Best spring walleye crankbaits for the Ottawa River

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
MichaelGA
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Best spring walleye crankbaits for the Ottawa River

Post by MichaelGA »

CSI-WALLEYE wrote:
rex.stpierre wrote:rapala j13 silver and black for pike

xrap 08 blue and silver for walleye and smallies

worms always work on a chartreuse spoon for everything

Are you using the Crap shallow as a jerkbait or are you trolling it?

Took me a good few minutes to figure out you were trying to say Xrap... not Crap - had to actually look at my keyboard before it clicked.

Bold 'd the text to help others who also aren't the sharpest marshmallow in the bag!
CSI-WALLEYE
Participant
Participant

Post by CSI-WALLEYE »

CSI-WALLEYE wrote:

Sorry about that it was supposed to read xrap and the dammed auto correct "helped" me.
tbone1088
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by tbone1088 »

rapala shad raps work well, don't get the scatter raps the bills break too easily on the numerous rocks in our river. Pretty much any minnow profile crank will work, you got to figure out if they want rattles or not, and what depths they are holding at. In the spring they are usually fairly shallow so cranks will work good, if they are a little deeper add some splitshot or get a deep runner, fairly simple if your not catching them your in the wrong spot! Bright colours work very well this time of year since the water is so muddy, and don't be afraid to use 5-6 inch models, big walleyes will smash those no questions asked :)
campnfish
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by campnfish »

Here's the poor man's solution: Get some Silver #2 Lucky Strike Victor Spoons and put a nice fat worm on the end. Pinch a weight about 18" up your line and away you go. You can cast or troll with this and even switch up the worm for a minnow.

2 spinners cost you about $3 @ LeBaron. I use these and a #4 Panther Martin (silver) for the early year fishing.
rex.stpierre
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by rex.stpierre »

CSI-WALLEYE wrote:

casting and cranking in slow....30 minutes before dark and later...

I have better luck casting from kayak and slow rolling worm on buttom...I don't always have worms

I stick the 8-12 feet of water on kayak....I work that xrap super slow, and I mean slow...jerk, 1001, suspend, jerk 1001, suspend
blue carries the furthest on the color spectrum in dark water....lol, that might have zero to do with it...

im sure trolling would work great on an 8 foot flat where they feed or have finished spawning on...

its really more a question of finding the walleye than what bait you use....and yes, if you want to avoid perch, use something bigger

gold (shinny shinny) spinners slow rolled on buttom work, ive had luck with rainbow colored spoons, chartreuse spoons... and even blue glow in dark spoons....I'm obsessed by bright stuff...
This year I spent most of my money on beer, women and fishing...the rest I wasted.