Poachers, what to do?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
rex.stpierre
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Poachers, what to do?

Post by rex.stpierre »

I live beside the Marina in Hull and keep taking my dog to the river for walks at night...For the fifth time this season, I found two mudpuppies and a ling dead on the ice. It's not the first time, ITS THE FIFTH TIME THIS WINTER. I walked over there with my gf last week and found four dead ling on the ice. One was still alive and I tossed it back. There were open holes but no one in sight.

I thought about putting a sign up saying, the river isn't yours, stop killing musky food. I've seen guys fish that south east corner of the docks at the hull marina but I've never walked over to see if they were leaving dead fish on the ice. I've also never seen guys fish there past 4 pm....And ling are more active at night.

The first two times were sad, but putting one back in the water and three more tonight, now I'm just mad...I'm not a very well tempered person.

What would be the best thing to do.
This year I spent most of my money on beer, women and fishing...the rest I wasted.
Valleyboy
Participant
Participant

Re: Poachers, what to do?

Post by Valleyboy »

These poacher morons obviously aren't very smart as Lingcod are delicious! People who waste natures bounty just totally pee pee me off!
rex.stpierre
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by rex.stpierre »

Valleyboy wrote:These poacher morons obviously aren't very smart as Lingcod are delicious! People who waste natures bounty just totally pee pee me off!
I was also told this, that ling is very tasty! I have yet to try it.
This year I spent most of my money on beer, women and fishing...the rest I wasted.
Daboss
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Daboss »

Damn right I'm good in the sack...I can sleep for hours!
rex.stpierre
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by rex.stpierre »

Since it's on the Quebec side, I sent an email last night. The Qc office that deals with tips called me right back. We had a short discussion and the Gatineau office will be advised. They are suppose to get back to me with more detail soon. I'll be fishing that area Sunday, I wouldn't be surprised if I saw them!
Bass Addict
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Bass Addict »

rex.stpierre wrote:IWhat would be the best thing to do.
Turn a blind eye !!
There will be an influx of Great Grey Owls in the winter of 2017
troutnmuskiehunter
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by troutnmuskiehunter »

Bass Addict wrote:
Turn a blind eye !!
I thought you loved eating Ling Paul :confusion-scratchheadyellow: :confusion-confused:
Eli
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Eli »

Can't fix stupid.
Report to MNR and hope for the best.
CNs
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by CNs »

What you are describing is "allowing fish to waste" which is an offense but not poaching.

Definition of POACH
intransitive verb
: to encroach upon especially for the purpose of taking something
: to trespass for the purpose of stealing game; also : to take game or fish illegally
transitive verb
: to trespass on <a field poached too frequently by the amateur — Times Literary Supplement>
a : to take (game or fish) by illegal methods
b : to appropriate (something) as one's own
Bass Addict
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Bass Addict »

troutnmuskiehunter wrote:
Bass Addict wrote:
Turn a blind eye !!
I thought you loved eating Ling Paul :confusion-scratchheadyellow: :confusion-confused:
Nah....I put ling and Mudpuppies in the same category as other coarse Garbage fish :ie Gobies/Asian Carp/Musky etc etc
There will be an influx of Great Grey Owls in the winter of 2017
Valleyboy
Participant
Participant

Post by Valleyboy »

Man,O,Man

U gotta try ling fillets soaked in buttermilk for 24 hours ( in your fridge of course) then pan fried in batter. Wouldn't eat dirty gobies but the ling cod is a native Canadian fish and their fillets have a very nice texture. don't knock it till u try it bass addict. Not quite as succulent as yearling bass fillets but still delicious if your a fish eater.
Valleyboy
Participant
Participant

Post by Valleyboy »

Haven't tried mud puppies or Asian Carp either but also note that Muskie is wonderful table fare but due to their formidable stature as the best fighting freshwater sporting fish as well as numerous protective laws and slot sizes, please release these fish back to fight again.

Mud puppies? Gross!
cgates
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by cgates »

Ummmm slush puppies
rex.stpierre
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by rex.stpierre »

Asian carp, gobies and lampreys are invasive... Mudpuppies ling and muskies are part of the ecosystem. I strongly disagree with your opinion.
Last edited by rex.stpierre on Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cgates
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by cgates »

rex.stpierre wrote:Asian carp, gobies and lampreys are invasive... Muspuppies ling and muskies are part of the ecosystem. I strongly disagree with your opinion.
There is a lot of donkeys on this sit LOL so take it for what it's worth!!!! Just call the MNR repot it and move on