When will it all melt??????

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Lvace
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

When will it all melt??????

Post by Lvace »

I was wondering what the expert panel here at fish-hawk thinks this ice will melt and the soft water season will start..?? or will we be using our augers well into MAY :shock:
Last edited by Lvace on Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fishin mission
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: When will all melt??????

Post by fishin mission »

When you take the boat out just remember to bring the ice auger :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
ShawnD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by ShawnD »

Well I've been doing my share!
I pee outside every chance I get! :lol:
President of the Ottawa Valley South Bassmasters
http://www.ottawabassmasters.com/
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

I am thinking it will be early May before the snow is all gone at this rate anyway. Another 5-10 for tomorrow...

I would imagine the ice will at least be broken up by the end of April. I am hoping anyway...
Walleye'm Fishing
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant
Location: Casting..................... in your NOT SO SECRET spot.

Post by Walleye'm Fishing »

Last year I went trout fishing on opening weekend (April 27-28) in Quebec. All lakes were frozen and some guys were even ice fishing. The following weekend (May 4-5), all lakes in that area were ice free. This year, I will probably be one of those guys who are ice fishing on opening weekend. The auger will definitely be tagging along... And the following weekend, well, I'm pretty sure that I'll be ice fishing by then too... :occasion-snowman:
Walleye'm fishing, you're sleeping.
Stinger95
Participant
Participant

Post by Stinger95 »

Ive got a backcounty canoe trip planned for the first week of May. So I am hoping for an immediate heat wave. Where is global warming when you need it ?
nathan.barnard
Participant
Participant

Post by nathan.barnard »

I have a feeling even on Lake Ontario, a majority of the ice won't be out until late April. For the back lakes, it might be pushing into the first week of May.

2 years ago I got a sunburn in March. This year I'm still wearing sorrels and my heavy winter jacket.
TJO
Participant
Participant

Post by TJO »

I just ordered a new boat hope its gone by mid April.
Tom
Lvace
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Lvace »

TJO wrote:I just ordered a new boat hope its gone by mid April.
Please tell me its an ice breaker :D
tbone1088
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: When will it all melt??????

Post by tbone1088 »

It may be cold now but it doesn't take many warm days to thaw it out, a couple days of plus 8 or 10 should do it, hopefully this happens by mid-late april.
LeGrand
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by LeGrand »

Stinger95 wrote:Ive got a backcounty canoe trip planned for the first week of May. So I am hoping for an immediate heat wave. Where is global warming when you need it ?
Me and my brothers have already booked our usual yearly cottage for the weekend of May 17-18-19 at Massawippi Lake in the Eastern Township. Don't know what to expect. 2012 was nice and warm, but 2013 cold and windy.
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

tbone1088 wrote:It may be cold now but it doesn't take many warm days to thaw it out, a couple days of plus 8 or 10 should do it, hopefully this happens by mid-late april.
It takes much more than a couple of nice days to get rid of ice. Plus this year has more ice on the lakes than I can ever recall. You pretty well need your auger extension anywhere this year now. Unless we get huge amounts of rain and hot weather I'm sure it will be the latest ice out ever, especially up north where there can be 5 feet of ice. For sure I agree that the QC opener for Greys will still have ice.

Crazy year for sure. We're still making ice every day. Damn global warming.
Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
fishin mission
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by fishin mission »

Have to agree with you Smitty there will be ice till 3rd week of April for sure looking at the long range forecast and hearing whats being said. I guess i bought the extended version of an auger Smitty i have never use an extension maybe they got the midget edition. :lol: :lol: :lol: There is a lot of ice to melt if you look at the great lakes they are so frozen over and it hasn't been like that for 2 decades. So my suggestion is get out and ice fish and enjoy it as long as it lasts the best days are coming for anyone that knows what im talking about when it gets nice your fishing with ski pants on and a t-shirt sun sun ,,,,,so if your waiting to get the boat in i would just sit back for a couple of months because its not happening yet..... and for those that are going for greys in QC bring the ice auger :shock: :shock: :shock:

ice ice baby!! love it ,,,,fish on!
Lvace
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Lvace »

fishin mission wrote:ice ice baby!! love it ,,,,fish on!
Dam now I have that song in my head.......... :? One thing is for sure, I have it in my budget for a gas auger for the near future!!! Going threw 4+ feet of ice with a 8inch manual auger is very time consuming and tiring!!!!!!
Troutskiii
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Troutskiii »

tbone1088 wrote:It may be cold now but it doesn't take many warm days to thaw it out, a couple days of plus 8 or 10 should do it, hopefully this happens by mid-late april.

The ice ain't going nowhere anytime soon. Its definatly gonna take more then a few days for the ice to melt, 2+ft of ice on some of the back lakes that takes a long time to disappear.