Best technique for negative walleye

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
CSI-WALLEYE
Participant
Participant

Best technique for negative walleye

Post by CSI-WALLEYE »

When walleye are on a negative bite, what is your goto method to encourage the bite?

I like to use a slip bobber with a single octopus hook and a leech or crawler. I have seen walleye take more than a minute to finally take a bobber down when they are on a negative bite.
fishin mission
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: Best technique for negative walleye

Post by fishin mission »

I usually go home :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
CSI-WALLEYE
Participant
Participant

Post by CSI-WALLEYE »

fishin mission wrote:I usually go home :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

That is exactly what those sneaky devils want you to do. :twisted:

Never surrender! :mrgreen:
fishin mission
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by fishin mission »

I myself would try some drop shoting or a hook and worm a led head jig with a mister twister i usually go back to the old fashion way. If that don't work then lets hit the bass holes maybe some trolling. If that don't work then go home !! I SURRENDERRRRRRRRRRRRR!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Moosebunk
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Moosebunk »

fishin mission wrote:I usually go home :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ding ding ding!!! :lol:
MichaelGA
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by MichaelGA »

Carolina rig small plastics like hellgramites or crawfish (anything that crawls on bottom) then drag it around.
Lvace
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Lvace »

I will try my ice fishing spoons and jigs and if still nothing I will tip them with a small plastic or minnow head or tail.
Cyber
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Cyber »

TNT !!! :shock: :shock: :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
If you don't stand for something,
you'll fall for anything!!
Yannick Loranger
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Yannick Loranger »

On ice, I've had success jiggling a Jigging Rap with a minnow head a foot or so above the fish. It can take 5-10 minutes, but when they hit, they hit hard. Fun to do with a flasher. In the summertime, generally, before I do anything else, I'll speed up my troll a bit. If you can't make them eat, make them angry!

Yannick
Yannick Loranger
Owner and Head Guide
Ottawa River Guided Fishing
http://www.OttawaRiverFishing.ca
CSI-WALLEYE
Participant
Participant

Post by CSI-WALLEYE »

fishin mission wrote:I myself would try some drop shoting or a hook and worm a led head jig with a mister twister i usually go back to the old fashion way. If that don't work then lets hit the bass holes maybe some trolling. If that don't work then go home !! I SURRENDERRRRRRRRRRRRR!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Do you drop shot plastics or bait and what size and make of hook do you use? I have been wanting to try this.
fishin mission
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by fishin mission »

I usually use plastics but have been known to use live bait such as worms I use a wide gap hook look up drop shoting on google you will get ideas ,,,,,good luck
tbone1088
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by tbone1088 »

If you can try to go to a different spot and find fish that are willing to bite, otherwise your pretty much going to be playing the guessing game until you hit on something that works. I have had luck by downsizing a twister tail or whichever plastic you like, and INCREASING the jighead size... this seems counterintuitive but the larger weight keeps you closer to bottom even when ur steadily reeling, which is usually where lethargic fish are located. Reel very slowly this should net you some fish.
CSI-WALLEYE
Participant
Participant

Post by CSI-WALLEYE »

tbone1088 wrote:If you can try to go to a different spot and find fish that are willing to bite, otherwise your pretty much going to be playing the guessing game until you hit on something that works. I have had luck by downsizing a twister tail or whichever plastic you like, and INCREASING the jighead size... this seems counterintuitive but the larger weight keeps you closer to bottom even when ur steadily reeling, which is usually where lethargic fish are located. Reel very slowly this should net you some fish.
This is interesting. One time on a very tough bite, I took a jighead and threaded half a nightcrawler on it so it hung off like a twister tail. I dragged it slowly across the sandy bottom and it worked like magic.
MTF
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by MTF »

Bottom bounce a walleye rig with a small bright blade or half a crawler on a slow death hook. Yannick was also correct about changing the trolling speeds if you know where they are sometimes a dead slow troll (just fast enough to spin the blades) can be what they want.
Wishing I was fishing