Big changes in Quebec...

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Big changes in Quebec...

Post by RJ »

Well it appears Smitty's buddy was right when he posted about the changes over there. From what I'm reading there ice fishing will no longer be permitted in any lakes than contain Lakers. Kinda drastic to me but I'm not surprised one bit.

http://www.mddefp.gouv.qc.ca/infuseur/c ... sp?No=2767

Clearly Smitty's post wasn't just a jab at the "Amigo's".. :lol: :lol:

RJ
Tip-up
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Re: Big changes in Quebec...

Post by Tip-up »

Wonder how they will determine what lakes to close as most of the surveys done on a lot of smaller bodies of water were studied in the 60's, 70's and earlier. Many lakes that have been noted as extinct of lake trout still have small populations of them. This will be interesting.
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

RJ wrote:Well it appears Smitty's buddy was right when he posted about the changes over there. From what I'm reading there ice fishing will no longer be permitted in any lakes than contain Lakers. Kinda drastic to me but I'm not surprised one bit.

http://www.mddefp.gouv.qc.ca/infuseur/c ... sp?No=2767

Clearly Smitty's post wasn't just a jab at the "Amigo's".. :lol: :lol:

RJ
Well thanks RJ. I appreciate that. :)

As I recall it was never a jab at anyone. I was simply passing on information that had been told to me. It was a"certain" group that jumped at the chance to get on my case. Just like my post on Cabelas coming to Ottawa, although I did get the name wrong lol. No big deal. Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
NMG
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by NMG »

This is a pretty common regulation back in BC in the area I'm from. They tend to use it on lakes with sensitive Lake Trout populations or for lakes that are being managed as trophy fisheries. I haven't been back there in a couple of years so I'm not sure how it is working out, but I do know that guys used to HAMMER the big Lakers through the ice on those lakes before the regs were put into place and that catch rates for those big fish were far higher in the winter months than in the soft water season.

From a conservation point of view, I wouldn't have an issue with this type of regulation and/or C&R requirements and/or slot limits for Lakers in certain waters.
Bass Addict
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Bass Addict »

Wasn't the post about the lack of white fish in 31 mile lake;....something about a certain gang from fish-hawk over harvesting them ????
There will be an influx of Great Grey Owls in the winter of 2017
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

Bass Addict wrote:Wasn't the post about the lack of white fish in 31 mile lake;....something about a certain gang from fish-hawk over harvesting them ????
Whoaaa. Easy Paul. Good try lol, but still kinda lame. There was absolutely never any insinuation on my part any time about anyone breaking any laws in that thread. I was actually trying to be helpful, as would be obvious to most. My thread was doing fine for 5 posts until you chimed in with derogatory comments about my friend and then accused me of something you made up to stir the pot, which you enjoy doing and was in fashion at the time. No problem. I get it. I even played along a bit if you didn't notice. Even Jimmy jumped in lol.

Sorry, but I ain't playing no more. Folks can make up their own minds. It won't be hard.
Smitty

Straight shooter
Eli
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Eli »

Will they announce a master list of lakes that have lake trout and therefore cannot be fished in the winter?

I have a few lakes I go to for perch and have no idea if there are lakers in them or not. Deep lakes, so probably.

Hearts in the right place, but this reg is overkill.
Spezza_Fan
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Spezza_Fan »

Yeah this is certainly going to be interesting when it comes to ice fishing...

I fish a couple of lakes that have the occasional lakers in them so I'm hoping they come out with a list of lakes that are closed to ice fishing.
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

smitty55 wrote:
Bass Addict wrote:Wasn't the post about the lack of white fish in 31 mile lake;....something about a certain gang from fish-hawk over harvesting them ????
Whoaaa. Easy Paul. Good try lol, but still kinda lame. There was absolutely never any insinuation on my part any time about anyone breaking any laws in that thread. I was actually trying to be helpful, as would be obvious to most. My thread was doing fine for 5 posts until you chimed in with derogatory comments about my friend and then accused me of something you made up to stir the pot, which you enjoy doing and was in fashion at the time. No problem. I get it. I even played along a bit if you didn't notice. Even Jimmy jumped in lol.

Sorry, but I ain't playing no more. Folks can make up their own minds. It won't be hard.
Me? Jumped in?
NEVER!!! 8)
fishlover
Participant
Participant

Post by fishlover »

The only lake I have permission to fish on in QC has lake trout in it! Go figure- thank you for the info
No matter how many fish I land, it's ones that got away I think about most. :']
Fishoholic
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Fishoholic »

In English anywhere? I check the site and it doesn't look like this release is in English yet. Funny how if the Ontario ministry released something in English only the language police would be up in arms yet good luck finding anything in Englsih over there. They've got their trout fishing right at least. I'll have to wait and see if they release it in English to take a read.
Eli
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Eli »

Maybe Ontario will follow suit and close all fishing on the Great Lakes and tribs as part of the Atlantic Salmon recovery strategy :lol:
StarTzar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by StarTzar »

Fishoholic wrote:In English anywhere? I check the site and it doesn't look like this release is in English yet. Funny how if the Ontario ministry released something in English only the language police would be up in arms yet good luck finding anything in Englsih over there. They've got their trout fishing right at least. I'll have to wait and see if they release it in English to take a read.
They will (or not) eventually translate the press release.
In the meantime here is a link for English versions of some of the french press releases.

Report back if you find something interesting.

http://www.mddefp.gouv.qc.ca/communiques_en/index.htm
BAA - 2016 Team 18 (10 shy of 28)
Renegade Bass - 2013 Team 67 - 2014 Team 28 - 2015 Team 51
BAA (Great organization) 2011 and 2012 Team 7
Bass Addict
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Bass Addict »

smitty55 wrote:

Slow down there Cheif !!.....yes I'm a chit disturber, yes I love to stir the pot always have and always will !!!.....I find it odd that your buddy thinks 31 mile lake gets Pounded for White fish. Been there many, many times and very few people out fishing :? :? :?
There will be an influx of Great Grey Owls in the winter of 2017
fishin mission
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by fishin mission »

I've only ever seen one person at 31 mile hammering whities he drive a Sunfire i think ? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: