Kitties

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: Kitties

Post by zippyfx »

There here!

I spent an hour and half fishing of the shore this evening and caught 2 mid sized cats int eh 2-4 lbs range.

They were hitting worms but they seemed to be turning up their nose on spoiled cut bait.

I'd post pictures but I was playing with the settings on my camera and they did not turn out.
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by zippyfx »

There here!

I spent an hour and half fishing of the shore this evening and caught 2 mid sized cats int eh 2-4 lbs range.

They were hitting worms but they seemed to be turning up their nose on spoiled cut bait.

I'd post pictures but I was playing with the settings on my camera and they did not turn out.
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scarkner »

I was just thinking that it would be nice to get out on Saturday - Thanks for sharing!!!!
Duper
Participant
Participant

Post by Duper »

They're biting on the Ottawa. Caught 8 Channel Cats last night and missed just as many. Fished between 9:00-11:30pm. If I didn't have an 8am meeting at work this morning I would've stayed later. My buddy stayed until 1am and they were consistently biting the whole time, the later the hour the bigger they got. Back at'er Saturday night. Worms outfished live minnows by a considerable margin.
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scarkner »

Yeeee haw!!!

They were not biting at all last weekend, so good to hear that they are now hitting. With reports of water temperatures just shy of 10C in Britannia Bay, I was kinda hoping the action would start.
ShawnD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by ShawnD »

Guys I'd love to give this a try at my parents house this weekend.
I've never caught one, do I grab a worm and bobber and let her sit there? :| :?:
President of the Ottawa Valley South Bassmasters
http://www.ottawabassmasters.com/
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scarkner »

No bobber!

Best way on the Ottawa is to use a heavy weight at the bottom, single hook on a few inches of leader "teed" into the line about 6-12 inches above the weight. Cast it in and then take up the slack until you just feel the weight start to drag on the bottom.

Then stand your rod upright on the shore, the line should be almost tight at this point. Watch for the rod tip to move. Generally you get a bit of twitching first, then a pause, then they take it again harder at which point you need to be holding the rod and give it a good reef to sink the hook.

Cats are surprisingly hard to catch the first few times. They have very sentitive mouths and will spit the hook if they feel it. So you do have to be on your game.

I am hoping to get out either tonight or saturday night, I will PM you with details.
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by zippyfx »

I use a Carolina rig and loosen the drag.... Worms have still been out fishing cut bait for me as we'll.. Someone suggested shrimp but I've never used them. I think their metabolism is still low...

I have caught many on minnows under a bobber when it's not to deep...
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scarkner »

Still nothing at Lazy Bay, just one nibble. I hear they are biting at Shirleys, so perhaps the shallower and slower water there is helping.
Yannick Loranger
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Yannick Loranger »

I brought a client into the South Nation yesterday. Great numbers, average size was nothing special, but lots of fun nonetheless. We fished 9:30am - 2:30pm. Like Zippy says, worms are working great but we got nothing on anything else.
Yannick Loranger
Owner and Head Guide
Ottawa River Guided Fishing
http://www.OttawaRiverFishing.ca
Jongy
Participant
Participant

Post by Jongy »

Fished last weekend (Saturday, April 3, 2014) on the Nation River in Wendover by the Bridge and caught a lot of catfish, barbutts.
Super
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Super »

I use the dandelions as a signal too but yesterday I was talking to a neighbour and mentioned that the dandelions were not up yet.
Today I was at my daughter's place and was shocked to see there were lots of dandelions. Then I realized that in my neighbourhood with all the landscaping companies working there, we probably never get dandelions.
David
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by zippyfx »

Ok... Common guys let's see some pics!

a small one but I liked the picture.
Yannick Loranger
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Yannick Loranger »

Biggest we got on Thursday.

Yannick Loranger
Owner and Head Guide
Ottawa River Guided Fishing
http://www.OttawaRiverFishing.ca
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scarkner »

That's a good size. I swear it's smiling for the camera.

I gotttttta get back out. I had zero luck on Friday. but I know just a few days of sun can make all the difference.