Too early?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
SakranMM
Participant
Participant

Too early?

Post by SakranMM »

So like many of you, I'm waiting for ice-out on the local rivers so I can get back out there.

I've noticed a couple of spots of fast-moving water where the ice is already gone...around Manotick, also the mouth of the Jock River where it enters the Rideau, etc...

Are spots like this worth fishing in your experiences (in-season stuff only...bluegill, etc...), or is it advisable to wait a bit longer until the ice is really gone?

Any advice would be appreciated.
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: Too early?

Post by zippyfx »

I've been looking as well... Unless you can find some eddies or bays where the water is slowing down fishing may be tough.... The current I have seen in a couple of places has been supper fast.
Moosebunk
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Moosebunk »

Anything is worth a try, if you can actually get a boat in and get out some place. Wouldn't hold the breath for too much, but ya never know.
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Todd B. »

The local tribs are all running high, fast and very cold! We've had a few drownings in the past because people were too eager to get out on the water when the conditions were clearly hazardous. Once we get a good stretch of sunny, warm days and the water warms up, you can start prospecting around the mouths of creeks entering the Rideau (around Kars) If you're happy with perch, you can usually find lots at bottom lock at Long Island.

Keep it safe!
"There wouldn't have been any butt kickings if that stupid death ray had worked."
tbone1088
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by tbone1088 »

Ya your not going to catch much of anything where the river is opened up cuz the current is too fast, but the temps are going through the roof this week and rainy as well! This will melt the ice in no time, prolly another week or so and I'll be out for the big cats...
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

Looking at the long range forecast it seems that the nest 4-5 days is going to be just a teaser sadly.

Temps are going to return to +3-6 next week for the most part with lows below 0.

But I agree, we are on the cusp and it shouldn't be too long.

I pass the Rideau canal daily and wait longingly for it to open so that the carp can be caught.....can't wait!