1088
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by tbone1088 »

If worms arent working try maggots,they are good for perch this time of year. Also you can try icefishing gear on a slip or fixed bobber that works really well when the water is cold.
i got worms
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by i got worms »

For shallow perch (1-6 ft) I prefer a small clear float and a light jighead paired with a 2" yamaminnow. For deeper perch I'll either switch to a slip-float or just jig without the float. You may have to increase the jighead size to get a better feel without the float. You can experiment with different colours but it doesn't usually seem to matter. If they're finicky just tip your jig with a small chunk of crawler. If the perch are around, this method will fill the livewell no probs. 8)
I got 99 problems but a fish ain't one...