Spring Pike and Walleye

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
FishingFreak13
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Spring Pike and Walleye

Post by FishingFreak13 »

I haven't really had much interest in fishing early season pike and walleye because I consider myself a bass fisherman and am very stubborn. But the long winter has been driving me nuts and I just want to get out on the water and fish for something that isn't a pan fish. Now I have pretty much 0 knowledge about opening season pike/walleye so am just looking for tips and where to fish (not asking for anyones secret spots) I live in Ottawa so the Ottawa and Rideau river are right there for fishing but I wouldn't have a clue on where to start. Just looking for some pointers that could help. Not confined to the Ottawa area just a starting area for me.

Thanks.
MichaelGA
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Spring Pike and Walleye

Post by MichaelGA »

This is my second year here and I'd love any pointers.
tbone1088
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by tbone1088 »

walleye don't open for about a month so you have to wait a little longer... There are plenty of good spots on both rivers to catch those fish. In the spring the most obvious spots are dams or lock stations, always good numbers of fish there. After that any place close to shore where theres a break in current is a safe bet. The water levels change fairly drastically on both systems, so each time you go out the fish might move on you, stay mobile and don't be stubborn. If your a bass fisherman then I would go with crankbaits for the walleyes and pike since you should have some confidence throwing these lures already, only thing I will say is slow down your retrieve and make it less erratic to catch walleyes. That doesn't work switch to some sort of jig and plastic/live bait combo that will catch the neutral or negative feeding fish for you. Leave a report after your first trip love to see your results.
Good luck to you and everyone on the opener
ShawnD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by ShawnD »

Great write up^
I myself find current breaks and scan over them with my humminbird, then I drop a tube and you'll get any of three species (maybe more I'm fairly new to this) Sauger, Walleye and Small mouth Bass.
President of the Ottawa Valley South Bassmasters
http://www.ottawabassmasters.com/
xped
Participant
Participant

Post by xped »

I, too, would like to know where and how to target pike/walleye over the bass.
FishingFreak13
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by FishingFreak13 »

Bump. Really interested in any tips or knowledge.