Early spring pike tactics

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
tbone1088
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Early spring pike tactics

Post by tbone1088 »

Hey guys,
I'm headed out to a deep oligotrophic lake for victoria day long weekend camping trip and would like some pointers on catching pike. Been to this lake a few times before, and not had much luck. Temperature is usually around 60 to 65 in the main basin, and weedbeds are emerging from fairly deep water. Last year we hit up some bays, weedlines and weedbeds, coves and natural current producing areas, but found no fish. The few times we had luck the weather was overcast and we caught fish in the bays cruising around. Tactics we tried were topwaters, spinnerbaits and spoons, and we did some jig fishing. I have a feeling they are in the bays, but choosing which ones to try is difficult, we are canoe fishing and can't zoom from one to the other. What do you guys look for in a bay that makes it better than others?
GuinnessGuy
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Early spring pike tactics

Post by GuinnessGuy »

Try and figure out what other species are in the lake, and you should have an idea of where to find them (a little easier, anyway...)

What I mean is that pike act differently if its a bass lake than if its a walleye lake. When I'm on a bass lake for pike opener, I tend to hit rocky structures that drop into deep water. I fish deep, and somewhat slower. Jigging works, slow trolling as well. When I'm on a walleye lake, I tend to throw a big spoon (Williams Whitefish, or huge DareDevil) and reel it in super fast. If I'm trolling, I will do the same lines as I did for walleye, only 10-15 feet deeper, and much faster.

Throwing the spoon got me a lot of success last spring.
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

Tbone unfortunately you are far too limited as to where you can go by canoe on that lake. Most of the pike in that lake relate to deep water forage. Most of the pike fisherman go early season because they are so hard to catch once the water warms. By far the best place I know of is the big weed bed across big water by Flat Island but that's way too far for you by canoe. There is a Crappie population in the lake that you might be able to tap in to in some of those bays. You can also troll spoons or jig for Lakers on those nice quiet mornings and evenings. Probably be more productive than Pike fishing.

So to answer your question I would say find the closest good deep water and fish that bay.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
cbanford
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by cbanford »

Ya I'd pack your auger, cause you may still need it!!!
tbone1088
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by tbone1088 »

thanks for the info smitty, I won't be able to fish for lakers cuz they are oos, so crappy and pike are my only hopes. Looked at the map and think my best options are tallow bay and maybe killenbeck lake, what do you think?
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

tbone1088 wrote: I won't be able to fish for lakers cuz they are oos
Tbone Lakers are open this year the long weekend so you are good to go there. Tallow Rock Bay?? That's a long way to travel by canoe and there are very few weeds there except the very back of the bay. Now if you want to try for Lakers there that would be good. In fact it's my favorite out of the wind area to go for Lakers and produced well for me last year. I've fished there lots and have never seen a pike, but we've always been Laker fishing. I did catch one small Pike on the gang troll in Eastern Water a few years back.

The area between Fisher and Sheep islands has some deep water where I've marked some good baitfish schools. If you stay on the Fisher island side there is some great structure along those small islands as you head out towards the monument. Might be worth a try for Pike, and tossing or trolling spoons could pick up a Grey too.

Then again, with the super late ice out this year who knows what that will do to water temps. It might be still in the low fifty's, which could change everything lol. The Lakers could be caught off docks even. Crappie spawn around 57 deg so that could help figure out where they will be by finding the warmest water, like maybe in the back of Foster Bay or even Leader creek bay, but that's a long ways away. Find the small minnow schools and the Crappie should be around. Those same areas at the creek mouths should be real good for bullhead too if you're into drowning some worms as the sun sets. They would be excellent eating out of that lake. Bring a pail.

Here's an old map I found of the lake I found. Hand sketched in 1899. Pretty neat. D/l and viewed in a pic viewer is best.

Good luck with your holiday trip. It's a beautiful lake. Do you have a lake contour map?

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
tbone1088
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by tbone1088 »

thanks a bunch for all the useful info! I checked the mnr regs and it says that trout are opened on the may 24 weekend, we are going the weekend of the 17, victoria day weekend. Maybe I'm not reading the regs properly? Anyways, I appreciate the help and will make a post of all my catches... I hope :)