Carp Spring outdoor show

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
CNs
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Carp Spring outdoor show

Post by CNs »

Anybody go?

I went. Promised myself 2 years ago that I would not go back. Ashamed I went. This show has steadily gone downhill. This year turned to be the worst. I won't say ever because I trhink they can do worse.

As a fishing show theere was very little fishing (vendors, manufactureres, wholesalers etc). As a flea market well things just keep getting better. Even the ubiquitous Boaters Exam's replete with cardboard Bob Izumi were not there.

Never again
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: Carp Spring outdoor show

Post by TheMaverick »

We once attended the shows.
Roaming through the crowd, looking for familiar faces, ending up with some odd hand poured plastics bags cause we felt guilty and pressured to buy something to justify making the trip.

We’ve since moved on and no longer attend any of them. Just not are thing anymore.
If fishin ain't your mission, then you can kiss my Bass!
biggs
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by biggs »

The Carp show was this weekend??
Wow!
fishin mission
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by fishin mission »

The annoying duck calls will keep me from going there ever again.
BigC
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by BigC »

I took my daughters ( 6 and 8 ) this year and we had a blast.

They fished for rainbows (I think), did some archery and pulled in the free swag at the casting pond. My pockets were overfilled with loot they picked up for fishing. Listened to a talk by Muskie guide John Anderson, ate some hotdogs and poutine. Picked up some sausage from the meat vendor. Grabbed some really cool muskie lures from both JB's and Pro Tackle. Chatted up some friends at the MCI booth. There might have been more muskie lures there than bass!

Girls beat me for these really cool braclets made from rope, oldest also scored a bow and arrow set. They also expressed an interest in getting out fishing more this year on the way home, they both said they had alot of fun. Even better they were both asleep before we got home.

Was a little stressful with them wanting to touch everything they saw, but they still lasted about 2 hours before they'd had enough.

I'll go back.
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Birdee and I popped by for a couple hours on Saturday. Busiest I have ever seen the show in any of the days I've been, the place was packed.

Not sure what you guys expect from these shows anymore to be honest. Between JB's and Stacy from Pro Tackle as well as a few other vendors I'm not sure what you'd be looking for that they didn't have. If it's some obscure high end bass bait or rod you're looking for you're foolish to think you'll find it at a show regardless.

There were a bunch of new stuff I saw this year, keep in mind this is still a hunting and fishing show.

Can't make everyone happy I guess.

RJ
Walker
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Walker »

Found that the fishing vendors are getting less every year while the hunting (guns,fur trappers and guns) is taking over.I think the two interests should be
in seperate buildings.
I thought the guns were all in the other end of fairground anyway?
As the fish say
"DROP ME A LINE"

Mark
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

Last time I went, i had to get out of there because I just couldn't stand the turkey calls anymore. But they are definitely not like they used to be. The last one I went to I actually came back with money in my pockets which was very unusual!!! I always enjoyed the seminars though.
When hell freezes over, I'll be there icefishing!!!

If you can't stand behind our troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

Experience is that marvellous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again
Tip-up
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Tip-up »

RJ wrote:
Not sure what you guys expect from these shows anymore to be honest. Between JB's and Stacy from Pro Tackle as well as a few other vendors I'm not sure what you'd be looking for that they didn't have. If it's some obscure high end bass bait or rod you're looking for you're foolish to think you'll find it at a show regardless

Ditto. Same thread pops up every year. Stay home.

I actually enjoy the carp show and always end up seeing people there that complain about it lol. Could not attend this years but its always a fun couple hours to cure the cabin fever. Always end up picking up something, not always fishing related..
JimW
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by JimW »

I went for a few hours on Saturday, definitely lots of people there. Talked to a few lodge owners, talked to a few fellow fisherman I had not seen in awhile, visited a couple charter buddies working JB's both. Picked up some trolling tackle that is hard to find in the Ottawa area that I was after. $8 to get in.... free parking .... a couple hours of entertainment .... spent a bit of money.... I was satisfied.

JimW
Jim Wilson
Fish-Hawk.Net Administrator
Smiths Falls DCI REDHAWKS Fishing Team Coach
A big thanks to all the companies that support my fishing adventures.
https://linktr.ee/jim.wilson.fishing
https://www.facebook.com/jim.wilson.fishing
banjo
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by banjo »

I went and enjoyed it.
It is what it is. There are way worse ways to spend 8$ and a couple hours.
GuinnessGuy
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by GuinnessGuy »

I go every year. It's the one show I never miss.
I've found that it has gotten better with the years, first because I got into shooting/hunting, second because the firearms became a bigger part of the show. I think it's nice that there is so much Canadian heritage packed into 2 small buildings.
What I could do without is the guy from Nemio (Gouin reservoir). For as long as I can remember, he's been there, and I've chatted him up every year. 3 years ago, I realized that, no matter where you tell him you're going fishing, his first response is to say "there's no water there this year.. You better come to Nemio and fish 50 feet in front of the lodge! That's where the fish are!". Cracks me up!
jsdx
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by jsdx »

I really like the carp show. Great with the kids, and lots of stuff to buy.

Funny, I specifically try to go to the show cause I like catching up with Ron (that guy from Nemio). He's a great host, tells great stories and will put you onto fish. I've been to Nemio a few times and he's right, you can catch fish right in front of the lodge and pretty much anywhere you go.

The low water can apply to Gouin too --- lots of variability there, one year we went to Nemio and had very low water but all that meant was the fish were stacked in the holes, easier to find but you had to be a little more careful driving the boat cause so are the rocks.

Unfortunately I missed the show this year, assumed it was later in April ... getting senile I guess.
rex.stpierre
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by rex.stpierre »

I was disappointed to see the Stittsville shooting range wasn't back there this year. I was also disappointed my 5 rapala for 20$ table wasn't there. I still managed to spend 180$. I found three sold out products in the Ottawa area since February, two rifle magazines and an auger adapter. Also bought some musky lures that just aren't available around here.
By far the best show I've been to this year.

Just miles ahead of 15$ to get in an 7$ for parking Ottawa Show... If you manage to complain about this show, just stop going to shows all together...
This year I spent most of my money on beer, women and fishing...the rest I wasted.
reefhawg
Participant
Participant

Post by reefhawg »

I went on Saturday. At times it was shoulder to shoulder. Chatted with many people about the upcoming season and picked up a few items. It's a small show so I guess my expectations are low. I enjoy it.