All set at Maison Kerrazy for 1st invitational Tourney.

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Kerrazy
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

All set at Maison Kerrazy for 1st invitational Tourney.

Post by Kerrazy »

I have 2 young kids, a boy 7 and a girl 5. Get along great, yet very different. My son is the shy one but an exceptionally talented musician at his young age able to play violin, guitar and piano by ear. My daughter is the brave one, of course I think it goes with the territory of being the youngest, and vying for pecking order. While my son is not keen on touching the fish, he will of course put on a brave face and do it(some days), yet my daughter scoffs at his fear and pleads to touch them.
Of course being so young, time on the water is not what they really like, it is the great snacks dad brings along with him. I learned really quick last year if I wanted to even put in any time I would have to keep them calm with great treats, something they do not get at home. Worked like magic, I also learned to only take one at a time, as the old adage rings true 3 is a crowd.
So imagine my excitement last week, as I have been glued to WFN's free preview any chance I get and the kids say dad when can we go fishing. Oh my god, I love you, you little blessings from god, you, unlike your mother, can actually speak my language.

It was the proudest moment in my life when I came home Saturday night from work, and my little girl was waiting patiently to ask if I would take her fishing. I can only see that moment being eclipsed by her marrying a nice young man with a fancy new bass boat.
So, amazingly, being exhausted I was able to snap to an incredible new level of energy I have not seen since the fall and gathered gear and we were off for a little fish, knowing it was still too early for the river near us, I was still elated she wanted to go.
And the excitement continued this morning when my son said "dad can we go fishing after school today?" "Well of course we can son, but first we should see if there is anything exciting at the tackle shop, just don't tell mom. "

So tonight we went shopping for some special pieces for each of their tackle boxes, and to see my son and daughter poor over the choices with a budget in mind and finally landing on something that they thought would get them a catch of the life time was really cool. They were very methodical in their choices not just looking for the shiny ones. Um er like dad does.
We did not get a chance to fish as a storm was working up, so we want home and sorted out our gear and over joyed with their enthusiasm, I even doled out some of my favourites to help fill their boxes just a little more.

While having dinner they were excitedly telling mom of our purchases (exnay on the purchasenay, they are young so I will have to take all the wrath on the purchases). Anyhow, in hopes to build on the excitement I proposed we have our own fishing tournament, so it was agreed. Categories are 1st fish = new lure of choice, biggest fish = new rod and reel and most fish over the season = brand new tackle box (a big one like yours Dad!).
So here's hoping to keeping the momentum going and spending some quality time with real great kids.
If anyone wishes to sponsor the event, do not hesitate.
Cheers and only 31 sleeps til opener.
Kerrazy
Kerrazy

"Everyone should believe in something. I believe I'll Go Fishing!"- Thoreau
I'd like to thank my sponsors:
Interac - Be in the Black
Jerry, my neighbour, who foolishly leaves his shed and truck open, so I can try all the latest gear!
CNs
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: All set at Maison Kerrazy for 1st invitational Tourney.

Post by CNs »

Awesome

One of the best reports yet!

Keep us informed n the tournament progress (photos would help)
Kerrazy
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Kerrazy »

Will do with pride!
Kerrazy
Kerrazy

Jerry, my neighbour, who foolishly leaves his shed and truck open, so I can try all the latest gear!
Seabass81
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Seabass81 »

nothing better then our kids taking a liking to fishing . Peter larmand hosts a kids fishing tournament at rideau ferry every april . Its a blast and all kids fish from the docks. Google his name and the info will pop up !
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by TheMaverick »

Attaboy!
As I always said, hook'em young while still influenceable and vulnerable! Wait, does that sound wrong? ;)

Here's an event you might want to add to your calendar!

http://www.renegadebass.com/en/kids.html
If fishin ain't your mission, then you can kiss my Bass!
Kerrazy
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Kerrazy »

Thanks for the heads up on the kids Tournament.

It seems I need to add yet one more category to the tournament.... Most Sportsman Like Fisherman.
During breakfast my son hauled out his and his sisters gear to view their new weapons, and of course, with big prizes in his sights, stated, "No one can use my stuff, only me!"

Oh how quickly they forget where "my stuff" came from....

