darling long lake/ long lake creek

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: darling long lake/ long lake creek

Post by smitty55 »

Andrew there are brown and black Bullhead in there ,same as White Lake, but no catfish that I am aware of. Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
Raydar
Participant
Participant

Post by Raydar »

Last summer my father-in law and I were fishing for some browns, no luck.
But I did pull up a 2-3 lb cat. Big ugly fish, lol. After the perch ate most of our worms we ended the day with a couple small walters, so the trip wasn't a waste.
I have never seen the gates locked before but if there are problems and people don't respect his land than he has every right to close it. Sadly it only takes a couple of goofs to ruin it for everyone.
I’ve always wondered about the creek too.
Keep your line in the water and there will always be a smile on your face.
Moosebunk
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Moosebunk »

clint wrote:there is a trail that leads into it from the big power lines as well, i found it by accident and probably couldn't do it again but it is possible..
Here that dood! Made it through seemingly accidentally one time as well. Dunno if I could do it again.
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

Raydar are you sure it was a channel catfish? I once caught a 2 1/2 pound black bullhead in there on a minnow under a float from shore. I thought I had a Brown on. Talk about disappointed. It had a square tail, not a forked like cat. Mind you, some people do incorrectly call bullheads catfish. No big deal. I've also caught plenty of those huge black ones in White Lake in the middle of the summer. Surprisingly, they actually weren't too bad eating considering the time of year, but they were caught in deep cooler water.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
Raydar
Participant
Participant

Post by Raydar »

Well to 100% true, I don't remember the tail. Growing up anything with wiskers, was a catfish lol.
It was big and ugly and I wasn't going to eat it, lol. I thought it was a brown too, I had a worm on a jig head right on the bottom and it almost took the rod right of my hand. I was excited getting up to the top of the water but just like my prom date I was left with disappointment.
andrew1234
Participant
Participant

Post by andrew1234 »

To me anything that swims and has whiskers is yummy! Something about tge red meat you know? What i like to do in the spring when camping is ill open a can of beer (with a can opener) and ill put my catfish filets in there overnight and cook it tge next morning with butter and just a wee bit of brown sugur. I prefer tge stronger beers with the 7 % like some of the molson drys you get across the river.
ikissfish
Participant
Participant

Post by ikissfish »

lots of Brown Bullheads in this lake, although every one Ive seen has been small. Lots of small perch and small pumkinseed also. No size to anything in there it seems.
Raydar
Participant
Participant

Post by Raydar »

I'll second the small perch. Tons of the little guys in there.
They love to eat all you minnow's or worms right before the walters wake up, :lol:
arnpriormike
Participant
Participant

Post by arnpriormike »

Catfish in the creek? You couldn't be more wrong. There would be mud pout/bullhead, minnows and maybe perch. That's it chum!...... You are willing to travel that far in god's country to catch catfish in a creek? Wow! Fish the Ottawa river man!
RyanW
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by RyanW »

---
Last edited by RyanW on Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
613 Ice Fishing
On Facebook
Raydar
Participant
Participant

Post by Raydar »

And now you know the rest of the story.
andrew1234
Participant
Participant

Post by andrew1234 »

Lol i wpuldnt go all the way there for catfish but thstd not to say that i wouldnt spend a bit of time targeting them
bobfly
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by bobfly »

I wasn't going to post on this string anymore but I was curious about Darling Long. I've fished it for years and only caught one small brown but I have seen large ones caught and a partner had two big ones break off after seeing it in the air. It is a tough lake to fish but I hope they will continue to stock it as they do grow big there. Lots of perch in there as well. If you look at the Crown Land Use Map you will see that the entire lake is surrounded by Crown Land and there are a series of Crown parcels to 511 but that is not where the road goes. It goes through private land. The gate has only been closed during hunting season. I don't know if the owner has changed his mind. You can approach it from the other side by following the hydro line from behind Mount Pakenham. I haven't done it. You can walk in from White Lake but you can't drive as there are some major ditches in the way. Can't comment on paddling in via the creek. I somehow doubt it but it is worth a try. Let us know if you do it.
bobfly
bobfly
ikissfish
Participant
Participant

Post by ikissfish »

I tried accessing this lake when those large trees were cut down :evil: whichever "person" did this had obviously wanted to keep people from accessing the lake for whatever reason.

I suppose there "could" be other people accessing the lake through ways other than the usual access point, however the ONLY other access point I have seen is via the trail on the extreme north east shore where I have seen a tinny parked on the shore line. Now I am NOT SAYING that this person is responsible for cutting down the trees, I am simply saying that whoever did it, obviously did not want anybody else accessing the lake via the usual access point.

I don't think that MNR has stocked this lake in the last couple years have they? I bet they have given up considering the amount of predatory fish in there that will eat up the Brown fingerlings like mad as soon as they put them in. The only way this lake could sustain a stocking of Browns is to stock larger brown trout. (IMHO)
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

They're still stocking Browns even though they know that they're feeding the Walleye. I was sure the lists used to say fingerlings but know they say yearlings. Hmmm, something fishy there.

Here's the last 8 years stocking lists. Fish On Line is not correct. It even shows Rainbows in the lake. Duhhh

Lanark Darling Long Lake- 6,853 3,200 7,000 2,750 7,550 7,500 7,500 2,750
Smitty

Straight shooter