February Perch

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
jona38
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

February Perch

Post by jona38 »

My buddy and I decided to move the shack from our normal hotspot. Things got a little to crowed this year so we thought we would spend the rest of the year at a spot we knew produced that no one else seems to fish. The walleye bite is slowing just as it does every year on White Lake but the perch are on fire. I couldn't even guess how many we caught but here are a few pics of the keepers. We also got 5 walleye. A pair of 22''ers and 3 little cigars. It's nice to see these little guy for the health and future of the lake. Also, we each had a nice walleye come un-glued in the hole. The biggest perch was 13''. Jon
Attachments
feb 2 016.jpg
feb 2 016.jpg (122.73 KiB) Viewed 2724 times
feb 2 017.jpg
feb 2 017.jpg (136.4 KiB) Viewed 2724 times
feb 2 011.jpg
feb 2 011.jpg (1.11 MiB) Viewed 2724 times
OntarioRider
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: February Perch

Post by OntarioRider »

Awesome.
I don't think I will get a chance to get out this weekend but next weekend I am hoping to head to White Lake.
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

Way to go Jon. Real nice perch there that will make a great meal. I agree that it's a very good sign to pick up those small Pickerel too, as it shows good for the fishery in that lake.
Funny, someone recently posted this. "The reports I've heard about White Lake is that the fishing has been terrible the past number of years. The likely cause is warming water and over harvesting". I guess it shows how wrong he is about this lake too.

I was recently invited to head out to a new shack out there. Out by Kitty island. Apparently it's a mini cabin at 8'x16'. Have you seen it? Sound more like a community meeting place lol. I'd be quite happy picking up a mess of those February perch. Were you jigging or using set lines?

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
jona38
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by jona38 »

Ya I'm pretty sure I know the shack you talking about. We caught them all jigging in 15' of water. Minnows get a lot of attention on the flasher but not as many bites. I switched to half a worm on a Slow Death hook with a split shot and got a lot more that way. Jon
Lvace
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Lvace »

Gives a new meaning to "Freddy" Krueger lol nice perch!!
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

White Lake is one of those lakes very few talk about, especially when the fishing is good.. :lol:

Great perchin'!

RJ
jona38
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by jona38 »

RJ wrote:White Lake is one of those lakes very few talk about, especially when the fishing is good.. :lol:

Great perchin'!

RJ
Is this a polite way of sayin I should keep my mouth shut??
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Lord no fella! It's great to see the lake producing. Many moons ago it was a hub for tourism. The walleye fishing took a dip but the Bass fishing became great so hopefully the tourists came back.

RJ
jona38
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by jona38 »

RJ wrote:Lord no fella! It's great to see the lake producing. Many moons ago it was a hub for tourism. The walleye fishing took a dip but the Bass fishing became great so hopefully the tourists came back.

RJ
Cool. Just checking. I'll be honest, as a newer Fish-Hawk member I'm a little hesitant to even post on this site. Seems as though there's a lot of haters here looking for fresh meat. Not that I think your one of them RJ, I actually really enjoy your posts and your website. Jon
toddc
Participant
Participant

Post by toddc »

smitty strikes again!! lol
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

jona38 wrote: Cool. Just checking. I'll be honest, as a newer Fish-Hawk member I'm a little hesitant to even post on this site. Seems as though there's a lot of haters here looking for fresh meat. Not that I think your one of them RJ, I actually really enjoy your posts and your website. Jon
Thanks. Post away, we need new life on this site!

RJ
Doug
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Doug »

I'd rather have a feast of fresh perch than just about anything else - and keeping a good feed does not hurt a lake one bit.

I am hearing more and more anglers around here (Kingston) discouraged about the slot limits on walleye in FMZ 18. Most of the catch is not in the slot size so goes back down the hole. I spoke with a long-time guide yesterday and he was saying that on Lake X where he takes clients they are getting zero fish they can keep.

So bring on the perch! :D

Doug
Last edited by Doug on Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Doug wrote: I am hearing more and more anglers around here (Kingston) discouraged about the slot limits on walleye in FMZ 18. Most of the catch is in the slot size so goes back down the hole. I spoke with a long-time guide yesterday and he was saying that on Lake X where he takes clients they are getting zero fish they can keep.

So bring on the perch! :D

Doug
Are they above or below the slot Doug? Because if they are "in" the slot, those are the keepers.

RJ
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

Those are some nice perch Jona! Congrats on a great day on the hard stuff.
Craig S
Participant
Participant

Post by Craig S »

Those are some great perch. At first glance, it looks like a bunch of St. Lawrence "jumbos". And as Doug stated above, they're tough to beat in the pan.

Craig