So we discussed how it is great to share knowledge and technique and equipment, with fellow enthusiasts, in hopes we all learn and grow. I then told him about this Forum, and how everyone tries to help each other, and share knowledge. Without it, Dad would have a hard time taking them to some great fishing spots.

Holy cow, it is hard organizing a big tournament. Hats off to the big shows....LOL
Kerrazy
Kerrazy

smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

Great post Kerrazy. Gotta love fishing with the kids. Hopefully you could get out earlier for the Crappie run on the Rideau system once the water goes down and starts to warm up. Kids love that one. I actually got a call from my 30 year old daughter yesterday asking me about where and when I brought them when they were young, as she wants to bring my granddaughter out this spring. She still gets excited remembering the fun times we had nailing the Crappies, fishing them under the bridges and of course the great fish fries back at home. Great memories for all.

Good luck with it man. Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
Kerrazy
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Kerrazy »

Still looking for sponsors.... Kids are really pressuring me now. Smack talk, My son, bugging me to let him try one of my bait casters. Are you nuts Boy, I get mad when I get a birds nest and burn up time picking it out, now in an effort to make you a better angler than me, I am going to have to pick out your birds nests too!
Man the nerve.
We did have a go at it tonight and well, as expected, we got a doozey first cast, but it was cool as he listened to the process and we worked through it. Try again when we get some more time.

But the coolest thing ( while I was sorting out the mess), was him teaching his sister how to cast a spinning reel. He was awesome with her and had her casting in no time. Atta Boy Thomas! So I will be graduating Charlotte from a spin caster to a spinning reel. And hope to see Thomas move to a bait caster soon.
Kerrazy
Kerrazy

ShawnD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by ShawnD »

Good stuff ! :wink:
President of the Ottawa Valley South Bassmasters
http://www.ottawabassmasters.com/
Kerrazy
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Kerrazy »

Well it has officially begun!
Thomas is well on his way with capturing the first fish of the season.
He hooked onto a perch Thursday night while in the canoe, while using a perch lure. He joking said before "Dad wouldn't it be funny if I caught a perch with a perch!"
Well wouldn't you know just a minute later Shazam there it was a perch on a perch.
1st fish Perch on a perch
1st fish Perch on a perch
IMG_0625.JPG (2.09 MiB) Viewed 3792 times
So he officially took the first fish title.
Unfortunately, Charlotte has been under the weather and has not had a chance to get out yet.
Thomas was on it again yesterday as he picked off his first walleye last night shore fishing on the Ottawa. And another right after that did not make it all the way to shore. It looked like a beauty too.
Biggest Fish Contender
Biggest Fish Contender
IMG_0630.jpg (3.25 MiB) Viewed 3792 times

So far he has out fished me.
So current standings:
Thomas 1st fish
Thomas biggest fish
Thomas most fish: 2 1/2
Charlotte: unhealthy scratch
Kerrazy

Lvace
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Lvace »

Awesome job Thomas!!!!! That is one nice walleye :shock: keep em coming big guy!
Kerrazy
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Kerrazy »

Thomas says thanks!!
Kerrazy

ShawnD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by ShawnD »

Keep at it Thomas! Make your daddy cry hahahahaha :lol:
President of the Ottawa Valley South Bassmasters
http://www.ottawabassmasters.com/
Kerrazy
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Kerrazy »

Not to be out done by her big brother, Charlotte proved she was a force to be reckoned with!
First hookup was a respectable perch. Game on. [
1st fish for scout!
1st fish for scout!
image.jpg (2.9 MiB) Viewed 3640 times
And while I was sorting out her rig I had her hold my rod and retrieve my lure. What was I thinking. Wham! "Dad I have a bite!" Well set the hook! Shazam!
Her first pike.
1st pike
1st pike
image.jpg (2.56 MiB) Viewed 3640 times
A hammer handle for sure but first river gator and she was quite worried about all those teeth.
End of the fish, she left both of us boys skunked. Oh man it is not a happy night at Chez Kerrazy, for us boys.
Phrases of "Girls rule, boys drool" can be heard echoing through out east Gatineau this evening.
Kerrazy

MichaelGA
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by MichaelGA »

Ha ha - daddy better get out some secret tricks next trip or you're going to become just the chauffeur.

Great day I bet.